Arthur Anderson Conviction Overturned

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
AP: WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court has overturned the conviction of the Arthur Andersen accounting firm for destroying documents related to its Enron Corp. account before the energy giant's collapse.

In an unanimous opinion, justices said the former Big Five accounting firm's June 2002 conviction was improper. It said the jury instructions at trial were too vague and broad for jurors to determine correctly whether Andersen obstructed justice.

"The jury instructions here were flawed in important respects," Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote for the court.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
AP: WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court has overturned the conviction of the Arthur Andersen accounting firm for destroying documents related to its Enron Corp. account before the energy giant's collapse.

In an unanimous opinion, justices said the former Big Five accounting firm's June 2002 conviction was improper. It said the jury instructions at trial were too vague and broad for jurors to determine correctly whether Andersen obstructed justice.

"The jury instructions here were flawed in important respects," Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote for the court.

Pretty apparent the palms of the USSC were greased well. So sad :(

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Judicial Activism?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Do you have any clue about the case or are you just spouting due to ignorance? Nevermind - I'm sure I know the answer.

Seems to me the Prosecution screwed this up with their zeal to get a conviction. If the facts support a conviction, the use of overbearing rhetoric isn't necessary. Hopefully, this isn't the end of it. I hope their is some recourse for the prosecution in this case.

CsG

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Do you have any clue about the case or are you just spouting due to ignorance? Nevermind - I'm sure I know the answer.

Seems to me the Prosecution screwed this up with their zeal to get a conviction. If the facts support a conviction, the use of overbearing rhetoric isn't necessary. Hopefully, this isn't the end of it. I hope their is some recourse for the prosecution in this case.

CsG

And who give the jury instructions?

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Judicial Activism?

It was a unanimous decision. It was about criminal procedure, they didn't get a fair trial according to the S.C. - If this was a 5-4 decision I would be wary, but 9-0?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

What type of grease did you determine. And manufacturer of it?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Judicial Activism?

It was a unanimous decision. It was about criminal procedure, they didn't get a fair trial according to the S.C. - If this was a 5-4 decision I would be wary, but 9-0?

I was thinking more down the line to whoever gave the jury instructions in the first place.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
So please refresh my memory... has anybody been found guilty of anything regarding the Enron scandal? (Guilty and it stuck, that is.)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I thinik a couple of the execs had pleaded guilty and are heading to prison. I believe one of the guys got like 450 years after not pleading guilty and then being found guilty.

There is a website around that shows all the major players. Surprisingly a lot of them are in prison or about to be convicted. You wont hear about that in the media however ;)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Yes there have been people tried and convicted in the Enron matter. More over, there have been many to plead guilty as well.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Judicial Activism?

I was thinking more down the line to whoever gave the jury instructions in the first place.

The Judge in the case was Melinda Harmon and was nominaed by......George H. W. Bush in 1989.

http://www.fjc.gov/public/home.nsf/hisj

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87
I thinik a couple of the execs had pleaded guilty and are heading to prison. I believe one of the guys got like 450 years after not pleading guilty and then being found guilty.

There is a website around that shows all the major players. Surprisingly a lot of them are in prison or about to be convicted. You wont hear about that in the media however ;)

and they'll use this overturn as a get out of jail free card.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

CsG

I hope there is some recourse for the people who lied about the evidence against Iraq also .. and for those who used high school childrens research papers.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm not sure. The supreme court didn't rule Arthur Anderson as innocent. That is a big difference. They simply ruled that AA didn't get a fair trial. And interviews of the AA jury implied that they would have convicted AA even with the stricter sumpreme court's definitions.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

What about Ken Lay... will they get all of his assets he has had 5+ years to hide around the world while staying out of jail?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Doubtful since many of them pleaded guilty and they are seperate cases.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dahunan

What about Ken Lay... will they get all of his assets he has had 5+ years to hide around the world while staying out of jail?

I dont know look up his court case.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
While the jury instructions may have been incorrect, the reality was that the shredding of documents went far far beyond a piece of good housekeeping and tidy-mindedness.