Arrrgh!! Corsair TwinX or Kingston HyperX for the P4c???

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Hi guys, names Icewind. Long time viewer of Anandtech, first time forum joiner, long time Mad Onion board user. Need some more viewpoints on this problem im having, and im hoping you can help me finalize this deciesion

This is the most fustrating decision I've had to make in awhile. After finally deciding to upgrade to Intel this summer, I decided on my CPU, 2.8C, mobo, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, but by far the most annoying and fustrating decesion is what freaking memory to pair it with!!

I would really like to do 1 gig, just so I have that breathing room for whatever comes along. I"ve been reseaching site after site of what will work best for my needs on this computer. I do want to take the 2.8 to at least 3.0, maybe even 3.2 if I can swing it, but heres my problem, just what RAM will work best for what I want to do?? as far as OC wise and compatibility. I was pretty much set on Corsair until I came across this on the Corsair website

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/forumdisplay.php?s=60420b13896ff35f50f11318467f09e3&forumid=130

Now Im even scared to pair it with Cosair, let alone OC after seeing this thread. Then I started to hear about the Kingston stuff from you guys and other boards. Should I get the 3500 or should I chance that I will do a good overclock on the 3000 like Macci did? He was able to 250fsb on that sucker? Any incite into what I should do would really help me alot. I've got some time now, as newegg.com just ran out of the Kingston 3500 stuff. I saw that Kingston does make 3700 and even 4000 but where to buy that is beyond me, not to mention the prices goes up the ying yang. Can I get 3500 and go higher then the specs recommend or is it better to cough up more money to ensure you get a better more stable OC? Arrrrghhh so confused!!!

wicktron

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2002
Macci's HyperX 3000 are overvolted past 3v, I don't think you can get there unless you want to mod your board to handle that kind of VDIMM. That being said, Kingston HyperX are some good modules. You don't really need TwinX sticks for your board, you can get 2 sticks of the PC3500. I hear those work really well. Other brands work great as well. OCZ's PC3700 Gold hit DDR500 with ease, and Crucial has been known to be great OC'ers at a very low price. Look into TwinMos as well, they've made great sticks. Really though, you won't be disappointed in almost any choice you make, just make one that works in accordcance to your budget.

Apr 17, 2003
your address take me to the general corsair support forum, not a particular thread. anyway, I have used corsair and hyperX. my conclusion: they are equally good. that being said, i would get pc3200 of whatever is cheaper

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: shady06
your address take me to the general corsair support forum, not a particular thread. anyway, I have used corsair and hyperX. my conclusion: they are equally good. that being said, i would get pc3200 of whatever is cheaper

I am with him. I am also curious which thread that was. I would like to read it as well. Thanks

Personally I went Corsair XMS3200C2 (x 2) 512MB on my Abit IC-7(G) P4 OC'ed from 2.66(C) to 3.4 Ghz. I have heard good things about the KingMax and Kingston. Good luck

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Ok, DOn't you wanna do 3500 speed so its more guarenteed to OC better then 3200? If thats the case, I was told that Corsairs 3500 has problems with the P4C800 boards, so they suggested getting 3700. GOd im so confused I just wanna throw up!!!

Heres the link again. Just look at all the problems with corsairs memory on this board

Corsair Link

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Does anyone know what chips are used on the PC3500 Corsair and Kingston HyperX for the 512MB modules?

VitoVonAntwon

May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Mickey21
Originally posted by: shady06

I am with him. I am also curious which thread that was. I would like to read it as well. Thanks

Personally I went Corsair XMS3200C2 (x 2) 512MB on my Abit IC-7(G) P4 OC'ed from 2.66(C) to 3.4 Ghz. I have heard good things about the KingMax and Kingston. Good luck

WIth that ram you bought, do you think buying a p42.8c would overclock higher, or should I try faster 3500 ram?
THanks.

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
I made my decision, I just didn't feel good about Corsair this time, so I got HyperX 3500 from google gear with free 2 day UPS. Next week I'll start building. Now I just gotta wait till the GeforceFX 5900 comes out....

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Welcome to the forums Icewind...

I would go with some Hyper X 3200...

Mine does 220 FSB 2/3/3/7

:)

If you want to make sure of a better overclock you could go with some 3500 considering you relax the timings and get speeds of about 230+

Good Luck.