Arma 3 announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
What do you guys mean this is the "real deal"?

How does it differ from cod/bf?

It's not a kiddie-shooter on rails with Rambo syndrome.
It's a mil-sim...the closest you will come to actual real life combat on a PC.

I know, being a former veteran...this game is written for adults, not 13 years old kids ith a controller...

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
I pre-ordered this morning to get Alpha / Beta access, started the download and now just have to wait for work to end...

t's a mil-sim...the closest you will come to actual real life combat on a PC.
+1 on this, it is sometimes frustrating how realistic it is....

It is the little things that really set it apart:
- You don't just "sprint" .... you take a few steps to get up to speed
- You run for a while, you are NOT going to make accurate shots until you catch your breath
- All guns have different (noticeable) muzzle velocities / drop
- If you make your shots count, anything can be 1 shot to kill
- a ghillie suit in the long grass will actually make you nearly invisible
.... the list could go on for days.

I rank shooters this way
ARCADE --------> "Realistic"

COD --> BF3 --> America's Army --> Arma

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I pre-ordered this morning to get Alpha / Beta access, started the download and now just have to wait for work to end...

+1 on this, it is sometimes frustrating how realistic it is....

It is the little things that really set it apart:
- You don't just "sprint" .... you take a few steps to get up to speed
- You run for a while, you are NOT going to make accurate shots until you catch your breath
- All guns have different (noticeable) muzzle velocities / drop
- If you make your shots count, anything can be 1 shot to kill
- a ghillie suit in the long grass will actually make you nearly invisible
.... the list could go on for days.

I rank shooters this way
ARCADE --------> "Realistic"

COD --> BF3 --> America's Army --> Arma

I fully agree with that rating.
Tactics really, really, really matter in ARMA games.
It's the game only that sometimes triggers my cerebellum and makes me physical duck my head, due to that response been "excerzised" to a reflex...combat tends too do that too you ;)

In pretty much every way possible, and still be a military-themed FPS.

Seriously. Not even in the same ballpark.

Agreed, try and play CoD/BF3 Rambo spray 'n pray on the move in ARMA...and you will learn, by death, why that is not a usefull real world tactic ;)

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I'm pretty stoked for this game. I'm even more stoked that the standalone version of DayZ will be based on its engine!

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
I'm even more stoked that the standalone version of DayZ will be based on its engine!

I thought the DayZ standalone was all new
via Rocket -
"This is a massive departure from the previous engine. In many ways, once this phase is completed -- one could effectively say that DayZ is running on a new version of the engine. While the graphics may look the same (for now), under the hood so much is being completely rewritten."

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Thanks for that. It looks amazing!

I enjoyed ARMA 2, but the movement/controls were so clunky that I would get really annoyed with the game. It looks like that has been vastly improved.

I felt the same about ARMA 2. I'm not buying this so much for ARMA 3, but for the mod potential. It seems like the only modern game that supports real mods.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I felt the same about ARMA 2. I'm not buying this so much for ARMA 3, but for the mod potential. It seems like the only modern game that supports real mods.

As long as the mods have nothing to do with Zombies I'll be happy!

Been playing these games since Operation Flashpoint back in 99 or 2000....They've always been gold to me. HUGE sandbox...I spent many hours in the mission builder just watching the two sides fight eachother.

WWII Mod please!

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Arma 3 beta comes out next week http://www.arma3.com/buy if you buy it next week its half price compared to retail with alpha and beta access and alpha is 5th March!

Tier1ops will be setting up a server for this alpha next week and playing it in our community of hardcore Arma 2 players. We make nothing but custom missions and we use game adjusted real life military tactics (mostly american doctrine, basic squad and special forces configurations). We welcome new players and you can watch videos of what our gameplay looks like in Arma 2 at http://www.youtube.com/user/Tier1Operations (along with some joke videos, the how to helicopter is hilarious, those guys ever fly in real missions FYI!). Just go to the website and sign up if you think its for you.

I for one am really excited about getting Arma 3 next week, its looking gorgeous. Other games are unlikely to get any time from me if this game works well in Alpha (it might not, BIS aren't known for their quality unfortunately).

