News ARM Neoverse V2 and E2 announcements

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Anandtech just posted this article covering the announcements of ARM's Neoverse V2 and E2 IP CPU cores on thursday.

E2 is pretty ho hum with the article basically stating that it is a enterprise/server variant of Cortex A510.

Meanwhile V2 is described as "the highest single-threaded integer performance available in the market, eclipsing next-generation designs from both AMD and Intel".

V2 is codenamed Demeter.

V2_slide_1.jpg

V2_slide_2.jpg

A new roadmap shows the previously named Poseidon core platform as (likely) V3:

NV 2022 RDMP.jpg

(For the life of me I cannot understand ARM PR's love of white text on light blue backgrounds, it plays havoc with my eyesight 😫)

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Demeter was used in place of Poseidon to emphasize how much of a change V3 will be, the article says as much too:

"Poseidon/V3 is still years off, but there’s likely some significance to Arm keeping the codename (such as new microarchitecture)"

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Meanwhile V2 is described as "the highest single-threaded integer performance available in the market, eclipsing next-generation designs from both AMD and Intel".

NVIDIA also shared that it expects the new 72-core CPU to hit around SPEC CPU2017 Integer Rate scores of around 370 per full 72-core Grace CPU using GCC. For some context, a 64-core AMD chip will have official scores in the 390-450 range (e.g. an AMD EPYC 7773X.)

What happened here, was Grace with V2 cores designed for super low clocks or NV is sandbagging? with 72 Cores V2 vs 64 Core x64 Milan, I think Grace on N5 would be enjoying quite big advantages too being on new process and no IOD.

Reactions: soresu

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012

What happened here, was Grace with V2 cores designed for super low clocks or NV is sandbagging? with 72 Cores V2 vs 64 Core x64 Milan, I think Grace on N5 would be enjoying quite big advantages too being on new process and no IOD.
Isn't Grace using N2 cores, not V2? They don't need outright performance with those cores, and likely would prefer the core with more balanced perf/mm2. Also, I am pleasantly surprised to see ARM implement CXL 2.0 way ahead of it's competition. Genoa doesn't even have CXL 2.0.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Isn't Grace using N2 cores, not V2? They don't need outright performance with those cores, and likely would prefer the core with more balanced perf/mm2. Also, I am pleasantly surprised to see ARM implement CXL 2.0 way ahead of it's competition. Genoa doesn't even have CXL 2.0.
Grace was announced only 2 weeks before N2 (albeit N2 was previewed months earlier) back in April 2021, and yet they kept quiet on the name of the CPU core until now, 18 months later, just as Neo V2 is announced.

I'd call that a pretty big confirmation.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
It is V2, but I am wondering how they even estimated the perf of next gen designs from Intel or AMD.
I'd be extremely surprised if AMD and Intel partners did not have their own leaky points even with NDAs still in place, but with fresh benchmarks coming out for both new platforms every week I'd say that they don't even need leakers at this point to plot ARM's own internal projections of performance against them.

It doesn't seem likely to be a huge coincidence that the Neo V2 announcement dropped right in the middle of this AMD/Intel benchmark deluge.

I'm interested to see what differences Neo V2 has from Cortex X3 though - they went out of their way to name E2 as A510 yet failed to be as certain for V2 which leads me to think that there are significant differences under the hood.