Arlen Specter denied seniority

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Article

In an interview to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, Specter was asked if he was concerned that if Coleman ? who is Jewish ? lost, that there would no longer be a Jewish Republican in the Senate.

"There's still time for the Minnesota courts to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner," said Specter, who is Jewish. He later said he misspoke.

Reid told CNN that when he asked Specter about the remark, Specter said, "I forgot what team I was on."

Ahh, nothing like forgetting which partisan hackery you need to espouse.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: Bitek
Between that and his speech explaining his actions, he's come off looking like a opportunistic turncoat.

Which is exactly what he is. The Dems are smart to be wary of his loyalty. His only true allegiance is to himself.

hmm the media would have you think that the GOP was imploding and that is why Sphincter went to the democrats.

People think they aren't? Denial is not just a river I guess.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
In the grand scheme of things, people looking for perfect human beings are asking to be disillusioned.

Like anyone else, Arlan Specter has virtues and faults. And when, in an unique spot in human history, we have a case of one Senator switching parties, any sour grapes Arlan is a flawed human being argument carries little weight.

Arlan is no greater or lesser saint or sinner by virtue of being a republican or a democrat. But when his one lone vote changes the GOP filibuster calculus, its a significant point in history.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: sactoking
Article

In an interview to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, Specter was asked if he was concerned that if Coleman ? who is Jewish ? lost, that there would no longer be a Jewish Republican in the Senate.

"There's still time for the Minnesota courts to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner," said Specter, who is Jewish. He later said he misspoke.

Reid told CNN that when he asked Specter about the remark, Specter said, "I forgot what team I was on."

Ahh, nothing like forgetting which partisan hackery you need to espouse.

:laugh::thumbsup:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its all well and fine for Lothar to say, "Ahh, nothing like forgetting which partisan hackery you need to espouse."

But in the end its still means, for all his faults and virtues, Arlan Specter is still Arlan Specter, regardless of which party label he chooses. Partisan hack is not as shoe that will fit, cheer up GOP, ole Arlan is not going to follow the democratic party line lock step either.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
And now I proudly present to all you crying poor ole Arlan the good news you seek, it now looks like Arlan Specter will get to chair a very powerful subcommittee.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...o/us_specter_democrats

This thanks to Sen. Dick Durbin in a deal not fully worked out. Nor can I buy the link thesis that its simply motivated by the fact that a possible primary opponent may be entering the race.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Great news that Ridge has decided not to run. That makes reelection for Specter (or whoever the Dem nominee is) substantially more likely.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Its all well and fine for Lothar to say, "Ahh, nothing like forgetting which partisan hackery you need to espouse."

But in the end its still means, for all his faults and virtues, Arlan Specter is still Arlan Specter, regardless of which party label he chooses. Partisan hack is not as shoe that will fit, cheer up GOP, ole Arlan is not going to follow the democratic party line lock step either.

I said it, not Lothar. And while I may agree that Arlen Specter probably won't kowtow to Dem wishes all the time, the quote I used was a PERFECT example of partisan hackery: "Seat Norm Coleman! Wait, what? Oh yeah, I'm a Democrat now. Don't seat Norm Coleman!"

May 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Thump553

I have always liked and admired Specter (except for his Iraq War stance) but this looks like a blunder to me.

Specter stripped of seniority

You realize that this guy has never been more than a fucking windbag, right?

He's was Joe Lieberman of the the dead party. Perhaps if he starts backing up lifetime of saying the right things and doing nothing, miraculously grows a pair, he'll stand a chance of winning the democratic primary.

But he won't....

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Blunder? He did switch parties to Democrats. The fact that he'd give up his seniority to get out of the GOP goes to show what sad state that party is in.

May 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Thump553

Maybe it's too early to tell but I'm not really seeing a clear cut benefit to the Dems by officially taking Specter in, and the governor and Obama already coming out and saying they will support him in the election.

Organized labor GOTV will make that happen or not...its their call in PA.

Regardless, the dems have leverage now. You worry too much...think "gift horse". If Obama has shown anything these past 3 months, its political skill, this guy is a vote now, the 60th vote, rest assured Obama has extracted that condition.