Arkham Knight

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PC_

Aug 30, 2015
it was always playable. it had it issues, but that didn't stop be finishing the game.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
about the same for me. Cant turn on the smoke/fog effect without dipping to 45-50fps sometimes. Rather annoying considering I built this machine almost specifically for this game.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
it was always playable. it had it issues, but that didn't stop be finishing the game.

I didn't have problems either, but enough did to stop the sale of the game.

New patch has mixed results.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
about the same for me. Cant turn on the smoke/fog effect without dipping to 45-50fps sometimes. Rather annoying considering I built this machine almost specifically for this game.

Did you ever edit the ini files?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Game's running great at 1440p with everything maxed out for me on one of my GTX 980s, whilst the other I use for PhysX. Feels like I'm getting 60 most of the time with the frame rate lock, but I wasn't running fraps.

Regardless, despite all of the problems the PC version has had of this game, I still think it's the definitive version. The fact that we can disable CA and that awful film grain filter alone are worth the trouble..

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Try overclocking the GPU if you haven't done so. Should easily be able to hit 1500Mhz without touching the voltage.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I think I just uncapped the framerate

Delete the ini you edited (back it up first), start the game and exit, verify the cache, and reboot your computer.

Also, only use normal textures. Based on the wording, high textures are meant to improve fidelity at higher resolutions.

You're going to have trouble with smoke/fog no matter what, though. It's just that demanding, and you need a 980 Ti if you want 100% locked 60FPS at max settings at 1080p.

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Did that big fall patch ever end up happening?

Yep, back either last few days of august or early sept cant remember.
Although for PC, you still do get most of the dlc yet, they said that it will be later still

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
There are still Crossfire issues with shadow flickering and studdering. With Crossfire disabled, it's been working great for me. Smooth and FPS between 37-48. I think I dipped into the high 20's once. I have this installed on my SSD, not sure if that helps.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
I have to say this is one of the best batman games I ever played.

I got busy and took a break from it. But man, it is a blast to play. It's brutal and really fun to play. I thought the batmobile would be cool but it is way more fun than I ever imagined.

I have been playing it and it just impresses me so much I had to say something. Perhaps my expectations were low, idk.....but I find this game really really good.

For anyone interested, it's like 15bucks on cdkeys. Well worth it

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007

I got busy and took a break from it. But man, it is a blast to play. It's brutal and really fun to play. I thought the batmobile would be cool but it is way more fun than I ever imagined.

I have been playing it and it just impresses me so much I had to say something. Perhaps my expectations were low, idk.....but I find this game really really good.

I find the opposite to be true. I adore the first two but this is almost to easy. I'm leaping across streets to hit guys. Also when i drop into a crowd 90% run away. I want to fight a crowd of enemies not a couple lame stragglers.

I don't know it all seems a bit done before. It's pretty enough but missing heart. Also some asshole leaked the ending in a way that was impossible not to see. That kind of fucked shit up for me to.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I liked the earlier Arkham Asylum/City games, how does Origin and Knight stack up against those? Is it too much of the same like AC which went downhill after Revelations? Worth getting Origins or should I skip it in favor of Knight when it gets patched up?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Origin is not a bad game but it is not great either. It has some glitches and the controls are not as tight as other ones. If you can get it on the cheap I would say go for it. Ive seen it as low as 4.99 on steam. AK is just plain broken. Even with the updates framerates are jumpy, the game is glitchy. The riddler stuff is tedious and the batmobile goes between mildly cool to annoying. It is so much more fun to glide around than to drive IMO. Again not really a bad game just not great to me.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Did you play any of the previous ones?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

Ugh.

I could not disagree more.

By far, by far, the weakest entry in the series. The Batmobile's "cool" factor runs its course easily in the first 15 minutes or less.
The asinine, overused, vacuous "drone tanks are everywhere!" segments are laughably bad. Shades of Battlezone and G.I. Joe, nothing close to what a Batman game should be.
Horrendously bad writing and plotline this time around. Just awful. The sequences with Poison Ivy and her giant 500 foot tall Oak Tree battling waves of drone tanks, the ludicrous "mercenary army" of literally thousands upon thousands of heavily armed mercenaries...essentially an Infantry Regiment, replete with requisite Chinook helicopters, tanks, and every other over-the-top weaponry you can imagine.

And please...let's not even get started on "The Arkham Knight". Easily one of the worst "villains" of recent memory.

Oh sure, you can have fun flying around and doing random missions, and beating up thugs. The graphics are gorgeous, and let's face it: Just being Batman is ALWAYS a blast.

But EASILY the weakest in the series, worst story-telling, horrendously repetitive, boring, often annoying Batmobile segments. It's passable, at best. At worst, it's the biggest disappointment in awhile.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I would have to agree somewhat with Sulaco

It did feel like the weakest of the set and for some reason more annoyingly repetitive.
Also for anyone who knows probably a bit more than a general passing of batman lore would see who the Arkham Knight is fairly easily... so not really a new villian as the developers said

the bat-tank... yes it was cool the first few times, bit they seem to force it on you some missions, basically saying yes we have this cool tank, lest build something around it.

For $10-$15, i would say it may be an ok by but not for anything more, and i would say $15 is a little much

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Yeah, decent game but worst of the series. Not sure how anybody who played the other ones could like this one more... but there's also a whackjob on these forums who says Assassin's Creed 1 was better than 2 so who knows what some people can believe =P

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I would have to agree somewhat with Sulaco

It did feel like the weakest of the set and for some reason more annoyingly repetitive.
Also for anyone who knows probably a bit more than a general passing of batman lore would see who the Arkham Knight is fairly easily... so not really a new villian as the developers said

the bat-tank... yes it was cool the first few times, bit they seem to force it on you some missions, basically saying yes we have this cool tank, lest build something around it.

For $10-$15, i would say it may be an ok by but not for anything more, and i would say $15 is a little much
As much as i agree with most of that i disagree with the price. As odd as it sounds i feel the game is pretty fairly priced. If put it at 45-50. Despite its short coming there is no denying that rocksteady care deeply about it and put a lot of heart into the game. I think they truly built a game they believed in and deserve props for that. If it wasn't for that shitty port company and WB being greedy it wouldn't have gotten such a bad break.

Gameplay wise it's a solid game. Nothing is annoying about how the game handles. The batmobile is smooth and responsive, the fighting is tight, gadgets are great etc. It's the graphical issues for the pc that suck. The console versions were fine.

Rock steady cared about the story, had a great variety of side missions, yeah the riddles were a bit over done but still OK. They stayed true to the canon and really took inspiration from a lot of it.

So yeah id say worth $50.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I have a voucher for the game since I bought my GTX970. I coupled it with an i7 4970k.

I'm probably going to wrap up Max Max here in a week or two. I want something to hold me over before FallOut4. Should I give this a whirl? Especially since, to my understanding, the combat systems are similar with Mad Max?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
It's a crapshot, if it runs well it's a nice enjoyable game,nothing really special but solid and with a good story,thing is on some machines it just slows to a crawl any time you drive the batmobile and a lot of times while gliding/roaming the city making it an awful experience.