Arizona immigration law hits Latino businesses

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I believe you're wrong about that.

As I said, it's already happening.

6-10 million in canceled conventions alone, and the law isn't even in effect yet.

Add the legal cost of defending this against endless challenges (right or wrong) and you'll get the picture.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

6-10 million in canceled conventions alone, and the law isn't even in effect yet.

Add the legal cost of defending this against endless challenges (right or wrong) and you'll get the picture.

All they need is a few judges to fine the loser in these suits the court costs.

Many will get dismissed as frivilous when they are filed.

All a couple of suits ned to get into the system and get shot down. The law was written in anticipation of such and I would expect that each section can point to existing law for substance & justification.

The convention cancelation is a knee jerk reaction by idiots that do not look at the picture but are spoon fed by the bleeding heart media. Apparently these people doing the conventions can not spell ILLEGAL or understand what it means.

And in the process, it hurts the LEGALS that work in the hospitality industry.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You heard it here, umbrella wants all the illegals to live in his house.

Yeah, because I love illegals so much. Pull you head out of your puckered asshole. We have own illegal Arabs to deal with in SE Michigan, we'll start tossing some of that shit your way. See how you like them apples.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006

That is nothing.

Some of personal cost to me because of illegals. Having to pay a 40% premium on a house or $1200 a month to put my kids in a private school in LA. Stolen car, multiple thefts of various kinds 90-100% all were Hispanic half of which were probably anchor babies or illegal judging by their Spanglish. Highest taxes with little return, because it all goes to social programs. I even had to deal with an illegal trying to sue me for a car accident he caused for 4 years, even though he had no license or insurance.

Then you have the whole quality of living, our schools are in CA are now 47th, you can blame money and proposition 13 or whatever else but illegals are the real reason for schools failing as much as they are. And why would people in CA want to give more money to schools that are dragged down by illegals. Need to take your kid to the emergency room, better think twice at this point urgent care is faster, because of all the illegals using the emergency room as regular health care. Then you have all the no go zones because of gangs.

Why should I be subsidizing all the illegals, if only Raygun didn’t pass the last amnesty and Proposition 187 wasn’t repelled. It’s too late for CA but not for AZ, I hope other states follow.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
<snip>
Why should I be subsidizing all the illegals, if only Raygun didn’t pass the last amnesty and Proposition 187 wasn’t repelled. It’s too late for CA but not for AZ, I hope other states follow.

10 other states are looking at similar options.

Once the AZ law is upheld in a lawsuit, then I suspect that many of these 10 will have something similar implimented (if not sooner) and there may then be an incentive for other states to start the ball rolling.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I love seeing all the right wing bigots lossing their minds :) We elect a black POTUS and suddenly they are up in arms and think we should now spend billions rounding up and deporting 10mil illegal mexicans that have been here for decades. Hispanic is the new black

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
AZ knew what needed to be done and did it.

TX knows what needs to be done but won't do it (yet).

CA refuses to even acknowledge that there even is a problem.
I just returned from spending 2 weeks in Central CA and from what I heard (albeit from mostly White People) they support the law in AZ and would like CA to follow suit. Keep in mind the is an agricultural area where migrant workers are needed to harvest crops. I just don't see how it can be effective here unless they started racial profiling, which, btw, a lot of people there support.

Of course many of those I spoke with have gardeners whose legal status is questionable

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The convention cancelation is a knee jerk reaction by idiots that do not look at the picture but are spoon fed by the bleeding heart media. Apparently these people doing the conventions can not spell ILLEGAL or understand what it means.

Bingo. The word "illegal" always seems to escape these morons.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I love seeing all the right wing bigots lossing their minds :) We elect a black POTUS and suddenly they are up in arms and think we should now spend billions rounding up and deporting 10mil illegal mexicans that have been here for decades. Hispanic is the new black

You really are a dumbshit if you think that because now we have a half black president people are just now against illegals. I guess it doesn't fit into your pathetic agenda that Americans were diametrically opposed to amnesty for illegals when Bush tried it.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

What part of the word "illegal" is so hard to understand? When will you guys get it through your thick skulls that race is irrelevant and the fact is that they are here illegally? You guys throw around the word "racism" because you have no valid argument and want to guilt and shame people into agreeing with you. It won't work.

I love the knee jerks reactions like "But...but.....how would you like it if the cops asked for your papers?!?!" The answer: I wouldn't care.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
No, no, no. They are migrant workers who just want a better life for their family. Why are you such a racist meanie?

