Arkham Knight

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
they offered refunds because the developers gave up optimizing this game for PC.

I thought they also pulled it off steam store.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Arkham Knight is the last entry in the series. There won't be any sequels.

And not to be a downer, but just wait until the horrible Batmobile sequences are shoved down your throat at every turn and you're reduced to playing Battlezone Tank Wars Knight every time they try and advance the story.

Well yes. But I don't really mind those segments. It serves as a good change of pace for me. However, I'd rather fly around Gotham than drive. So it was a bit of a 50-50 for me.

they offered refunds because the developers gave up optimizing this game for PC.

I thought they also pulled it off steam store.

Yes they did pull it off the steam store. I wanted to buy it off much earlier but held back thanks to the negative reviews it garnered wrt performance. But then after a few patches and a "fixed" status, I decided to get it. Can't say I'm disappointed.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
I'm just finishing it up after installing about 2 weeks ago...I love it. I guess I'm glad I waited because I haven't had a single issue and I think the batmobile was a great addition to the gameplay/riddles

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Finished the game. This is easily one of the best games out there. So much to do and so much good content. Been awhile since I've seen such good gameplay in a game. Sad state with the horrible initial port and all but the current state is perfect. I think people who haven't tried it yet should definitely do.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I can't figure out how to use all the ridiculous weapons and gadgets. I gave up because of that. I simply can't figure out how to play the game. Also, all the funky moves and maneuvering you have to do? Forget it. I don't have time to get a bachelor's degree in effing Batman game playing. Looks good and runs great though.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I can't figure out how to use all the ridiculous weapons and gadgets. I gave up because of that. I simply can't figure out how to play the game. Also, all the funky moves and maneuvering you have to do? Forget it. I don't have time to get a bachelor's degree in effing Batman game playing. Looks good and runs great though.
The game does a good job of prompting you which keys/combos work for special types of enemies. Even later in the game. It felt good that it was challenging, even in the easier difficulty. Personally, a game should teach you certain aspects and the final parts serve as a test for everything you've learned in the game. That's missing in most of the games these days and most bosses are usually bullet sponges with a lot of HP(Shoot till you die). But that's just a personal opinion. I can understand you wanting to quit because of the combos being a little tricky to get to certain types of enemies.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Best gadgets in combat are the batclaw and remote electric charge gun....Theyr'e extremely usefull on the guys with shock batons. You can actually get the REC gun early on from GCPD headquarters...I agree the game was a little lacking in tutorials...Even after playing the first 4 games, it took me 5 or 6 sessions to get my flow in combat back.

I'm bummed people can hack the leaderboards in the AR challenges...I spent hrs on arkham cities trying to get to #1 on some of those Predator maps and achieved it on the museum map with catwomen. All the top 10 leaders on these maps are obviously hacked which made the AR missions kinda of blah.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Finished the game. This is easily one of the best games out there. So much to do and so much good content. Been awhile since I've seen such good gameplay in a game. Sad state with the horrible initial port and all but the current state is perfect. I think people who haven't tried it yet should definitely do.
Have you played the other arkham games? Just wondering, because I found AK to be the worst in the series. I played it on the ps4 where there weren't any real technical issues, it was just well below expectations. Yes, those expectations may have been high... But it's still disappointing.

The game on its own was not a bad game, but I'd give it a 7/10 while the rest of the series gets an 8 or 9.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Have you played the other arkham games? Just wondering, because I found AK to be the worst in the series. I played it on the ps4 where there weren't any real technical issues, it was just well below expectations. Yes, those expectations may have been high... But it's still disappointing.

The game on its own was not a bad game, but I'd give it a 7/10 while the rest of the series gets an 8 or 9.

Very much agree.

It's not a bad "game", at all. It's just a poor Arkahm entry, By a mile.

Not just the tedious, overdone Batmobile sequences, but the awful plot and writing are easily the weakest of the series as well. The AK is a joke, the G.I. Joe "mercenary army" with hundreds of robot tanks is beneath the writing of most saturday morning cartoon shows. A little over the top comic book-ish silliness is to be expected, but AK felt like it was written by 12 year olds, for 9 year olds. I couldn't have cared less about the story.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012

I have played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, not Origins(but I do plan on getting ahold of it now). I know it was well below expectations when you compare it to asylum and city, but I'll take it any day. It is still miles above most action adventure games out there currently and is brimming with content. Also, the side missions were all fleshed out almost as well as the main missions. I really enjoyed the game. Yes, even the batmobile sequences. To each his own I guess.

Asisvénia

Sep 15, 2016
The game's current state is good. I finished with i7 2700k @ 4.5ghz + gtx680 o.c 1240mhz had no problem.. But story-characters especially final scene wasn't as I expected.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
How much RAM?

I've heard you need at least 12 GB of RAM.
You do indeed. I think 16GB is the new standard for PC gamers, and ram is cheap now. Particularly historically speaking.

BTW, thanks for bumping this thread thejunglegod. Inspired me to fire it up and start on story mode again. Batman games are among my favorite beat 'em ups. I will occasionally still do combat challenges for any one of the Arkham series. Or enter story mode and roam around taking out gangs. That said, I have to agree this game is the worst of the series.

This game was so broken when it released, that I bought it shortly after for $15 I think, and they included the entire series with it, even Blackgate. Which was great, as I spent 7 years on console, because my kid was into them. Thus I played most the series there, and did not have them for PC. While on that point, I do miss game works effects right now. I started the game on a 970 last year, and I am playing on AMD now. It may be an unpopular opinion, but it does detract a bit from the atmosphere of the game not having all the gw features.

