Arrghh...idiot anti-war protestors..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Morph
Originally posted by: steell
Personally, I don't have enough information to form a rational opinion on whether or not we should declare war on Iraq. But, it is a moot point now, since we did declare war on Iraq, and therefor the only rational behavior is to support it 100% (IMHO anyway).

Ah, so even if you believe in your heart that something is irrational, immoral, just plain wrong, whatever... you should support it because the President signed off on it?? It's your kind of thinking that allowed the Nazis in WWII to get away with what they did. Even the people that knew about the horrible things their government was doing went along with it because they were ultra-patriotic and wanted to support their Fuhrer.

Damn liberal, why you have to make such a good point. We should all just agree that the President is right because he's Republican, period.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Bleep
Damn that First Amendment

Yes sir, it is a terrible thing.
What I like is all these 18 to 24 year old right wing dittoheads that just talk and talk and talk. They should be rushing down to the nearby army office and joining up and run their mouth at the Iraqui's

Bleep

I think you mean left wing, bud. Right wingers are the guys who drive around in pickup trucks with a shotgun behind the seat and a white hood in the glove box. They love good ole boy George W Bush and they think it's great that we're over in Iraq killin lots of towel-heads and camel-jockeys.

Ahhh, so that's why Bush didn't catagorize those boys with terrorists.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Ah, so even if you believe in your heart that something is irrational, immoral, just plain wrong, whatever... you should support it because the President signed off on it?? It's your kind of thinking that allowed the Nazis in WWII to get away with what they did. Even the people that knew about the horrible things their government was doing went along with it because they were ultra-patriotic and wanted to support their Fuhrer.[/quote]

It is a tad bit deeper than that. Germany was in economic turmoil. The Government gave Hitler dictatorial power in '33. He found a weak enemy within (the Jew). He (the government) stirred the pride pot well. The Hapsburg thing... Holy roman empire and all. It was a manifest destiny that the supporters bought into. Like our American Indian attitude... without having had the land before.
I think the leaders AND the supporters wanted what they felt ought to be theirs... everyone elses stuff.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So all of those here that think that liberals are not fit to be anything I must remind you that when you say bad things about liberals you are also speaking to a lot of our troops. Do you honestly think that only Consertives are willing to go to war for there country?

Relating to some of the posters here, it shows little maturity to use foul language and swearing in your posts, I feel sorry for you that you do not have the brain power to convey your point any other way than with profanity. But as it is Pinheads will try and prevail with these tactics.

Bleep

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
We already covered this ad nauseam in this 450 post topic. Unfortunately, some of you dimwits couldn't be bothered to read it, or even the initial post in this topic!

It ain't about the freedom to protest. It's about closing down business and traffic, and generally being a GD criminal. Serves 'em right if the cops throw their sorry asses in jail for a few days while they spend valuable time processing these fvcktards. As if they don't have enough other sh|t to worry about!:disgust:

What's that cop checking for?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Bleep
Damn that First Amendment

Yes sir, it is a terrible thing.
What I like is all these 18 to 24 year old right wing dittoheads that just talk and talk and talk. They should be rushing down to the nearby army office and joining up and run their mouth at the Iraqui's

Bleep

I think you mean left wing, bud. Right wingers are the guys who drive around in pickup trucks with a shotgun behind the seat and a white hood in the glove box. They love good ole boy George W Bush and they think it's great that we're over in Iraq killin lots of towel-heads and camel-jockeys.
Hmmm, I don't have a pickup OR a shotgun.
Generalizations like that make you sound like an idiot.
It's clear from your sig that you would be against anything Bush supported regardless of what it was. You also seem to lack any kind of understanding of why our election system is the way it is. You do know we don't just have a popular vote system right? I won't go into too much detail, but the founding fathers of this country were very worried about the "tyrrany of the majority". Look it up if you are confused. Basically, the reason we have an electoral college system is to protect the rights of the individual states. You may want to read some of the writings of the founding fathers if you are interested.
Bottom line:
Bush: 271
Gore: 266

You should get out a little more. The vast majority of Iraqi's hate Saddam and want us to get rid of him. Saddam's terrorist forces are killing their own people to prevent them from leaving their cities. They are threatening men with the execution of their families if they don't fight for Saddam. American and British soldiers have been killed because they refused to return fire upon Iraqi soldiers who were hiding behind women and children.

