ARM and Intel team up for 10nm

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

carop

Jul 9, 2012

The half-pitch (HP) is defined by the Rayleigh Resolution Equation. The smallest HP that can be printed in single exposure is 36 nm. However, a k1 process factor of 0.25 is considered to be a very difficult, if not impossible, process. Today's best processes have k1 = 0.28. So, the practical half pitch is about 38 - 40 nm.

Here is a slide from IMEC that shows the (practical) limits of various multiple patterning techniques:

45nm 193i LE3 (used by Samsung N10 process)

40nm 193i SADP (used by Intel and TSMC N10 processes)

28nm EUV single exposure (See Toshiba slide for explanation)

20nm 193i SAQP

IMEC_RL.jpg

image.jpg

RE_EUV.jpg

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Wasn't there some info about using self-aligned triple pattering for some steps in Intel's 14nm? Also I don't get what's the problem with sub-40nm details if the fin of the fets is already 8-10nm wide at best?

Anyway I'm still impressed by their claim of better than 0.5x scaling, it almost makes up for the longer time between nodes: we were used to 2 and now it's more than 3 years per generation...
Looking at actual Broadwell parts real scaling is around 2x when all the previous steps got 1.6-1.7x to the previous gen, if they keep up that over 10nm in 6 years it's almost the same as going for three smaller increases. It also fits nicely with the 3 years process-arch-optimization model, there goes the tick-tock from the door and it comes back by the window.

Reactions: VirtualLarry