Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Take a look at their frontpage before news bumps it down: linky

It would be nice if we could get some similar exposure from time to time

DJSnairdA

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
There will most likely be an effort soon to solve the ECC2-109 challenge, but Chris Monico will not coordinate it. He does not have the time. He did write the source code and has passed it on to a well-known group who will most likely undertake that challenge

A new one on the way by the looks of things..

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Surprise, surprise
rolleye.gif
:disgust:

I may get in contact with some people here at AT and also the Mods, and see if they can edit the DC forum description, and if they could maybe spare us some space on the front page

<--- Not holding any hopes tho :(

Confused

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Confused
Surprise, surprise
rolleye.gif
:disgust:

I may get in contact with some people here at AT and also the Mods, and see if they can edit the DC forum description, and if they could maybe spare us some space on the front page

<--- Not holding any hopes tho :(

Confused
All you can do is ask and the worst thing they can say is "no". Good luck!

Thanks for the pointer, Crazee!

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
It took some cajoling but Caesar happily agreed to keep the p1mpage going on the front page of Ars provided that folks were willing to do the writeups. I think some of this came out of the fact that Kyle over at HardOCP was and continues to be majorily involved in DC there and constantly p1mps for H's teams. The same needs to happen here with Anand if at all possible.

I know this has been discussed to death in the past but I it might be trickier to do here because Anandtech's front page is so loaded down with formatting that features tech stuff (which is its real focus) as compared to the other hardware sites except maybe Tom's. The current page format sortof precludes the use of a running news section like what Ars or H has (and would probably require some sort of redesign to accomodate it)...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DJSnairdA
There will most likely be an effort soon to solve the ECC2-109 challenge, but Chris Monico will not coordinate it. He does not have the time. He did write the source code and has passed it on to a well-known group who will most likely undertake that challenge

A new one on the way by the looks of things..
The next challenge is called ECCp-131. The one after that is ECCp-163. Looks like a typo.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Poof
I know this has been discussed to death in the past but I it might be trickier to do here because Anandtech's front page is so loaded down with formatting that features tech stuff (which is its real focus) as compared to the other hardware sites except maybe Tom's. The current page format sortof precludes the use of a running news section like what Ars or H has (and would probably require some sort of redesign to accomodate it)...
I think we all know a front page redesign to allow DC news isn't going to happen and I wouldn't expect it. But anything is better than nothing. It doesn't need to take up a lot of space. I think a simple "TeAm Anandtech" link to either the DC forum or a multi-project offsite info site for the TeAm would be a nice start.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
I think down the left side where it says site news would be a good place to put a clickable headline :)

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
There used to be a cycling TA "ad" on the front page that linked to an older version of the Team descriptions, but that has apparently disappeared. :( Come to think of it... I seem to remember a post some time ago mentioning when it did go away but apparently no one was able to get it put back. :(

MereMortal

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by: jliechty
The next challenge is called ECCp-131. The one after that is ECCp-163. Looks like a typo.

The next ECCp challenge is 131, but the next ECC challenge project to be run won't be ECCp but one of the ECC2 challenges, namely ECC2-109. You can visit Certicom for an explanation of the difference.

It looks like the project will be hosted by eCompute.org, Jay Berg's business (the guy who optimized the P4 client). But maybe they should see if Certicom is likely to be around in a year or two, first. They may even start beta testing by the end of the month.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MereMortal
Originally posted by: jliechty

The next ECCp challenge is 131, but the next ECC challenge project to be run won't be ECCp but one of the ECC2 challenges, namely ECC2-109. You can visit Certicom for an explanation of the difference.

It looks like the project will be hosted by eCompute.org, Jay Berg's business (the guy who optimized the P4 client). But maybe they should see if Certicom is likely to be around in a year or two, first. They may even start beta testing by the end of the month.
Oh, sorry dude; I must not have been awake this morning. :Q

I'll have to read up on those ECC2 challenges to see what's different about them.

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazee
I think down the left side where it says site news would be a good place to put a clickable headline :)

I just visited the main page and saw that there is in fact a link on the right hand side that says TEAM ANANDTECH. :)

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Yeah MoFunk, but ARS puts news items about their teams on the frontpage like their finishing first in ECCp not just a link.

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazee
Yeah MoFunk, but ARS puts news items about their teams on the frontpage like their finishing first in ECCp not just a link.

