artic silver3-about the 200hour burn in

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
I find that properly installed AS (using Ceramique now) settles pretty quickly (generally 24hrs or less). Any added benefit that comes later is just gravy and usually doesn't effect overclockability at all. (I use a P4 and haven't really ever seen any settling benefit past the first day)

I think a mountain has been made from a molehill over the 200hr disclaimer.

If you have noticed there is a different installation procedure for Athlon processors for Ceramique on AS's website, which probably accounts for the long settling period. If you do it the old way and install with a thin layer (and have some skill in installing the heatsink so you don't mess up the layer or damage the core), then I am sure your settling time would be less.

Anyway, thats my 2¢.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Here's my experience in the last two weeks, which should give everyone a good idea of what works best. When I got my 3000+, I knew I'd be putting on the SLK-700 w/74mm TMD fan that I'd be getting in a few days. So I just used the stock hsf AND stock thermal pad material to start with. No load temp ran between 55-56c.

Got the SLK-700, so I removed the stock hsf and cleaned the thermal crap off the chip. Then I found that I was out of AS3, so I used some cheapo white thermal paste I had sitting around. Average temp dropped to ~54c. I certainly don't attribute that to the crummy paste I used, so that was probably just due to the new hsf combo.

It was a couple of days before I could restock AS3, but once I did get it in, I removed the hsf, cleaned off the white crap, and applied the AS3. Since I did not have time to remove the entire mobo from the case, I'm certain that the application was thicker than it should be, probably about 3x as much as recommend (that'd be ~.010 instead of the .003). Right away the no load temp dropped to ~52-53c.

It's been several days now, and the load temp runs between 49c and 51c, depending on the ambient computer room tempature. Occasionaly I've seen it as low as 47c!

MiExStacY

Mar 15, 2001
-update-

after almost 3weeks of 100% load to the cpu my temp has not change.oh well it never goes above 55c anyways but i was hoping for better results.although my fan on my vga card died and reapllying it with as3 and a tt orb fan has made me really happy.i got 45mhz more overclock on the memory of my gf3 ti200 and 10mhz on core. i'm going to start putting as3 on anything i can put on it:)

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Over the past few weeks, my CPU temp has gradually dropped by a few degrees.

Now I'm really looking forward to trying the Ceramique - and it's non-conductive too, so I can go back to being a slob when applying it.

awolkoff

Jul 13, 2003
Can you believe my stock Intel Heatsink/Fan is cooling my P4 2.4b OC'd to 3060Mhz with 1.625 volts on the core to a cool 49.5C/121F at 100% load? (ambient temp is 79F, by the way)

What MB are you using?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Got some Ceramique and a protype next generation Artic Silver (AS4?) in today. I'm going to build a new machine specifically to test these puppies this coming week. Even though I'm sorely tempted to put one or the other on my own setup sometime earlier.......:eek:

Thanks, Nev!

Jan 31, 2002
Firstly, my experiences:

Using genuine AS3, I've seen a small (2-3c) temperature drop within a 48-hour period. I do use the "correct" method to apply it, and not a trowel. ;) Currently got a 1.3 Celeron at 38C under load with 100% passive cooling.

Secondly, maluckey.

Did you fall out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down? You blather on about inane subjects like capacitor life and "your" Yamaha in a thread about AS3's setting time. You could have just said "Haven't seen any burn-in reduction myself" and that would have been all. Instead, you choose to waste bandwidth, air, and time.

And then, when you get tipped off to potential phony AS3 by an employee of the company, you proceed to get your panties in a bunch and call him rude. Considering their products are pretty evenly appreciated if not revered across the board, that's asking for trouble. Add the fact that you're ... well, a n00b ... and you use the phrase "our members". Something about this conjurs up mental images of the nerdy Poindexter with the aviator glasses standing near the cool kids and pretending he's one of them.

Thank you.

- M4H

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
Discussing AS in this forum always seems to conjure up the same people. The only advice I have for everyone is to thing critically and not to believe what you read here. Take it for what it is, do your research and you will reach a more correct conclusion. There are too many people defending this stuff around here as if their jobs depended on it (;).

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Richardito
Discussing AS in this forum always seems to conjure up the same people. The only advice I have for everyone is to thing critically and not to believe what you read here. Take it for what it is, do your research and you will reach a more correct conclusion. There are too many people defending this stuff around here as if their jobs depended on it (;).

"Discussing AS in this forum always seems to conjure up the same people" and the same trolls and a lazy one at that, as you apparently were in such a hurry to slander Nevin and his products that you failed to read the thread to find out if the advice you gave means anything (other than you carry a chip on your shoulder for whatever reason). Advice was asked about a particular product, some real bogus information was disseminated and refuted by people with experience using the product. We already know of your particular bias against said product, why don't you just leave it at that.