It is Saddam who has been doing all the killing. Killing and torturing his own people if they dare show any disloyalty to him. The reason we have not been welcomed with open arms is that they rembember 1991. In the first Gulf War, we encouraged the Iraqi citizens to rebel against Saddam. In most cities in Iraq, the people did rebel and overthrew the local Saddam loyalists. Then when we decided not to go to Bahgdad and just left, Saddam's military executed thousands of their own people who had rebelled.

It is beyond obvious that most Iraqi's want this war, but are too afraid to say so publicly because they know if we don't follow through, they would be killed by Saddam.

It saddens me how many people like you actually believe all this left-wing propaganda that says we all want to just kill Arabs and take the oil. It is absolutely ridiculous. Luckily 70% of Americans are smart enough and open-minded enough to understand what this is about. But the fact that the other 30% of you are able to freely express your opinions no matter how ridiculous they are is what makes this a great country.

The protesters have the right to free speech. Even if it all consists of recycled slogans from 1991 and 1971 that have no relevance. They do not have the right to break the law by blocking traffic and interfering with everyone else's freedoms.
I support their right to gather and express their views 100%. But the police should immediately arrest any of them who are breaking the law.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: steell
Personally, I don't have enough information to form a rational opinion on whether or not we should declare war on Iraq. But, it is a moot point now, since we did declare war on Iraq, and therefor the only rational behavior is to support it 100% (IMHO anyway).

Ah, so even if you believe in your heart that something is irrational, immoral, just plain wrong, whatever... you should support it because the President signed off on it?? It's your kind of thinking that allowed the Nazis in WWII to get away with what they did. Even the people that knew about the horrible things their government was doing went along with it because they were ultra-patriotic and wanted to support their Fuhrer.
Although we are clearly not on the same page, I completely agree with you on this issue. People should never blindly follow their leaders if they think they are wrong.
It's funny though that you bring up the Nazis. In addition to feelings of duty, many Germans were too scared of the SS to say anything in opposition to their government. They knew they would be killed or imprisoned if they were seen as disloyal. Hmmm, just like Iraq. They won't rebel against Saddam because they would be killed.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Another one crops up.

"A Pakistani student wears a headband with the words 'kill jews,' during an anti-war rally at a university in Islamabad, March 26, 2003. The students of Quaid-i-Azam University gathered on Wednesday to protest against the U.S.-led war in Iraq"

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider

And I suppose you felt the same way about the Kent State protestors that were gunned down and killed by the Nat'l Guard while protesting the Vietnam War? Served them right, too?
rolleye.gif

Apples and Oranges!!!

Are things really so bad that as soon as a war starts, people automagically think it'll be another vietnem???

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: wizardLRU
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider

And I suppose you felt the same way about the Kent State protestors that were gunned down and killed by the Nat'l Guard while protesting the Vietnam War? Served them right, too?
rolleye.gif

Apples and Oranges!!!

Are things really so bad that as soon as a war starts, people automagically think it'll be another vietnem???
Yes, really bad.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
WTF...do these protestors actually think they're going to get people to join their cause by pissing everyone off when they try to shut cities down?

What would you do if you were morally and ethically opposed to this war? Would you just complain about it on this forum or would you go out and try to do legally something?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
WTF...do these protestors actually think they're going to get people to join their cause by pissing everyone off when they try to shut cities down?

