ARM CPUs reaching laptop performance levels?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Bambew, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Arachnotronic

Arachnotronic Diamond Member

ARM is touting a Specint2k score of 1250 for their vaunted A57. Wow. That's as fast as my Pentium M 1.6GHz which gets about 1400.

There's someone in this thread who should be worried about his job...

2. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

A 9 year old part. ;)

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

It will be 11 years old when it comes out ;)

4. Arachnotronic

Arachnotronic Diamond Member

My post is obviously dripping with sarcasm.

5. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

Under the same TDP envelope of current ARM SoCs on 28nm. Your Pentium M had a high 20s TDP for the CPU alone.

6. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

It's hard to tell these days when there are people out there who genuinely believe that's acceptable (or at least pretend to).

7. Keysplayr

Keysplayr Elite Member

What about netbooks? Basically a tablet with a keyboard attached.

8. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

24.5W TDP on 130nm.

9. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

Yep. It's dead.

No reworked Atom architecture to compete with the A15 until Q1 2014 as well.

10. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

ARM is just replacing ARM in your numbers. So not sure what your great point is. Several of your ARM supporters are dying fast. And none of those companies you list cares the slightest about ARM. Both of them would drop ARM in a heartbeat for something better.

Your numbers basicly show how fast ARM products gets obsolete due to its lackbuster performance.

Its gonna go downhill for ARM fast already with Silvermont, Airmont will just seal it for good. ARM is running out of time fast.

#35 ShintaiDK, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

That's a lot of ifs for 2 years away. Got any performance estimates for Silvermont? Hell, got any performance figures for the current Clover Trail Atoms? Intel has been pretty reluctant to release any benchmarks.

http://techreport.com/news/23849/bloomberg-apple-eyes-homebrewed-chips-for-macs

Apple seems confident as does Qualcomm. Amazon too. Don't forget Google.

12. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

If ARM seriously looked to be a threat, barring being blocked by regulatory bodies, Intel could purchase ARM with something like a year of its profits.

Gives you perspective, huh?

13. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

"Will one day" is very vague.

Apple had to switch to Intel partially due to performance in 2006. State of the art arm is somewhere like Intel was in 2000-2002 currently. In what world is a 4 year step back from what Apple needed 6 years ago suddenly even worth discussion?

Oh yeah, magical arm pixie dust. I keep forgetting. :rolleyes:

14. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

The same can be said for Apple buying Intel. Or Samsung. But, no, Intel wouldn't be able to purchase ARM and nor would any other corporation. They're small because that's their business model.

It also signifies that Apple isn't tied to any particular ISA.

I'm not delusional. I'm well aware ARM is nowhere near in the performance segment for laptops/desktops, but they're also well ahead in smartphones and tablets. It isn't the laptop/desktop sales that are booming, and ultimately it's money that talks, not the enthusiast. It's going to take several years for them to step into big boy shoes but that doesn't mean they won't be able to. Like I said, Apple and plenty of other corporations seem pretty confident that they will. Pricing still favors them and so does performance as well as perf-per-watt.

#39 pelov, Nov 5, 2012
  15. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

ARM Holdings is a publicly traded company and as such is, by definition, always vulnerable to take-over.

16. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

If you honestly think it's that simple then you're the one that's delusional.

17. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Oh, I forgot that the pixie dust bars that.

18. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

Yep. It wouldn't harm the entire ARM ecosystem. I'm pretty sure their business model wouldn't be affected either. Samsung and Apple and all of the other ARM licensees would absolutely LOVE that to happen and would throw even more money at them.

You're either trolling or you have absolutely no idea how ARM works.

19. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

While I am taking your bizarre claims to an absurd end, this will illustrate, potentially, the absurdity of your claims.

What you seem to envision, is similar to you having a say in another company purchasing your grocery store. Pixie dust doesn't change that.

Though yes, and aquisition would have to be defensive, because that's an awful lot of money for under $200M/quarter revenue.

edit: perhaps you are confused because there are different ARM implementations, that arm is some open standard. It is not, it is proprietary and licensed from ARM Holdings. The IP licensing terms are pretty permissive, and allow for customization.

#44 Ferzerp, Nov 5, 2012
  20. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Already performance numbers in another thread. Airmont=Phenom X6 performance roughly. ARM=Pentium-M? LoL....

And the Apple will use ARM in laptops rumour is seen before:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34199246&postcount=25

ARM, AMD, always some random rumour.

21. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

That's called a straw man. Sort of like the way both you and ShintaiDK imply that I said ARM performance will trump x86 in a short period of time -- something that I've always said would take years but because it helps you win an argument by creating something I've never said and attributing it to me, it gives you something to write. Unfortunately for the both of you, I'm not anywhere near as stupid as you think I am.

Throw in nearly all of Apple's revenue along with that then ask yourself again how much we're talking per quarter. How many Intels is that with just Apple and Samsung? Then consider Qualcomm, TI, Broadcom, Marvell, and on and on and on...

They wouldn't license IP from ARM if they were bought out. The mere fact that you're implying that's a possibility means you don't understand how ARM works as a business model. Though that's pretty obvious by the $200mil quarter revenue you just posted.

I was referring to the performance estimates for future Atoms and even the current Clover Trail atoms. Intel has been very un-Intel-like in that they've been extremely tight-lipped about how it performs. You're throwing around performance estimates as if you've got figures, so let's see them.

22. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

There are certain topics that people are such fanboys of that any conversation on that topic with them is worthless.

pelov, you are an arm fanboy to the point of utter irrationality.

23. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

So quickly you forget in threads you post in.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2279950&page=2

24. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

I'm not an ARM fanboy. I just want competition. Whether that's ARM, MIPS, x86 with AMD and VIA or PowerPC, I don't care. What I won't do, though, is deny reality.

[​IMG]

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:ARMH

25. Fox5

Fox5 Diamond Member

1.3Ghz Pentium M ULV had a TDP of 5.5W. 1.5Ghz LV Pentium M had a TDP of 7.5W.

Atom has just reached those TDP levels with that level of performance only recently. :(