Art of Soldering

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
So this is what I do.

1) Fire up the soldering wand thingy.

2) Take my solder and melt a fair bit onto the tip

3) Smear the tip across the two components I'm connecting.

Am I doing it right?How do you do the really small stuff?

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
i don't think you want to be touching the tip of the soldering iron onto your components.

*edit*
nevermind me; i stand corrected.

bobert

Dec 6, 2004
i always thought you used the iron to heat up the components then touch the solder at the joint or where the components touch and it will melt since they are hot. don't think you are supposed to use the iron to transfer the solder

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bobert
i always thought you used the iron to heat up the components then touch the solder at the joint or where the components touch and it will melt since they are hot. don't think you are supposed to use the iron to transfer the solder

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
O RLY? I did not know that.

What about wire splicing? How do they do that solder coating you see on some wire tips for basic bread boarding, is there a solder crimper/infuser or dipper?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Stiganator

What about wire splicing? How do they do that solder coating you see on some wire tips for basic bread boarding, is there a solder crimper/infuser or dipper?

If the wire is pre tinned it can be dipped in a solder pot.

NEVER apply the solder to the tip other than to tin/clean it.

ALWAYS apply heat to the wire up from the joint and the solder at the wire ends. The heat will be conducted through the leads rapidly, melt the solder and flow throughout producing a solid joint. Also don't move the wire for a few seconds while the solder solidifies. If it loses its shiny appearance because it was moved, apply heat again and let it cool. This prevents cold solder joints.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: bobert

this is correct

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Originally posted by: Stiganator

If the wire is pre tinned it can be dipped in a solder pot.

NEVER apply the solder to the tip other than to tin/clean it.

ALWAYS apply heat to the wire up from the joint and the solder at the wire ends. The heat will be conducted through the leads rapidly, melt the solder and flow throughout producing a solid joint. Also don't move the wire for a few seconds while the solder solidifies. If it loses its shiny appearance because it was moved, apply heat again and let it cool. This prevents cold solder joints.

Is there anything you are not omniscient about :Q

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
I see flux hasn't been mentioned yet. Flux is important for soldering.

Most common electrical work uses solder with a flux core (rosin core solder).

And no it hasn't been approved for use with the flux capacitor. :D

Originally posted by: n7

Is there anything you are not omniscient about :Q

Lots of stuff. :)

Learn something new every day - never a dull moment!

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The key things to getting a good solder joint are:
Preparation (make sure that the wires and circuit board are clean, shiny and free from grease. If the board isn't tinned or gold plated, then you should polish it with a polishing stone or emery paper)

Use the right tools/materials - Make sure you use a decent quality electronic solder with multi-core flux. Don't try and use plumber's solder, silver solder, etc. Use a soldering iron with an appropriately sized bit - a 2mm wedge bit, is reasonable for general use. A 1mm bit may be better for fine work. The standard bit is often far too large to be useful for small electronics. Go for a 25W-40W iron - the smaller 10W ones won't cope with heavy stuff, or with the newer lead-free solder. (The lead-free stuff needs a higher temp than lead solder, and weak irons might not be able to manage it).

Remeber that you need heat to make the joint. Heat your wires, and then once they're up to temperature apply the solder and let it flow. Once the solder starts flowing to form the joint, remove the iron. A trace of wet solder on the iron tip will help heat contact, but avoid putting a big blob of solder on the iron - if you apply this to cold wires, it won't flow to form a good joint.

If you want to do really small stuff (like this circuit I built - for scale, those connectors are standard Molex connectors as used by CPU fans, so these solder joints are small - but not tiny, like on graphics cards/mobos) then you need a very fine tip. I used a 0.2 mm point tip for my iron. The problem with these very fine tips, is that they are pure copper (normal tips are steel plated), and these dissolve/corrode in the presence of solder so only last a few thousand joints.

As for quickly tinning wires - you can get solder dipping tubs. These are little electrically heated bowls, that you fill with solder and which keep it molten. Just dip your wire in and pull it out. Quick & easy. But expensive unless you're doing 1000s of wires, and dangerous if you tip it over.