Army chaplain lets soldiers take a bath if......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Geez, some of you are going overboard. He only has enough water to baptize someone. It's not like he has a 50000 gallon water truck.
I really didn't think about this . . . I guess it's water the Army set aside for baptism. If 1,000 soldiers took a bath it would be unusable long before they got done . . . I imagine - despite the "lure" of getting physically clean, very few (comparitively) take him up on his offer . . . 5,000 gallons isn't really that much even if there is a filter.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I'd pull out my c*** and I would take a leak in his so called "baptized" water!

Then I'd say "WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW"?!?!

BAM! HAHAAHHA......

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Isla
Grrrr.

That is SO NOT what Jesus would do!

People who claim to be Christians but are really just bullies piss me off.
OK, I'll bite, OK - What WOULD Jesus do?

Think he'd be supporting the War effort?

I'm not sure what he would have to say about the war. But I know he wouldn't be bullying people into being 'saved'. He could persuade... he didn't have to coerce. He'd invite them into the bath with him, and make them feel loved and comfortable, no matter who they were.

Of course, that's just my perception of him. ;)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Jesus would drive up to the Capitol in his Escalade EXT (disciples in the back) roll up to a GOP fundraiser, drop 15K to sit at Rummy's table, lean over and whisper in his ear . . . "Jesus is pissed . . ."

Rummy: "I thought YOU were Jesus?!"

666: "Oh really . . ."

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I'm not sure what he would have to say about the war. But I know he wouldn't be bullying people into being 'saved'. He could persuade... he didn't have to coerce. He'd invite them into the bath with him, and make them feel loved and comfortable, no matter who they were.

. . . must be the San Francisco Jesus . . .

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The whole literal interpretation of the Baptism 'cleansing' ritual is such a crock of sh-t. Figures it would have to be an evangelistic Southern Baptist.
rolleye.gif

Like God really meant that you could wash all your sins away with WATER. It was a metaphor you idiot!

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

. . . must be the San Francisco Jesus . . .

LOL!

My understanding of the historical Jesus was that he was essentially anti-establishment. He was radical and fought against the corrupt system of the society he lived in. The establishment feared him because he was charismatic enough to become powerful enough to potentially threaten their crusty old club that pretty much kept the rich, rich, and the poor, poor. People followed him beause he was kind, not because he ruled over them. I also understood that he wanted people to learn from his teachings and follow his example, not worship him.

Interesting stuff.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: tec699
If I was a devil worshipper does that mean I could get bathed in cow's blood?
Sure . . . go for it especially in the UK . . . maybe drink it too . . . ever heard of 'mad cow disease'?

Jesus was not "anti-establishment" - he made it quite clear, "my kingdom is NO part of this world".

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
LOL!

My understanding of the historical Jesus was that he was essentially anti-establishment. He was radical and fought against the corrupt system of the society he lived in. The establishment feared him because he was charismatic enough to become powerful enough to potentially threaten their crusty old club that pretty much kept the rich, rich, and the poor, poor. People followed him beause he was kind, not because he ruled over them. I also understood that he wanted people to learn from his teachings and follow his example, not worship him.

Interesting stuff.
Damn . . . don't see many of your kind in these parts . . . a Christian who actually understands the historical Jesus. Bravo!

Jesus was not "anti-establishment" - he made it quite clear, "my kingdom is NO part of this world".
I believe she's saying Jesus abhored the institutions which propagated the status quo for the benefit of the few . . . as well as institutions which misconstrued the message of the Father. I'm not sure what Biblical excerpt you cite but I doubt Jesus ever meant to imply the Earth and all its inhabitants were not within the dominion of God.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
LOL!

Interesting stuff.
Damn . . . don't see many of your kind in these parts . . . a Christian who actually understands the historical Jesus. Bravo!

I believe she's saying Jesus abhored the institutions which propagated the status quo for the benefit of the few . . . as well as institutions which misconstrued the message of the Father. I'm not sure what Biblical excerpt you cite but I doubt Jesus ever meant to imply the Earth and all its inhabitants were not within the dominion of God.
So God is running this mess?

:p

Whose side is God on in this war?

Read John 18:36-38. Jesus makes it pretty clear . . . "IF my kingdom were part of this world, my attendents would have fought that I should not be deliveredd up to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."

The same apostle John, many years later, said in First John 5:18 "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one" . . .

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
As for the war... I think the whole thing is sad but I don't presume to know the mind of God on the matter.

And BaliBabyDoc gets my meaning... Jesus wasnt' too keen on the Pharisees... and if this particular story is true (it could be distorted) then it is simply my opinion that particular chaplain is abusing his position. (in other words, he is acting like a Pharisee even if he thinks what he is doing is right)

Main Entry: phar·i·see
Pronunciation: 'far-&-(")sE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English pharise, from Old English farise, from Late Latin pharisaeus, from Greek pharisaios, from Aramaic perIshayyA, plural of perIshA, literally, separated
Date: before 12th century
1 capitalized : a member of a Jewish sect of the intertestamental period noted for strict observance of rites and ceremonies of the written law and for insistence on the validity of their own oral traditions concerning the law
2 : a pharisaical person

gplanet

Jan 5, 2002
lol,

if i really wanted a bath i'd just say fiiiine, go ahead baptize me...i don't believe in it, so i guess the joke would be on him

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Yes but he's doing it for their own good . . . if they get killed out there they would go to Hell if not baptized in the Holy Spirit . . . Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and atheists are going to Hell anyway but why not give them one last opportunity to look into the light.
rolleye.gif

Boy, have you ever got alot to learn.
rolleye.gif

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: gplanet
lol,

if i really wanted a bath i'd just say fiiiine, go ahead baptize me...i don't believe in it, so i guess the joke would be on him

;)

the other option is take his water for any iraqi child that needs it, and make him convert to Judaism...