Arizona Hotels Thriving Despite Boycotts Over Immigration Law

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2010/07/28/20100728arizona-immigration-law-tourism.html

The gains through June give a depressed industry a little something to celebrate, but hoteliers and industry analysts caution that they don't tell the full story of the state of the industry or the immigration-law fallout.
First, the Valley was one of the hardest-hit hotel markets in the country during the recession, and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009.

"We don't know how much more it could have been," said Robert Hayward, chairman of the Valley Hotel & Resort Association and a principal with Phoenix hospitality consulting firm Warnick & Co.
Most significantly, Hayward and others say, the true tourism impact of the immigration law likely won't show up in hotel-industry statistics until next year and beyond.

Yep just another BS thread from amused who likes to post BS stories from Fox without looking into them. Damm facts getting in the way again. :awe:
So the question are they thriving like Faux Noise says they are or are they just doing better than they did a year ago which happened to be a very bad year for them

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
So the question are they thriving like Faux Noise says they are or are they just doing better than they did a year ago which happened to be a very bad year for them

And the previous year (2008) when revenues dropped 20%.

I vote for Fox Propaganda Fail.

More appropriate examination: The impact on spending from 'cross-border' traffic.

The results of this study, as in the past, demonstrate the economic importance of Mexican visitor spending to Arizona’s economy.

Close to 23,400 wage and salary jobs in Arizona at eating and drinking establishments, retail establishments and other spending-related sectors are directly attributable to Mexican visitor spending.

Through local purchases of supplies by businesses and the spending of income derived from visitor-related jobs, these visitors generated almost 7,000 additional jobs in Arizona in 2007-08.

These jobs account for a total income of $837.24 million and $3.61 billion in sales.

And here is my fav:

Mexican visitor spending represents a staggering 48.62 percent of the total taxable sales in Santa Cruz County.

Mexican visitor spending represents 6.27 percent of taxable sales in Yuma County, 5.34 percent in Cochise County, 5.20 percent in Pima County, and 0.77 percent in Maricopa County.

Mexican Visitors to Arizona (pdf)
Visitor Characteristics and Economic Impacts, 2007-08

Of course, the most practical examination would be a comparison of 'sales tax' and 'bed tax' revenues in Santa Cruz County and the Nogales city budget over the last 3 or 4 years.

But that makes too much sense, doesn't it ?

--

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
No man, it's all the sales tax they pay on all the things they buy like new cars, and houses, and fancy clothes and big screen TVs.

not sure what AZ's sale tax rate is, but how much would they have to spend to produce $650M of taxes to equal the drain they place on the AZ's hospitals and public schools???

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2010/07/28/20100728arizona-immigration-law-tourism.html

The gains through June give a depressed industry a little something to celebrate, but hoteliers and industry analysts caution that they don't tell the full story of the state of the industry or the immigration-law fallout.
First, the Valley was one of the hardest-hit hotel markets in the country during the recession, and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009.

"We don't know how much more it could have been," said Robert Hayward, chairman of the Valley Hotel & Resort Association and a principal with Phoenix hospitality consulting firm Warnick & Co.
Most significantly, Hayward and others say, the true tourism impact of the immigration law likely won't show up in hotel-industry statistics until next year and beyond.

Yep just another BS thread from amused who likes to post BS stories from Fox without looking into them. Damm facts getting in the way again. :awe:

Just more BS Spin from some poor fool who has a hardon for me.

Look, we are in the middle of a recession that started in 08. This year is little to no better than last year for most. So the fact that last year was a record bad year is pointless. It was for EVERYONE. It STILL is bad for most.

So, what does that tell us? Well, it tells us that the boycott STILL is ineffective. That's what it tells us.

Nice try, Marlin, but a big fail at spin. Had the economy rebounded since last year, or we weren't all in the middle of a recession, you may have had something. But... you got nothing.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Just more BS Spin from some poor fool who has a hardon for me.

Look, we are in the middle of a recession that started in 08. This year is little to no better than last year for most. So the fact that last year was a record bad year is pointless. It was for EVERYONE. It STILL is bad for most.

So, what does that tell us? Well, it tells us that the boycott STILL is ineffective. That's what it tells us.

Nice try, Marlin, but a big fail at spin. Had the economy rebounded since last year, or we weren't all in the middle of a recession, you may have had something. But... you got nothing.

AGAIN more BS fail from amused. I backed up my statements you just copy and pasted ANOTHER fox fail.

here ya go some more for ya since you seem to be slow...

"general manager of Arizona's largest hotel, the 1,000-room Phoenix Sheraton, says hotels are losing business.
“
For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million. "You're not going to start to see the impact, in my opinion, until the mid- to late first quarter of 2011," [the general manager] said.
”"
"The delay is because the cancellation fees were too much for many organizations, and they had to go through with their reservations. Will they book again? Will it matter? Who knows."

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/are-travel-boycotts-hurting-arizona-hotels-will-they.html

Differance is most places are not as dumb as you and other readers of Fox and go out and read the full story and see the truth.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
AGAIN more BS fail from amused. I backed up my statements you just copy and pasted ANOTHER fox fail.

here ya go some more for ya since you seem to be slow...

"general manager of Arizona's largest hotel, the 1,000-room Phoenix Sheraton, says hotels are losing business.
“
For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million. "You're not going to start to see the impact, in my opinion, until the mid- to late first quarter of 2011," [the general manager] said.
”"
"The delay is because the cancellation fees were too much for many organizations, and they had to go through with their reservations. Will they book again? Will it matter? Who knows."

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/are-travel-boycotts-hurting-arizona-hotels-will-they.html

Differance is most places are not as dumb as you and other readers of Fox and go out and read the full story and see the truth.

Wow, talk about spin.

