ARMA 3 - how do you play it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I bought ARMA 3 yesterday and I have yet to figure out how to join a server with other people on it.
Every time I do quick play, it finds empty servers and even if i try to join that server, it kicks me out because I don't have a massive list of mods it says I need to join that server.

Do I have to install certain mods?
What mods should I install?
how do I play with other people?

Gonna refund it here soon as this is total BS.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Get the refund. From what Ive read playing the game sounds almost as fun as what you've just gone through trying to join a server. :D

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
My favorite part of Arma 2/3 is the mission builder. I sort of just use it as a sandbox to come up with crazy military scenerios, such as attacking an airbase in force with air power and chasing it with a bunch of helicopters loaded with troops. While I do like Arma 3 more from a technical standpoint, I miss the real world military hardware I had access to in Arma 2. Arma 3 uses fictional stuff, but its not a big deal really.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
How do I play it? I don't :D

I got the game when it was in Alpha and never really touched it since. I loved OFP, ARMA, and ARMA2, but began losing interest when all the servers turned DayZ and Whatever Life mods. Now I just lost interest completely because the quasi futuristic feel just doesn't appeal to me.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I know that game is funny. It's really cool but not at all fun to play. Maybe it's just too much of a sim to be a fun game.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Go to the server browser in-game and search for 'Wasteland'. Most Wasteland servers don't require any mods or extra downloads. It is also more of a casual mode that will let you learn some of the mechanics without being too brutally difficult.

Also, download A3Launcher http://a3launcher.com/ - it is what most Arma players are using to manage their mods. I've never bothered with Arma's built-in launcher.

A3Launcher will automatically download the mods you need for any given server. You can filter servers by maps or mods to find something to play.

I completely understand why most people get turned off of Arma but if you're willing to put the time in, there is an extremely rewarding experience to be had.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's actually really fun if you have a group to play with. If you're just jumping in blind, you're probably going to be kidnapped by a group. There's plenty of Steam groups out there that allow new players to find each other and team up.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My favorite part of Arma 2/3 is the mission builder. I sort of just use it as a sandbox to come up with crazy military scenerios, such as attacking an airbase in force with air power and chasing it with a bunch of helicopters loaded with troops. While I do like Arma 3 more from a technical standpoint, I miss the real world military hardware I had access to in Arma 2. Arma 3 uses fictional stuff, but its not a big deal really.

Completely agree, OFP was amazing, arma and arma 2 good as well arma 3 i was like WTF.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I bought ARMA 3 yesterday and I have yet to figure out how to join a server with other people on it.
Every time I do quick play, it finds empty servers and even if i try to join that server, it kicks me out because I don't have a massive list of mods it says I need to join that server.

Probably the most basic mods you need to get are the CUP mods.

After that you should get the RHS Escalation mods, ACE, Arma: Enhanced Movement, and the Advanced Rappelling, Advanced Urban Rappelling, Advanced Sling Loading, and Advanced Towing mods.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Completely agree, OFP was amazing, arma and arma 2 good as well arma 3 i was like WTF.

Its supposed to represent a near future conflict between a decaying West and a rising China and Iran, with new emerging technologies like caseless firearms and unmanned systems and the like.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I far prefer Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA over A3.

Someone touched on it earlier, but the "futuristic" sci-fi feel of Arma 3 just doesn't do it for me. Whereas as Arma 2 and more specifically A2:OA were focused on real-world weapons, vehicles, and geopolitical conflicts, A3's focus on the future and nonexistent vehicles, weapons, and factions just takes me out of the experience.
I know there are mods for putting all the real-world, present day equipment in A3, but they're massive, often hard to find, and then you have to find co-op maps that actually make use of those items, or spend an inordinate amount of time editing it yourself.

I still play A2:OA co-op with my brother and occasionally some randoms, and it's an absolute blast. The sheer scope and scale and possibilities is not even approached by any other series on the market.

Concerned Citizen

Sep 30, 2016

I don't.Eh,