Arkham Knight

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
I'm going to give it a spin once I finish up Mad Max.

I'm not a big Batman fan, and I don't want to spend a bunch of time on this, so I'll put it on easy and just try and smash through it.

Ha maybe I'll do that too. I just finished Mad Max story, still got some loose ends to tie up and do 100%. Max made want to play the Batman games a try now.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I am playing with 24GB DDR3 and a WD Black label as the only HDD, game is silky smooth and looks great.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This is frustrating. I waited it out because the pre-order was decent with GMG and now they decide to not honor the refund.

GMG said they would refund if you weren't happy with the game after the first patch. Are they now saying they won't refund?

Also, it does look like they did another patch on 10/31 that was for actual bug fixes, but still didn't address a lot of game-breaking bugs.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I know that nobody cares about this anymore, but just in case someone does, I thought that I should say that yesterday's patch reduced the length of stutters dramatically, to the point that most won't be noticed unless you're really sensitive or looking out for them. Better frametimes too, and really good VRAM management.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
They couldn't have waited just a bit longer?

Had to try and get that Christmas money, and they're paying for it dearly.

At this point, I'll just wait and see if the game gets fixed enough to bother dropping $5. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime. A shame, too. I enjoy this series.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I got this game free with my video cards. Haven't installed it yet. Should I install it? Is it a piece of crap?

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
They couldn't have waited just a bit longer?

Had to try and get that Christmas money, and they're paying for it dearly.

At this point, I'll just wait and see if the game gets fixed enough to bother dropping $5. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime. A shame, too. I enjoy this series.

I really think that it's in great shape right now, other than a few minor bugs. Basically, they need to fix rain textures at the start of the game and a couple of smaller bugs with some skins and AR challenges. Beyond that, I'm able to max it out with GameWorks now, which is more than I personally expected even before release. Performance-wise, you basically need to run it off of an SSD, it's CPU-heavy, and you might need to have 16GB of RAM for optimal performance, but I'm hearing that that may not be necessarily true, especially on Windows 8.1. Stuttering now is comparable to City in DX11 mode, if not better.

I got this game free with my video cards. Haven't installed it yet. Should I install it? Is it a piece of crap?

See above, though keep in mind that they've announced that the game won't ever support SLI. It's not all that demanding at this point though. Just set PhysX to the second GPU and should get something like 70-90FPS a lot of the time at 1440p.

I could post a benchmark of how it runs on my system. With Vsync on and max settings, the game's framerate increased by 12FPS to me (~20-25%) and frametimes improved similarly.

Last edited:

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
I know that nobody cares about this anymore, but just in case someone does, I thought that I should say that yesterday's patch reduced the length of stutters dramatically, to the point that most won't be noticed unless you're really sensitive or looking out for them. Better frametimes too, and really good VRAM management.

Thanks for posting....I've been waiting to get this game..looks like it might be time.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for posting....I've been waiting to get this game..looks like it might be time.

Keep in mind that SLI will never work for this game and my testing is with an overclocked 970.

Also, it's still a VRAM hog, but what it does now is it agressively flushes about 300-500MB of my VRAM when it fills up. With a 3GB 780, you might still need normal textures and LOD.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

Nevermind. The game's still a stutterfest unless you reboot your computer before playing (though only really when driving).

This is with max settings for me when driving:

5c763011d4.png

Keep in mind that with max settings it has recycle VRAM for me every 30-60 seconds. The smoke really does murder frametimes though.

With smoke turned off:

35e5c21f02.png

Not a ton better. However, I need to do one more test...

EDIT: almost fresh after a reboot:

07e3fa6481.png

The problem with the car is that it moves so quickly that you're loading areas constantly, which results in microstutter. This is an engine issue and can only be "fixed" by locking the game at 30FPS. When you're walking or gliding it's much better, and the game is flawless indoors. If they hadn't gone for this huge open world and focused on indoor areas, the game would be much, much better.

Last edited:

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I try to keep my VRAM usage under 3.5gb, cause you know that 970 horse crap. Anything over 3.5gb and it's a stutter fest in any game period.

Thought I had everything maxed except shadows and texture detail to medium and the menu estimate said ~3.2gb usage. After this latest patch it said ~3.6gb with the same settings, and performance seemed worse after briefly trying it last night.

I did just move it over to my SSD and set one 970 to physx. Will see how that goes.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I try to keep my VRAM usage under 3.5gb, cause you know that 970 horse crap. Anything over 3.5gb and it's a stutter fest in any game period.

Thought I had everything maxed except shadows and texture detail to medium and the menu estimate said ~3.2gb usage. After this latest patch it said ~3.6gb with the same settings, and performance seemed worse after briefly trying it last night.

I did just move it over to my SSD and set one 970 to physx. Will see how that goes.

