Arrrgh...Can't find a particular cable :(

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Hello all,

I've been messing around trying to get web audio sent over to my home theater system. I like to listen to 80's music when I'm in the kitchen cooking and what-not lol. Anyhow, I usually listen to hardrockin80s.com, but it can be hard to hear as my computer is on the other side of the house.

Sooooooooooooooo...I thought 'hey, why dont I just connect a cable from my computer to the home theater system and play music that way?'

I have an Auzentech Prelude that has an optical out (RCA looking jack):

A452-1008-call01a-spa4b428f29f2f4b854e825499b9b8a0e5.jpg

I want to get a cable that connects the 'SPDIF Out' to a 3-way optical switch I got:

29461.jpg

Then from the 3-way switch to the optical input on the home theater/AV/whatever its called

essentially, it's: RCA-looking optical ---->square toslink on 3-way switch--->square toslink on HTS

But, of course, the connectors are not the same. I need a cable that will go from the RCA looking optical connector to the regular 'square' optical/toslink connector. I have been unsuccessful in finding one. All that I can locate is a small box-type 'converter' like this:

41HdkxskP5L.jpg

Am I out of luck, or does such a cable exist in the wild?

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Are you sure the SPDIF outputs from your sound card are optical (i.e. can you see a red light inside)? They look like coaxial spdif ("RCA type") plugs to me, in which case you will need an active (powered) converter like you mentioned to turn coaxial spdif -> optical spdif with the normal square toslink plugs.

If those spdif plugs happen to be both optical and coaxial (do these even exist?), then I can only assume you'll need a "mini toslink" male end to poke inside the "RCA type" plug. Mini toslink is a plastic optical plug about the same dimensions of a normal "headphone plug" (AKA 3.5mm TRS). The other end of the cable could then be a regular "square" toslink.

If your sound card doesn't have optical outputs you could also get something like this usb sound card (audio interface) to provide you with an optical output.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Auzen Preludes use mini-TOSLINK optical, what I use on mine to the AVR at any rate.

If I remember right, the spdifs do both coaxial and optical and it uses a mini-toslink connectors for optical.
It originally came with 2 adapters to allow usage with std. toslink connectors.
What you should need is a min-toslink to toslink cable from the card to switch and then a std. toslink to toslink from the switch to the receiver.
The cable looks like this - https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

What he said, I'd bet would do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrblotto

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Sorry been so long getting back. I did take a couple pics, but it looks like we all know it's optical (has the red glow going on) on the back of the card. Yeah, I remember seeing those adapters that came with it in the box. Who knows if I even have them anymore lol.

I'll grab one of those cables and see what happens. Thanx for the assistance :)

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
omg I can't believe it. I went to Wally-World 'cause I was in the area and they had the cable mentioned above....but for like 25$.......yeah...no.

So I get home and think to myself 'Gee, Blotto......I wonder if I still have those adapter things from the Prelude accessories'. Well, lo and behold...the 3rd place I look (a red bowl thing for misc pieces and whatnot on the computer desk)...I find BOTH adapters! Woohoo!

Just thought I'd share b/c good news can be a rare thing these days ;)

Reactions: MongGrel

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
If those spdif plugs happen to be both optical and coaxial (do these even exist?), then I can only assume you'll need a "mini toslink" male end to poke inside the "RCA type" plug.

They do exist :)

Glad you found them, it was early in the morning for me. I had to order a set when I recycled my Prelude.

Just for anyone looking in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016W67I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But just buying a cable is almost as cheap online as those if you've lost the adapters.

Reactions: mrblotto

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
They do exist :)

Glad you found them, it was early in the morning for me. I had to order a set when I recycled my Prelude.

Just for anyone looking in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016W67I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But just buying a cable is almost as cheap online as those if you've lost the adapters.

Dahak pointed these out in another thread.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2
Even with shipping costs, they're worth considering, especially if you are already placing an order anyway.