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

It's what I live for! Let me know how your graphics solution works on this!
:wub:

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
Almost done with and should be able to fire it up when I get home....
I'll update with what sort of FPS I am getting single / multiplayer

I'm running :
Fx-8120 (stock)
16 gb RAM
7950 GPU

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Alpha runs like a total dog for me, but my system in sig is not up and running atm. Tried to play it on an E6400 @ 3.2Ghz with a 7950 @ 1.2Ghz and it was 20fps. Swapped the 7950 for a GTX 680 and still 20fps. Tried running it on low settings, lowering resolution and everything else. Still ran terribly.

CPU usage was pegged at 100% on both cores with the game going, so I assume you need a good CPU with multiple cores and HT to run this game well. Hopefully a few review sites run some benchmarks of the alpha.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Downloading tonight. My primary gaming PC (the one in my sig) is out of commission at the moment, so I'll be running it on my older machine with a Phenom II 965 and a Radeon 5770. It's probably gonna look like ass. :p

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Alpha runs like a total dog for me, but my system in sig is not up and running atm. Tried to play it on an E6400 @ 3.2Ghz with a 7950 @ 1.2Ghz and it was 20fps. Swapped the 7950 for a GTX 680 and still 20fps. Tried running it on low settings, lowering resolution and everything else. Still ran terribly.

CPU usage was pegged at 100% on both cores with the game going, so I assume you need a good CPU to run this game well.

Please report back when sig rig gets it's hands dirty, your fps is in line with A2 with E6400, 2 cores were crap for A2 as you now know. 4 cores i7 at 4ghz is the minimum A2 so not surprised at your fps.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

CPU usage was pegged at 100% on both cores with the game going, so I assume you need a good CPU with multiple cores and HT to run this game well. Hopefully a few review sites run some benchmarks of the alpha.

People with i7's and 680s are running in the 30-40s with everything turned on. Probably need some HTing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3RHg5DA5U

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah it's too bad because it's literally unplayable for me and I was really looking forward to it :) Oh well, hopefully by the end of next week or the following I will have the parts I am waiting for.

I also didn't get any alpha invites in Steam with my purchase. Thought we were supposed to get three invites to hand out. Has this happened for anyone else ?

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Yeah it's too bad because it's literally unplayable for me and I was really looking forward to it :) Oh well, hopefully by the end of next week or the following I will have the parts I am waiting for.

I also didn't get any alpha invites in Steam with my purchase. Thought we were supposed to get three invites to hand out. Has this happened for anyone else ?

The Steam store page says 'not yet available' but they will be coming.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
What do you guys mean this is the "real deal"?

How does it differ from cod/bf?

It's a completely different adult experience where the game engine and AI controls everything, nothing is scripted (other than single player) and you're in a dynamic 'real' and beautiful world. It's consequently really demanding on hardware and software( wetware=gamer's brain) Crysis 3 feels like walk through a very small sand pit compared to Arma2 12player multiplayer. Will report back re:alpha invites Groove!

Nemesis13

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2006
I know I posted in the key thread but if any of you have a extra invite send it my way please

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

I know I posted in the key thread but if any of you have a extra invite send it my way please

Be patient. Alpha invites aren't available yet, and probably won't be for another week or so. The store page says that "Arma 3 Alpha Lite" will be running from "March 14th to June 18th", so it looks like you're going to have to wait a few days if you wanna get in for free.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
From what I know of Virtual Reality Engine it will drop visual fidelity rather than fps to maintain something 'playable'. This is from experience so I think the video's of titan and 3770 at 3.50ghz are representative BUT Titan SLI would look a lot better while increasing fps by small amount.
Please advise if I am incorrect!?

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
The only thing I pray for, is for them to fix to multiplayer lag.... if they can create something as smooth and fluid as battlefield(lag wise) then my heart would fill with joy. The only issue I had with ARMA 2 was the lag, watching players run and perform actions was just a killer for me as it looked so unrealistic. I also hope the engine performs a lot better, especially with top of the line hardware, if they can optimize it really well then I think this game will conquer its predecessors.

Multiplayer lag comes from the overload that 20 players a side on big maps creates. Every blade of grass or tree knocked over by a player or his AI (there are thousands) is transmitted over the network, the volume of data is huge(as are the maps) compared to BF3/COD type games. Each player can have 6 plus AI units each of which knock over blades of grass etc. It's a miracle there isn't more lag and with 20mb line and sig rig its smooth for hours.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010

Are you waiting for Titans (SLI)
and watercooling kit?