What it says in the menu has never been accurate. Performance shouldn't be worse though. Try resetting your configuration by deleting your config folder and verifying your cache to get it back. And yes, you need to run this game off of an SSD to make it playable.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
What it says in the menu has never been accurate. Performance shouldn't be worse though. Try resetting your configuration by deleting your config folder and verifying your cache to get it back. And yes, you need to run this game off of an SSD to make it playable.

Yea I played it some more and seems better than it was yesterday for sure.

Still though performance seemed better to me before this last patch, other than Batmobile use.

Have no data to determine why though, could just be my perception. MSI afterburner osd doesnt seem to work. What are you using to monitor vram use?

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Nm apparently I forgot what my key binds to toggle MSI osd lol. Was without my gaming pc for a couple months while relocating.

Had to turn the smoke off to get under the 3.5gb vram. Performance is pretty decent, mostly 60fps with dips down to 52-55, which is annoying because it should be a smooth 60fps if sli worked...

Anyway, love Batman and a big fan of the games. Unfortunate they dropped the ball so badly with this one, but still finding it very enjoyable presently.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Nm apparently I forgot what my key binds to toggle MSI osd lol. Was without my gaming pc for a couple months while relocating.

Had to turn the smoke off to get under the 3.5gb vram. Performance is pretty decent, mostly 60fps with dips down to 52-55, which is annoying because it should be a smooth 60fps if sli worked...

Anyway, love Batman and a big fan of the games. Unfortunate they dropped the ball so badly with this one, but still finding it very enjoyable presently.

Dips with the batmobile can't be fixed, since it's a streaming issue. Maybe it would work out in a Titan X by loading the entire map into VRAM? lol. The funy thing is that it doesn't dip as far if you set the max FPS to 90 and turn V-sync off; then the dips are to more like 61FPS. This game needs G-sync/Freesync for an optimal experience.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Dips with the batmobile can't be fixed, since it's a streaming issue. Maybe it would work out in a Titan X by loading the entire map into VRAM? lol. The funy thing is that it doesn't dip as far if you set the max FPS to 90 and turn V-sync off; then the dips are to more like 61FPS. This game needs G-sync/Freesync for an optimal experience.

Heh, yep. My 30" display f'd up over Thanksgiving weekend. So I grabbed the new Acer XB271HU with 144Hz+gsync. Game really felt great with 90fps cap and no vsync, even though I was only pulling about 60-70fps. Batmobile was infinitely smoother.

Just 100% it tonight. Really awesome game, wish they hadn't buggered things so badly.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Well, I find it hard to believe this horribly broken game that was recalled and then had full refunds issued for it is still $50. By now, with all the negative press, it should be bargain-bin priced.

I may skip it and get it on X1, considering my 960m laptop wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of running it at 1080p when machines 4 times the power can't do it at 720p.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Well, I find it hard to believe this horribly broken game that was recalled and then had full refunds issued for it is still $50. By now, with all the negative press, it should be bargain-bin priced.

I may skip it and get it on X1, considering my 960m laptop wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of running it at 1080p when machines 4 times the power can't do it at 720p.

cdkeys.com

Paid like $11 for this game a couple months ago.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Shouldn't be an issue with global or NA keys.

Can get physical copies for ~$20 off ebay, and maybe some keys from the gfx card vouchers etc. for less. Would be surprised if Steam doesn't offer it for $20 or less during Xmas sales though.

But yea performance at 1080p with a 960m will be rough. Although maybe capped at 30fps it might be fine. Which is what you'll get, or less, with a console.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I don't trust cdkeys.com. Gray market keys can cost you your Steam account.
nothing really wrong with cdkeys. I bought a few games from them over the years and never had an issue nor have I seen a single person claim to have an issue with them. they also have excellent customer service.

and you certainly don't lose your Steam account because of a gray market key.

Last edited:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Sorry for necroing this. I'm assuming this is the official Arkham Knight thread for PC.
Finally got this from steam and started playing it after having held back for so long. What a masterpiece of a game this is. And what a disappointment it is that things turned out the way it did for pc. Even now I experience microstutters and random crashes though.
But I'm okay with all that since the gameplay, story and epicness of it all just takes away all those blemishes. I'm just blown away with how much content there is in this game. More of the same please Rocksteady and next time, show some love for the pc please.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Sorry for necroing this. I'm assuming this is the official Arkham Knight thread for PC.
Finally got this from steam and started playing it after having held back for so long. What a masterpiece of a game this is. And what a disappointment it is that things turned out the way it did for pc. Even now I experience microstutters and random crashes though.
But I'm okay with all that since the gameplay, story and epicness of it all just takes away all those blemishes. I'm just blown away with how much content there is in this game. More of the same please Rocksteady and next time, show some love for the pc please.

Arkham Knight is the last entry in the series. There won't be any sequels.

And not to be a downer, but just wait until the horrible Batmobile sequences are shoved down your throat at every turn and you're reduced to playing Battlezone Tank Wars Knight every time they try and advance the story.