I was kinda enjoying reading the forums again until I seen your Toxic Avatar (appropriate for someone whose demeanor is caustic).

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
oo man i wanna try some ceramique (is it better than as2? that's what im using) or some as4 :D

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
ceramic is also very good, but i dont suggest using it on a P4 (or a large heatspreader cpu).
the stuff is so sticky, and so hard to thin out, that you WILL rip out the cpu from the socket upon HS removal :(

TRUMPHENT

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: THUGSROOK
i dont have a job ~ AS3 is great stuff :D

When I didn't have a job, I got Arctic Alumina. It was good. It did not conduct. I got a job and got Arctic Ceramique in the Jumbo tube. Go figure, for something that is supposed to be used sparingly, I buy a lifetime supply. Ceramique is better.

Arctic Silver didn't publish the thermal resistance for Ceramique like they did for other compounds. On the same cpu/HSF the Ceramique started out 3-4 degrees F lower and hasn't dropped since. I don't know if I applied it more correctly or if it is all because of Ceramique.

My view of the effectiveness of the HSF is dependent on the flatness of the heatsink followed by the smoothness of the heatsink. Then the correct application of the thermal compound and installation of the heatsink. The composition of the thermal compound is secondary to all that went before.

For those that use too much, the new compounds will simply ooze out from the pressure of the heatsink with time. That is good unless the compound is conductive and oozes onto something it shouldn't.

There is a thing called the "Point of Diminishing Returns". For me, I have reached it with Arctic Ceramique and lapping.
:beer::D

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: WarCon
Originally posted by: Richardito

"Discussing AS in this forum always seems to conjure up the same people" and the same trolls and a lazy one at that, as you apparently were in such a hurry to slander Nevin and his products that you failed to read the thread to find out if the advice you gave means anything (other than you carry a chip on your shoulder for whatever reason). Advice was asked about a particular product, some real bogus information was disseminated and refuted by people with experience using the product. We already know of your particular bias against said product, why don't you just leave it at that.

I was kinda enjoying reading the forums again until I seen your Toxic Avatar (appropriate for someone whose demeanor is caustic).

Actually, since it was a written attack (not spoken), it's libel, not slander ;).

dejacky

Banned
Dec 17, 2000
Wierd Artic thermal products problem. I really hope that this problem is due to me not properly applying the thermal paste and/or ceramique. I have both Artic Silver III and the ceramiq compounds. After about 2-3 months of use, my cpu temperatures increase noticeably. Each thermal compound would initially decreased cpu temps 3-5 degrees celsius, but after 2-3 months the temperatures would increase into the 50 degress celsius range..which is high for my uses. I've applied thin layers of both compounds verbatim of the proper method to apply it...i.e. using alcohol to clean the surface (with latex glove on hand), then applying a thin layer and evening it out with a razor. Any suggestions or possible scenarios of what causes this?

-dejacky

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
What does the compound look like when you take it off? Still evenly spread or does it look kinda thin in the center and thicker around the edges? Might be pump out. Are you using a powerful fan on your heatsink? When you feel the heatsink while running is there a vibration in it? Vibration might be amplifying the tendancy for small core to pump out the compound. I know they designed AS2 (and I am guessing AS3 and up) to be somewhat proof against pumpout, but its possible I guess. Thats one of the primary reasons AMD recommends pads (that and the tendancy to crack/chip cores during installation).

Another thing to check is the amount of dust built up in heatsink after 2-3 months. Might be enough to effect temps.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Is it just me, or does anyone else STILL fail to see the relationship between capacitors on a motherboard and Arctic Silver 3?????

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Is it just me, or does anyone else fail to see the relationship between capacitors on a motherboard and Arctic Silver 3?????

Yeah we got over that ................:)

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Is it just me, or does anyone else STILL fail to see the relationship between capacitors on a motherboard and Arctic Silver 3?????

What?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: pspada

What?

Do you know that the average life of the electrolytic capacitors is about 2000 hours? Look it up in your Digikey catalog. Some motherrboard makers (Abit, Asus, etc) use Nichicon, Os Con, and such, forr caps, so have longer life. If it requires this long to get any use from the HS compound, then you will be replacing the capacitors, and likely the motherboard after a twenty four hour per day burn in around four months, long before you get maximum gain. Use the stuff, burn it in for a day or two in combination with a better HS, and be done with it. I'm sure it's great and all, but great enough to wait till rebuild time for your board, just to see maximum results?

That being said, I am currently using the stuff, because I did a "me too!" I saw it at Comp USA and gave them the cash. I see little, if any difference (my room temps fluctuate too much to tell). Would I buy it again? No, I'm going to use only the cheap stuff, as I take the assembly apart from time to time, and a four month burn-in seems absurd to me.

I'd like to find a compound with less than 24 hour burn-in that outperforms the cheap stuff by a price/performance margin worth noting.