Last edited:
Reactions: thejunglegod

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
16GB; ouch. For a new system I would go with that much but my 2500k only has 8 and I'm reluctant to buy more ddr3 given the change in technology. Hum. Can't play every game I guess though I hear this one is pretty decent. Btw I had to use a page file to play doom; 8GB wasn't enough.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
16GB; ouch. For a new system I would go with that much but my 2500k only has 8 and I'm reluctant to buy more ddr3 given the change in technology. Hum. Can't play every game I guess though I hear this one is pretty decent. Btw I had to use a page file to play doom; 8GB wasn't enough.
I feel you, but you can find 8GB of dd3 for $20 shipped in fs/ft forum and other places on the web now. Pretty inexpensive fix for these newer memory hogging games.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I feel you, but you can find 8GB of dd3 for $20 shipped in fs/ft forum and other places on the web now. Pretty inexpensive fix for these newer memory hogging games.

So crazy to hear this kind of thing. It reminds me of the old days when the golden fix for all computer problems was to "upgrade the memory".

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Game play has reached the annoying stage. The combat flow just feels wrong compared to the last couple games. I think if they want to make another entry in this series, they better not phone it in again. And no more proprietary nonsense like gameworks.

In fact, do not even bother with a stand alone batman game. It is stale at this point, and there is nowhere left to go with it that is not the same old same old. Give me Batman + Justice league. Do not require different characters for different missions. But rather, make it possible to complete the goals through various gameplay styles. And let us switch or co-op characters to complete objectives.

Superman needs to make an appearance where he is not the only payable character for a change. Maybe it would result in the first superman gameplay that is really good. They can just limit when he is used to keep his being overpowered from ruining the game. The last one I played on 360 had potential, but because of the way they chose to use him, it quickly became redundant and the story was bad. His combos for combat were fun, and flying was excellent, build on that.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there is anything new they can get to the table with Batman. Batwing probably? But that'll not be met with too much fanfare considering the backlash the Batmobile received. and it'll be totally cool to involve a few Justice League characters. It's about time Superman has had a good game. They've all been horribad. Let's see what they come up with next.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there is anything new they can get to the table with Batman. Batwing probably? But that'll not be met with too much fanfare considering the backlash the Batmobile received. and it'll be totally cool to involve a few Justice League characters. It's about time Superman has had a good game. They've all been horribad. Let's see what they come up with next.
I do not think they would add anything worthwhile to the gameplay with the jet. He already can fly/glide around the city and shoot various weapons while doing so. After upgrades anyways. Doing it with the jet would be meh, as it is with the car. I tired of the car a good number of hours back, but they force you to use it. Heck, the vehicles in the original Crackdown on 360 were more fun to drive and use imo.

I have encountered another bug using FX+RX470 I did not experience with a i5+GTX 970. It persists despite disabling all overclocking, and even removing the undervolting on the 470. Anywhere from 2-15 minutes in, while using the car, the screen freezes but the audio still works, it takes 10-15 seconds and everything is ok after that for the rest of the session. It might have started after I enabled the GW rain effects, I will try turning it off and see if that is the solution. Or if it is one of the "deal with it" bugs that made this title infamous.

About 85 percent completion and I am going to finish the story and move on to all Harley's DLC. I sometimes would rather I was not so tenacious about sticking it out with bad games.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I usually wait for games to go on sale and get patched. I suppose a year and 1/2 and at $10 it was finally time to get the game.

The game plays great. Everything is maxed and all Gameworks effects are enabled. No stuttering at all. The game plays smooth and looks fantastic. I think people were too harsh on it.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
You have to consider the average user does not have SLI Titans though, and Pascal didn't even exist :).

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I usually wait for games to go on sale and get patched. I suppose a year and 1/2 and at $10 it was finally time to get the game.

The game plays great. Everything is maxed and all Gameworks effects are enabled. No stuttering at all. The game plays smooth and looks fantastic. I think people were too harsh on it.

But the game itself simply didn't live up to the hype though. I enjoyed my playthrough but it definitely was much more shallow than I was hoping. My gripes aren't even with the batmobile, just that all of the villains you encounter fall flat and never feel like a threat.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But the game itself simply didn't live up to the hype though. I enjoyed my playthrough but it definitely was much more shallow than I was hoping. My gripes aren't even with the batmobile, just that all of the villains you encounter fall flat and never feel like a threat.

The game does play it safe by using the same old formula of the old game. It's quite an enjoyable formula. If they continued on with that formula with yet another game, I suppose it would have worn it's welcome for me by then.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bumping this old thread -

Halloween is coming up, and if you have never played this game, or did not play on Halloween, there is an easter egg you missed. Besides, now you can crank the settings to max and enjoy it in all its glory, with a decent Nvidia card.

I read you can also just set your system clock to halloween 2015 and get the easter egg too. Don't look the easter egg up, it will ruin it for you, if you don't know about it already.

I already roasted this game 5yrs ago, so I won't rehash my criticisms. Still, it is a Batman game, so imma play it again.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
LOL... i got the game free with my 580 GTX? or was it 980 GTX? it was one of those....
The game didn't lag that badly, as i was on SLI on both cards, and it ran it ok... i had micro stutters, but at that age, i sort of accepted it on all the games i played.

Its a fun game, but EXTREMELY GRINDY AS FAQ. The Riddler Arc made me want to rage quit a few times, as finding all his riddle me this puzzles were just beyond annoying.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER