Artic Silver 5 (200 hour break-in)?

Refractoryman

Jan 6, 2003
For all Artic Silver 5 users. Is there really an additional temp drop after the 200 hour break in they talk about? Does it stay soft or harden up after the 200 hours. Just curious. I've removed my heat sink several times this week either re-seating it or most recently installing the Zalman CNPS9500. Even with that installation I had to remove it clean and re-install trying to get the scres lined up. Every time I removed it the Artic Silver 5 was soft, CPU slid around on it, and it seemed like it had a vacuum seal because I had to apply some force to remove it. Any way all is well now as shown below.

ROOM TEMP 22 °C (71 °F)

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Asus A8V Series
Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures
Motherboard 26 °C (79 °F)
CPU 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU 44 °C (111 °F)
GPU Ambient 41 °C (106 °F)
Maxtor 7L250R0 34 °C (93 °F)
Maxtor 7L250R0 33 °C (91 °F)
Maxtor 7L250R0 34 °C (93 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2482 RPM
Chassis 1133 RPM
Power Supply 1061 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.33 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 12.16 V

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
AS5 is not supposed to harden. And if you manage to leave your HSF in place for more than a year (few around here seem to be able to leave things alone that long ;) ), then I recommend a re-do.

.bh.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I apply once and forget about it. They do harden after a while. When I remove the old AMD CPU and HSF, the AS5 is solid. When I removed the AC Freezer Pro 7 from my current system (after about 2 weeks), the AS5 looks kinda watery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the break-in period. Just use your computer like you normally do. And if the temps are right, who cares.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
For all Artic Silver 5 users. Is there really an additional temp drop after the 200 hour break in they talk about?

People who have used it myself included qustion the temperature reduction...yet others say YES there is...its a total crapshhot what if any temperature reduction you will achieve!

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Once again... ;)

Source
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.
Put another way... :)
  • 1) Arctic Silver 5 requires at least 200 hours (of uptime) and several thermal cycles (extended downtime) to burn-in.
  • 2) This will take longer on systems with low speed fans on their CPU/GPU heatsinks (or passive heatsinks).
  • 3) On systems that measure temps via the CPU's internal diode, you will SOMETIMES SEE temps drop 2C to 5C during burn-in, e.g. systems that measure temps with thermistors (on the pins -- under the sockets, or whatever) won't experience any MEASURABLE drop during burn-in.
  • 4) Burn-in will occur as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature, e.g. burn-in will take forever, if you leave your computer on 24/7 after applying AS5.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: VinDSL
Once again... ;)

Source
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.
Put another way... :)
  • 1) Arctic Silver 5 requires at least 200 hours (of uptime) and several thermal cycles (extended downtime) to burn-in.
  • 2) This will take longer on systems with low speed fans on their CPU/GPU heatsinks (or passive heatsinks).
  • 3) On systems that measure temps via the CPU's internal diode, you will SOMETIMES SEE temps drop 2C to 5C during burn-in, e.g. systems that measure temps with thermistors (on the pins -- under the sockets, or whatever) won't experience any MEASURABLE drop during burn-in.
  • 4) Burn-in will occur as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature, e.g. burn-in will take forever, if you leave your computer on 24/7 after applying AS5.

the benefits of using AS5 no matter what site you use as proof there could be some benefit...at best its still a crap shhot as to what if any reduction in temp will occur on a given computer...

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
the benefits of using AS5 no matter what site you use as proof there could be some benefit...at best its still a crap shhot as to what if any reduction in temp will occur on a given computer...
Yeah, true, but I *think* the OPER was asking about burn-in, more than anything -- or more to the point, why it isn't burning-in for him.

Personally, my grease-of-choice lately is Scythe MX-1, so I'm not suggesting he use AS5 -- just commenting on the proper burn-in procedure, which nobody follows anyway!

I'll even go further! Use AS5 at your own peril, especially on GPUs... :)

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
i've noticed a temp difference between the first day and the next 6 months, only higher/lower due to seasonal temperature temp

txtmstrjoe

Aug 10, 2006
This is a dodgy question, because the temp readings we see depend greatly on specific circumstances: Processor type; case; cable management; load on the machine; ambient temperatures; ambient air pressure; installer's ability to do the job correctly.

With so many variables, there are no guarantees when it comes to a product like AS5, in my opinion. To wit: I've recently changed my HSF to an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro from a ThermalTake MiniTyphoon. The MiniTyphoon gave me, on average, on-die temperatures for my X2 4400+ of 35 degs C on idle, 48 degs C on 100% stress load tests. This was with an admittedly poor application of AS5 (a little too thick), and after a long-enough period where I saw no temperature drop. The only variances I saw, all 2-4 degs C worth, were due more to the ambient temperatures than anything else. I gave the whole setup a good month or so of diligent temp monitoring and normal computer use, including playing games on it. And yes, I did observe the temps during the recommended burn in period of circa 200 hrs (with changing heat cycles and all). The temps fluctuated, but not significantly so.

I took off the MiniTyphoon and installed the AC Freezer 64 Pro. This time I used a minimal amount of AS5. I also spread a very thin layer of the stuff on the heatsink base, then wiped off the stuff that I could get with a lint-free cloth. I installed the AC Freezer 64 Pro, burned it in again using the recommended guidelines, and also observed the temps. The X2 4400+'s temps are lower now, with a low average of 31 degs C on idle, and average peaks of around 43-46 degs C on full stress loads. But when I had first installed the AC Freezer 64 Pro, the weather here in L.A. was so hot, and the idle temperatures were consequently around 35-36 degs C (in other words, the same as they were when I was using the MiniTyphoon). Presently, the weather is much more pleasant.

Now here's the question: How much of these temperature changes have to do with AS5? How about the two HSFs involved? Or how about my own personal methods of applying AS5? How about the ambient temperatures here in my room in SoCal, where the weather's been like a yo-yo?

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
it really does vary between computer and user. i have a high airflow case, with the stock heatsink this came with, and i dont hit over 42C, i idle around 35-36C. my athlon 64 was in the low 30's and mid/high 30's on load. its all on how good the heatsink is, and the airflow of your case. and how well you apply it. i think i got mine pretty good, and thats why my temps seem to stay really low all the time.(that and how my setup is)

edit: on my old barton 3200 i noticed a huge drop, something in the 4-7C range in temps from when i first bought the cpu, seated the heatsink and fan n everything, to when it was all broken in.

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
With the computer I am using right now, the HS/F hasn't come off in over 2 years.

There has been no noticable difference in temp readings other than seasonal difference or time to give it a dusting.

Matter of fact I probably will never remove it, unless temps actually show a problem.

That said... I have never noticed any difference in temps after "break-in" with either AS3 or AS5.

Ridesy

Feb 4, 2006
Hi,

Just my personal observations, but having installed STORM CPU block using AS5 some 3 months ago and having left it alone since with many "Thermal Cycles" (as it is switched off each evening) I have noticed a quite significant 3-4C cooler CPU temp than immediately after installation.

Room temps very similar and nothing else has changed, so I suppose for me this shows that performance on my rig did improve after initial "burn in time", but whether this would be replicated on all systems - who knows!?

Personally I would say applying a smaller amount than you would ever think practical is a better way to get performance (provided you have a nice flat A64 processor and not a wobbly C2D one).

Ridesy

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, so far after a week of testing mine I saw a drop of 1C (using core temp). 1C isnt huge but it seems to be in line with what I heard most people saying a centigrade or two in difference. I'm happy with it. I'll continue to monitor it and see what it does.