What would you do if you were morally and ethically opposed to this war? Would you just complain about it on this forum or would you go out and try to do legally something?
These losers are pissing everyone off when they try to shut cities down, NOT legally doing something! They should be dragged by their feet, face down, and thrown in the back of a police van, stacked 6 deep with no ventilation for a few hours. Then thrown in a cell for a few days while the cops go through the arduous task of processing hundreds of them. When they finally see a judge, he ought to throw the book at them, charging as high a fine as possible, as many hours of community service as possible, and as many days in jail as the law will allow.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ornery

These losers are pissing everyone off when they try to shut cities down, NOT legally doing something! They should be dragged by their feet, face down, and thrown in the back of a police van, stacked 6 deep with no ventilation for a few hours. Then thrown in a cell for a few days while the cops go through the arduous task of processing hundreds of them. When they finally see a judge, he ought to throw the book at them, charging as high a fine as possible, as many hours of community service as possible, and as many days in jail as the law will allow.
The war is Illegal. What should we do about it's perps? :p

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Well you could organize an email effort to your congressman and senators. You could write to your newspaper. The most effective method is to protest in public .... say march to the white house or capital hill...
It is your duty to protest or be apathy controlled. I'd want to know the mood of the nation if I were in congress... I might not agree as in this case but I'd want to know. Blocking the roads, however, is obsurd! It seeks to force a will on a fellow citizen who may or may not agree by unlawfull means... block your toilet but not my passage... I don't take kindly to someone who does that regardless of the underlying reasons.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

I will change my question to:
What would you do if you were morally and ethically aopposed to this war? Would you just complain about it on this forum or would you go out and try to do anything possible that is nonviolent?

Martin Luther King was arrested for civil disobedience.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

What would you do if you were morally and ethically aopposed to this war? Would you just complain about it on this forum or would you go out and try to do anything possible that is nonviolent?

Let's not forget Ghandi sitting on the railroad tracks in India . . . I think he was the "father of modern civil disobedence". ;)

CaptainBill

Aug 16, 2001
I own a pickup and several shotguns! God knows I love it, but does that make me a bad person, no. As a matter of fact, it is too bad that both sides here are resorting to name calling and false "facts." Regardless of your opinion, the second you start your name calling you tend to loose respect and/or credibility.

For the record, I am republican (a right-wing "cuntry" boy who likes all that killin' and such
rolleye.gif
) and I support the war effort and Bush. Protesting before the war is one thing, however, we are in it now, and protesting won't do a thing but take up valuable police force time, block traffic, and piss other people off. If you people claim the protestors really do support our troops and not the administration, then show support for your troops. Remember, if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't even be able to speak your mind, let alone block traffic, and start "peaceful" protests that end up in violence.

Just a thought and no name calling:D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

For the record, I am republican (a right-wing "cuntry" boy who likes all that killin' and such
rolleye.gif
) and I support the war effort and Bush. Protesting before the war is one thing, however, we are in it now, and protesting won't do a thing but take up valuable police force time, block traffic, and piss other people off. If you people claim the protestors really do support our troops and not the administration, then show support for your troops. Remember, if it wasn't for them, you wouldn't even be able to speak your mind, let alone block traffic, and start "peaceful" protests that end up in violence.

Just a thought and no name calling:D[/quote]

There was a time when John Hancock with his larders full of tea sought to protest the Brittish tea tax that had already been repealed because he could not sell his tea at a price lower than the then current price of tea that the Brittish provided. So he staged the Boston Tea Party. History has turned that action into the acts of patriots. Protesters violating the law in force at the time by soon to be traitors... remember it was treason what was about to occur... "...We'll all hang together or we'll all hang separately.." It was an important issue to allow the First Ammendment and all that goes with it and that also means during war. The enemy will use it against us because they don't get it... WE ARE TRULY FREE....

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptainBill
I own a pickup and several shotguns! God knows I love it, but does that make me a bad person, no. As a matter of fact, it is too bad that both sides here are resorting to name calling and false "facts." Regardless of your opinion, the second you start your name calling you tend to loose respect and/or credibility.

rolleye.gif

Just a thought and no name calling:D

I thought people should stop protesting when the war started until I really thought about it.

If someone believes what we are doing is ethically wrong, he has the duty to express that as loudly and in as many ways as possible. You can't allow truth or your conscience to have a cutoff date. If it was wrong before war started, then it's wrong now. By shutting up and letting something you think is wrong continue unchallenged, you're one of those people that allows evil to prosper because good people do nothing.

And realistically, although "supporting our troops sounds good, it means nothing. There's nothing you can do in America that will change their lives. However, by being loudly opposed to the war, you put a lot of pressure on the government to act in a way that you and those like you want.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999

I sure as hell wouldn't tie myself to other people, block roads, and cause major inconveniences to thousands of people that don't deserve it.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I thought people should stop protesting when the war started until I really thought about it.

