arrgg.... thinking about getting a student loan

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
my job pays enough for me to live okay - I have a little credit card debt ~$1500, and make payments on a motorcycle. I'm currently in school, and can't get a better job mainly because my current job is fairly flexible w/ classes. I bought my first house about 6 months ago, and this is sucking up a lot of my $$

I'm about $2000 away from being able to rent out a basement apartment. I need to buy cabinets and other misc materials to make it completely seperate... I could rent it for half of my mortgage

I'm thinking about getting a student loan to be able to do this... and maybe get a macbook (currently don't have a laptop - but don't *need* one either) I was thinking about a loan in the $3000 range.

opinions? I'm not making a poll either so bleh.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Your first priority should be eliminating your high interest credit card debt. You don't have much; tightening up the purse strings for a few months ought to get you out of the hole.

pinoy

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2000
Why not use all the money on renovations first instead of buying something you don't need right now? Plus isn't the interest rate tax deductible if used on home improvements?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
That doesn't really sound like a good idea. Do you even need a laptop or do you just want one? Also, why go for the most overpriced one (or brand) available?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I just want one - mainly because the new macbooks are becoming the rage - and I have a lot of on the side computer work - 4 of my clients have macbooks.

I know I need to get rid of the cc stuff.... arg

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
You're already in debt, and you're trying to justify taking out more debt to buy something you don't really need (MacBook)

LOL, you sound like my GF's dad...

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
can you guys read?

$3000 loan.

$2000 towards getting a basement apartment ready for rent... will get at least $700 a month for that.
$1000 for a macbook.

How about I reword it to $2000 loan, that will get the basement apartment ready for rent, which will help pay off cc and get a macbook?

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
pffffft....student loans rock....get enough for cabinets and what not, macbook, and pay off CC debt...the way i see it student loans are way cheaper than CC...depends on what ur APR is i guess...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: zixxer
my job pays enough for me to live okay - I have a little credit card debt ~$1500, and make payments on a motorcycle. I'm currently in school, and can't get a better job mainly because my current job is fairly flexible w/ classes. I bought my first house about 6 months ago, and this is sucking up a lot of my $$

I'm about $2000 away from being able to rent out a basement apartment. I need to buy cabinets and other misc materials to make it completely seperate... I could rent it for half of my mortgage

I'm thinking about getting a student loan to be able to do this... and maybe get a macbook (currently don't have a laptop - but don't *need* one either) I was thinking about a loan in the $3000 range.

opinions? I'm not making a poll either so bleh.

So you owe 1500 to the credit company and you wanna take a loan to buy a 1500 dollar laptop? Someone slap this guy...

How about you get some sense and then maybe take out the same student loan to pay for your cc dept at double digit apr?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
can you guys read?

$3000 loan.

$2000 towards getting a basement apartment ready for rent... will get at least $700 a month for that.
$1000 for a macbook.

How about I reword it to $2000 loan, that will get the basement apartment ready for rent, which will help pay off cc and get a macbook?

How are you currently paying for school?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
can you guys read?

$3000 loan.

$1000 for a macbook.

State scholarship that pays for 100% of tuition if you have a 3.0 or better

if that fell through (it won't though) my work will pay tuition as well

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I did this when I was in school and regret it. Don't take out a student loan to buy/do a bunch of crap you don't actually need. Believe me it sounds a lot better right now than it will when you realize how dumb it was later.

I also had a full ride when in school which led me to use such phrases as 'Everyone else will leave school with a lot more debt than me!' to convince myself that it was okay. It's not okay.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
can you guys read?

$3000 loan.

$1000 for a macbook.

State scholarship that pays for 100% of tuition if you have a 3.0 or better

if that fell through (it won't though) my work will pay tuition as well

With my student loan, they went through the Financial Aid Office and ONLY approved me for an amount that came to Tution - Grants/Scholarships - Federal Loans - Other Loans.

So if I was in your case, my lending comapny wouldn't have approved me for any amount since all of me costs would've been met.