I agree with you! I think we should have much more exposure than a small link, I was just surprised that there was one up there. I never knew that. Hell for as much as we advertise and try to bring others aboard we should have a bag ol banner up top! We are close to being the #5 Seti team in the WORLD and the otehr projects are doing well also, that alone is advertisment!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Confused
and see if they can edit the DC forum description

Freaky! ,I had the exact same idea a few days ago but I didn't get around to posting about it!(I think),I was thinking of along the lines of adding 'Team Anandtech' to the DC title ,but at the same time we need a brief message to say that non TA members are welcomed there too.
I think those alterations could bring in more people:)

What say we make a big push for just that atm? ,it would benefit all TA teams :)
How about creating a new thread for it?

Poof
There used to be a cycling TA "ad" on the front page that linked to an older version of the Team descriptions, but that has apparently disappeared. Come to think of it... I seem to remember a post some time ago mentioning when it did go away but apparently no one was able to get it put back.

You're out of touch;) ,the link did get removed ,but we did eventually manage to get it back after some cojouling,its a permanent link too:).
Look on the right hand side about 1/2 way down.

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
yep, I agree, AnandTech should promote their TeAm more. I'm sure there are many AnandTech readers which have some serious CPU power under their control simply not aware of a thing called distributed computing (or don't know enough about it). I'd like an article about DC, and if something happened let the people know under news, and asking them to pay TA a visit :D Make them curious, send them here. Something HardOCP does sometimes.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Confused
and see if they can edit the DC forum description

Freaky! ,I had the exact same idea a few days ago but I didn't get around to posting about it!(I think),I was thinking of along the lines of adding 'Team Anandtech' to the DC title ,but at the same time we need a brief message to say that non TA members are welcomed there too.
I think those alterations could bring in more people:)

What say we make a big push for just that atm? ,it would benefit all TA teams :)
How about creating a new thread for it?

I PMed the Mods, suggesting it gets changed. They said that they have made a note of my suggestion, and will look into reviewing/updating it.

I actually had this idea back when RC5 finished, then once ECCp finished, the memory came back :);)

I am going to suggets to the Mods that we have a thread where people can submit their own suggestions of what to go in the DC forum description, then the Mods can use/change/adapt our suggestions.

I am also going to *try* to contact head honcho's at AT themselves, and offer my services to writing articles/reviews/etc for the DC Teams, suggest a monthly/bi-monthly update on the status of the teams, milestone makers etc, all written by a TeAm member (i will do it if its accepted) which could go on the front page?

Just thoughts, but will have a think/play later with ideas :)

Confused

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Assimilator1

Poof
There used to be a cycling TA "ad" on the front page that linked to an older version of the Team descriptions, but that has apparently disappeared. Come to think of it... I seem to remember a post some time ago mentioning when it did go away but apparently no one was able to get it put back.

You're out of touch;) ,the link did get removed ,but we did eventually manage to get it back after some cojouling,its a permanent link too:).
Look on the right hand side about 1/2 way down.

Smarty pants! :p

What I meant was I'd like to see them put back the original (hard fought for) box with rotating TA banner ad - not just a link that is lost among all the other stuff on that very busy front page. ;) I know that the owners of corporate sites like this that receive money for paid advertising, are very aware that space and ad placement is critical. I remember way back when DanC had talked about actual paid advertising for TA Cube (which they did IIRC), and putting their banner ad all over the place. It is very very clear that Anandtech is very much a hardware review site like Tom's (which is reflected in both sites' front pages) as opposed to being a news site with some reviews and articles.

Maybe a big ad could be permanently placed on the main Forum page at the top so those who normally go to the front page and then hit the "Community" link to check out the choice of forums (ie., those who haven't bookmarked any particular favorites) can at least see an ad for TA and hopefully be curious enough to explore it and come in here to this forum...

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Poof
What I meant was I'd like to see them put back the original (hard fought for) box with rotating TA banner ad - not just a link that is lost among all the other stuff on that very busy front page. ;) I know that the owners of corporate sites like this that receive money for paid advertising, are very aware that space and ad placement is critical. I remember way back when DanC had talked about actual paid advertising for TA Cube (which they did IIRC), and putting their banner ad all over the place. It is very very clear that Anandtech is very much a hardware review site like Tom's (which is reflected in both sites' front pages) as opposed to being a news site with some reviews and articles.

Maybe a big ad could be permanently placed on the main Forum page at the top so those who normally go to the front page and then hit the "Community" link to check out the choice of forums (ie., those who haven't bookmarked any particular favorites) can at least see an ad for TA and hopefully be curious enough to explore it and come in here to this forum...