Crap! You're right. I need to be more like the hand-wringing, misty-eyed, lip biters on the left in this forum and just call everyone who disagrees a "racist"!

I guess maybe I should start stealing or something. It's illegal, but hey, I "just want to make life better for my family" so the left will look the other way, right?

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You really are a dumbshit if you think that because now we have a half black president people are just now against illegals. I guess it doesn't fit into your pathetic agenda that Americans were diametrically opposed to amnesty for illegals when Bush tried it.

And also remember it was because people were so vocally opposed to it they dropped it. I would expect the same kind of outcome if not even more vocal if something similar was tried again. Just look at how many support Arizona, a margin greater than 2 to 1.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yeah, because I love illegals so much. Pull you head out of your puckered asshole. We have own illegal Arabs to deal with in SE Michigan, we'll start tossing some of that shit your way. See how you like them apples.

Maybe Michigan should look into a similar law and boot the illegals.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
What part of the word "illegal" is so hard to understand? When will you guys get it through your thick skulls that race is irrelevant and the fact is that they are here illegally? You guys throw around the word "racism" because you have no valid argument and want to guilt and shame people into agreeing with you. It won't work.

That's what they are trying, good thing everyone recognizes it for what it is, and the loony left will get nowhere with it.

I love the knee jerks reactions like "But...but.....how would you like it if the cops asked for your papers?!?!" The answer: I wouldn't care.

Exactly. We got stopped by the cops, my wife produced her resident alien card, and we were on our way home, just like I handed them my drivers license, and conceal carry license, it's not a problem if you are legal.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Not sure I have an easy answer, but this seems like shooting one's self in the foot just to make a point to the Feds.

Millions have already been lost by the tourism industry, and the endless lawsuits haven't even begun to drain the state's already depleted coffers.

Az is bankrupt and now the legislature seems to care not a whit that this is just going to make things worse.

At some point, you have to do what's right. A few idiot knee-jerk reactionaries lapping up the PC crap from the media and canceling their conventions should not mean AZ should turn around and repeal the law.

FWIW, I'd like to know which companies or organizations have canceled events in AZ. It isn't that I don't believe you, but I'd like a list to know who I should boycott in the future.

Last edited:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

race-card.jpg

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
But they are putting money back into the economy by buying goods and services, and are paying at least something in the form of sales taxes.
I'm curious if the cost savings the state will have in not providing welfare and hospital services will offset the money lost by decreased sales tax income and money being turned over into the economy by the illegals.

thats a a lot of pepsi sales at the 7-11 to generate the sales tax to cover the cost of one ER visit for strep throat.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

you are the racist for pulling the race card.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

And even better, the "evil" (according to the left) Reagan did initiate an amnesty program in the late 80s. How did that work out for us long-term? Even if we gave all of the illegals amnesty tomorrow, it won't work because the borders have not been properly secured and then millions more will pour in and in 25 years, they'll be talking about another amnesty program.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

il·le·gal [ih-lee-guhl] Show IPA
&#8211;adjective
forbidden by law or statute.
contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.: The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.
&#8211;noun
Informal . illegal alien.
Use illegal in a Sentence
Origin:
1620&#8211;30; < ML ill&#275;g&#257;lis. See il-2 , legal

&#8212;Related forms
il·le·gal·ly, adverb

&#8212;Can be confused: illegal, illicit (see synonym note at this entry ).

&#8212;Synonyms
1. unlawful; illegitimate; illicit; unlicensed. Illegal, unlawful, illegitimate, illicit, criminal can all describe actions not in accord with law. Illegal refers most specifically to violations of statutes or, in organized athletics, codified rules: an illegal seizure of property; an illegal block ( in football ). Unlawful means not sanctioned by or according to law: an unlawful claim to the inheritance; to take unlawful advantage of the trading situation. Illegitimate means lacking legal or traditional right or rights: an illegitimate child; illegitimate use of privileged knowledge. Illicit, which originally meant simply &#8220;not permitted,&#8221; now most often applies to matters regulated by law with specific emphasis on the way things are carried out: illicit conversion of property; an illicit attempt to control the market. Criminal most often refers to violation of the statutes of penal as opposed to civil law. All felonies are criminal as are all crimes sometimes punishable by death such as murder, arson, and kidnapping: a criminal act.

:awe:

Jul 10, 2007

Hey hotshot CPA GuitarDaddy,

I'm anxiously awaiting your reply in the health care thread.

Thanks in advance,
BBYT

Linked for your convenience: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2072889

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

And you are the poster child for ignorant asshole. Rarely is someone so accomplished in both categories... bravo!