If someone believes what we are doing is ethically wrong, he has the duty to express that as loudly and in as many ways as possible. You can't allow truth or your conscience to have a cutoff date. If it was wrong before war started, then it's wrong now. By shutting up and letting something you think is wrong continue unchallenged, you're one of those people that allows evil to prosper because good people do nothing.

And realistically, although "supporting our troops sounds good, it means nothing. There's nothing you can do in America that will change their lives. However, by being loudly opposed to the war, you put a lot of pressure on the government to act in a way that you and those like you want.[/quote]

You have seen the light! The freedom we enjoy is what we have fought so many wars for... the freedom to be whatever we have the ability to be or to live as we see fit, within the law. Protest is simply the outward expression of our feelings on one issue or another. The ability to only agree is not freedom it is simply being in sync with the occurance. I demand and will fight for my and your right to express my pleasure or displeasure with whatever I or you want... Of all the freedoms we enjoy SPEACH is the greatest. Sure there are guys and gals in harms way today... I support the policy of Bush in this... but darn it I protest the manner in which it is being prosecuted.... I say bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb.... Saddam will die now or die later but he will die... I'd rather use our intel until we find him and target 100 or so bombs on that location...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I sure as hell wouldn't tie myself to other people, block roads, and cause major inconveniences to thousands of people that don't deserve it.
Good for you . . . some of these protesters think their CONSCIENCE is more important than INCONVENIENCE to others.

It is their conscience and obviously they are prepared to take the CONSEQUENCES for civil disobedience.

Do you think the Iraqis are INCONVENIENCED by the bombing?
rolleye.gif
l

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I sure as hell wouldn't tie myself to other people, block roads, and cause major inconveniences to thousands of people that don't deserve it.[/quote]Good for you . . . some of these protesters think their CONSCIENCE is more important than INCONVENIENCE to others.

It is their conscience and obviously they are prepared to take the CONSEQUENCES for civil disobedience.

rolleye.gif
l[/quote]

"Within the law" presupposes the actions of protest are legal other wise they are crimes and outside the law and NOT a right to be enjoyed..
If you chain yourself together thats nice. If you do it on the highway... you should be taken into custody and be required to retake American History and Government classes until you understand legal and illegal are terms that define the limits allowed in the persuit of your desires.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: HJD1
Good for you . . . some of these protesters think their CONSCIENCE is more important than INCONVENIENCE to others.

rolleye.gif
l[/quote]

"Within the law" presupposes the actions of protest are legal other wise they are crimes and outside the law and NOT a right to be enjoyed..
If you chain yourself together thats nice. If you do it on the highway... you should be taken into custody and be required to retake American History and Government classes until you understand legal and illegal are terms that define the limits allowed in the persuit of your desires.[/quote]I'd like to take this opportunity to REMIND you - for the last time - that Ghandi, Martin Luther King jr, and our OWN FOUNDING FATHERS employed IDENTICAL tactics to protest - illegal or not. :p

There IS a PRECIDENT for this.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

If you chain yourself together thats nice. If you do it on the highway... you should be taken into custody and be required to retake American History and Government classes until you understand legal and illegal are terms that define the limits allowed in the persuit of your desires.[/quote]I'd like to take this opportunity to REMIND you - for the last time - that Ghandi, Martin Luther King jr, and our OWN FOUNDING FATHERS employed IDENTICAL tactics to protest - illegal or not. :p

There IS a PRECIDENT for this.[/quote]

Thank you for the reminder.. all be it for the last time. Ghandi et. al. do inspire some to action with rightious indignation when they are in the situations they were in... India, ruled by the British at the time was and is not the USA. They did not have our rights. MLK was and did. His protest was against the illegal actions, for the most part, inflicted upon citizens.. Our founders were, at the time, traitors against the Crown. We must put in context the time frame and location and law in effect while each of the folks you ID'ed lived in and or under...
I accept that I can't always keep someone from trying this or that but, I hope the remedy will break them of the habit... if it is illegal.