All good ideas :)

I shall be contacting the Mods again soon...maybe if i bug them enough about things they might "pass it off" to someone higher up ;) :)

Confused

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Smarty pants! :p

What I meant was I'd like to see them put back the original (hard fought for) box with rotating TA banner ad

lol ,ok I remember the 1 you mean now:eek:;) ,it phased between ,S@H,GF & RC5 icon,seeing as 2 of 'em are have ended now it would have to be updated.
But I think the chances of getting something like that back up without paying for it are slim.
Good idea about putting a banner at the top of the forums index though:)

Another thing that needs to be done is to get all the TA teams together to update www.teamanandtech.com ,update the RC5 & ECCp bits ,& add the other projects like DF,D2OL,UD & maybe TSC to name but a few.
The SETI section needs updating too ,it has a link to Nexus9's long dead SETI stats! ,& the CPU WU time needs new CPU's adding to it

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Speaking of someone higher up. Does anyone know if Anand moved onto a different DC project? I know we had to pull some hair to get our exposure on the front page before. But I offer my good luck to the one that will try to get our exposure. :D

Wolfie

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
guys I hate to be the one of opposition, but it seems that anand's interest in the TeAm over the years has deminished for whatever reason, I have experianced this aswell with the store, I had good communication lines with Anand for a good wile, these communications have since ceased and I am trying everything that I know how to do to reopen these doors. It was nothing that I have done to my knowlage, but a lack of time, or perhaps interest on Anand's part to quickly deal with the store so that it may become a profitable self sustaining entity that sends him a check every month and that is the extent of his involvement, besides some product suggestions and decision making, I am willing to give him as much, or as little contol over the store as he desires. As I have stated in the past, the ball is in his court in this regard.

I have not talked to him about the Team recently, the last communicay I had with his on that subject was sending a letter to him for more coverage from the Seti folks, which to this day I have not heard a reply on.

Anand is a very busy individual with, school, work, and friends, and other happenings which does not give him alot of time to deal with what can be considered small issues.

He has shown his willingness to support the team, and some of you decide to ignore these, such as the sticked threads that existed for recruting for 2x45 days that were locked at the top of every forum, you do have front page exposure in a link on every page loaded on anandtech.com, and in the featured article rotation. he has given alot to this team, and I want each and every one of you to relize that. at this time in my opinion he does not have the time to work on or with the team.

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Well now narzy - you have to remember that there are quite a few new "regulars" over here in the past year, many of whom missed and/or were unaware of the many discussions on previous attempts to get more TeAm exposure. :)

I will say this, being subscribed both here and at Ars, that this issue is definitely not unique to Anandtech... There are continual discussions at most of the major tech sites bemoaning what is felt as a lack of direct participation by the site's owner in the DC teams that crunch under the site's name. Some site owners like Kyle are more into it than others and it is true that these owner/operators have alot of work to do to manage both the content end and the business/financial end of their site... let alone try to find time for real life.

However, I think it is actually a good thing for these owner/operators to pop in every now and then to give a morale boost and encouragement to the teams. The fact that Caesar actually popped in on one of the threads that announced the completion of ECCp, really provided a serious morale boost - particularly since he mentioned that he had been running the client as a member of TVM and he suggested the possibility of joining TER to run F@H (which shocked the $#% out of me! :Q :p).

DC has the ability to attract new members (many who would consider subscribing to this site), and that would in turn attract more "eyes" and "pocketbooks" willing to spend money with the financial sponsors of Anandtech. In essence, DC can be just as much a tool to attract readership (and potential buyers) as do the hardware reviews here...

I haven't been to the front page in awhile so I can't say how often the TA stuff gets rotated into the "Featured Article" icon... However I would think that whatever article is being linked to, it may need more constant/consistent updating - particularly if it is a summary page. I know that ViRGE has been doing an excellent job in keeping the teamanandtech.com site updated, but I am sure that he would appreciate some more help with keeping the news there fresh and perhaps reporting on the results of any intra-team races, TeAm rank movements, and what not.

I am aware that Anand is probably the "baby" of the bunch of site owners/operators with probably less time than the others still being in school (Caesar and Hannibal, et al were in the same boat getting their Masters over the past couple years), but that youth does give him the advantage of having a bit more energy than the other owner/operators... ;)

These are just some thoughts... :)

[EDIT - Oh and narzy - haven't seen ya in a bit... how's things going for you?]