Arrgggh...I got my first virus in a long time

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well I assume it's a virus. I am running W7 with auto updates and Security essentials. It gave a popup about an infection and it supposedly took care of it. Now when I search for something and click on a link, a lot of times it opens up some other random site. I ran the malicious Software removal tool and it found nothing, and now I am running a full scan in MSE.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
It could also be malware so i'd recommend a full scan with Malwarebytes too.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I tried Malwarebytes and it found 17 items, rootkits, trogans etc. It froze up when I tried to remove them so I restarted in safe mode and have it scanning again.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ok in safemode it found and removed them all and made me restart. When it restarted in logged me in to a temporary profile that is working great, how do I get my main profile back?

edit: It must have not fixed it, because when I do a search and click on links it still opens up random sites

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I didnt have any restore points, now I have Antispyware Win 7 all over my computer. I will just reinstall Windows and be done with it

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Before you do that, look for an uninstall program for that malware. As stupid as it sounds, I think Antispyware (edit: changed name) has an uninstall utility located in program files (I forget where exaclty). Then run Malwarebytes again.

Last edited:

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Before you do that, look for an uninstall program for that malware. As stupid as it sounds, I think SuperAntispyware has an uninstall utility located in program files (I forget where exaclty). Then run Malwarebytes again.

That's because superantispyware is a real program, not malware.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK, wrong name. I recently helped somebody remove a piece of malware with "antispyware" in the name. All the OP said was "Antispyware," which may or may not be the same malware program.

May 13, 2009
Had a computer I looked at with the same virus. Malwarebytes, avira, avast, spybot s&d could not find and get rid of it. It's a beast of a virus whatever it is.