You shouldn't post the links to articles you quote out of context, or did you think I'd be too lazy to read it?

The controversial immigration law passed by Arizona's government back in April has lead to over 20 organizations (including cities, towns, school districts, churches and universities) joining a travel boycott of the state. But is it hurting business? Too soon to tell, says USAToday.

Phoenix-area hotels are filling more rooms than a year ago, says the article. Despite the increase, the general manager of Arizona's largest hotel, the 1,000-room Phoenix Sheraton, says hotels are losing business.

So.... More rooms are being filled, but ONE Hotel Manager says he's losing business. Hmmm.

Funny how you left out the leading part of the story, the one that says they are FILLING MORE ROOMS THAN A YEAR AGO and USA Today, a VERY Left Leaning paper declares it's "Too soon to tell."

Weird how that happened, huh?

Oh, and the story linked at the bottom of the page you linked?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...na-immigration-law-tourism.html#ixzz0uzaYx8PE

Arizona's immigration law has little impact on Arizona's tourism

Okie dokie!

Yeah, maybe you should omit the links when you quote out of context, MMMkay?

Last edited:

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Wow, talk about spin.

You shouldn't post the links to articles you quote out of context, or did you think I'd be too lazy to read it?

So.... More rooms are being filled, but ONE Hotel Manager says he's losing business. Hmmm.

Funny how you left out the leading part of the story, the one that says they are FILLING MORE ROOMS THAN A YEAR AGO and USA Today, a VERY Left Leaning paper declares it's "Too soon to tell."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...na-immigration-law-tourism.html#ixzz0uzaYx8PE

Okie dokie!

Facts have a liberal bias. :D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Seems to me that if the boycott was working, in spite of the economy getting slightly better, the numbers would be down from last year.

I'd say MOST people just don't fucking care about Arizona's law, and for a majority of Americans, if they do, they support it.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Wow, talk about spin.

Okie dokie!

Wow, cut back on the roids a little seems your brain is down to its last few cells.

As I already said and backed up many can;t back out due to canceling fees. And they are still way down compared to the last several years.

I guess you forgot your own headline...

"Arizona Hotels Thriving Despite Boycotts Over Immigration Law "

Sorry but 5% is not "thriving" and is still lowwer then recent years past. When you drop a lot in the previous year, 5% is still really low. Let alone 2011 has already had a lot of people back out.

"and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009. "
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...w-tourism.html

Come back and keep spinning, this and your other Fox fail copy and paste threads are funny... with you as the punch line. :awe:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Seems to me that if the boycott was working, in spite of the economy getting slightly better, the numbers would be down from last year.

I'd say MOST people just don't fucking care about Arizona's law, and for a majority of Americans, if they do, they support it.
Also keep in mind that Arizona isn't really a destination of many until the Winter Months. That's when we'll be able to tell if the Boycott is effective or not. Personally I doubt it will make any difference. Now if this was Hawaii it would be a good indication of whether it was effective or not.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Boycotts do work, ask Bill O' about France - pretty much the most successful boycott in the history of man.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Wow, cut back on the roids a little seems your brain is down to its last few cells.

As I already said and backed up many can;t back out due to canceling fees. And they are still way down compared to the last several years.

I guess you forgot your own headline...

"Arizona Hotels Thriving Despite Boycotts Over Immigration Law "

Sorry but 5% is not "thriving" and is still lowwer then recent years past. When you drop a lot in the previous year, 5% is still really low. Let alone 2011 has already had a lot of people back out.

"and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009. "
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...w-tourism.html

Come back and keep spinning, this and your other Fox fail copy and paste threads are funny... with you as the punch line. :awe:

There's no spin on my side. In the middle of a recession, AZ saw a net increase in Hotel rooms rented over this time last year, which was, in fact , in the SAME recession.

Is the recession any better this year than last???

Now, if the boycotts were working, wouldn't it stand to reason that hotel sales would be DOWN???

Only YOU could spin an increase into nothing.

No roids here. The only people that accuse me of roid use are skinny little stick boys and/or fat couch potatos who can't be bothered to do the work required to gain muscle.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
There's no spin on my side. In the middle of a recession, AZ saw a net increase in Hotel rooms rented over this time last year, which was, in fact , in the SAME recession.

Is the recession any better this year than last???

Now, if the boycotts were working, wouldn't it stand to reason that hotel sales would be DOWN???

Only YOU could spin an increase into nothing.

No roids here. The only people that accuse me of roid use are skinny little stick boys and/or fat couch potatos who can't be bothered to do the work required to gain muscle.

As already pointed out 2009 was an awful year. 5-10% is not even close to regaining what they had and one expert already pointed out it may have been a lot better.
The largest hotel has said they are down millions based on the accounts that have canceled without penalties. Those that did not cancel said they did so because of the fees they would pay to cancel.

I already posted that and even one from Fox showing it is a BS story as they did not print all the facts. But brainless idiots like you took it hook line and sinker like the other Fox copy and paste threads you started and looked like a fool as well.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
As already pointed out 2009 was an awful year. 5-10% is not even close to regaining what they had and one expert already pointed out it may have been a lot better.
The largest hotel has said they are down millions based on the accounts that have canceled without penalties. Those that did not cancel said they did so because of the fees they would pay to cancel.

I already posted that and even one from Fox showing it is a BS story as they did not print all the facts. But brainless idiots like you took it hook line and sinker like the other Fox copy and paste threads you started and looked like a fool as well.

No, you posted excerpts out of context, when the BULK of the stories you posted pointed to the simple fact that, in the middle of an ONGOING recession, AZ Hotels saw a 5% increase.

Period.

All the spin is from your side. You spin even worse than the left-wing USA Today, who could at best muster "It's too soon to tell."

You keep spouting that last year was a record low. Are we, or are we not in the SAME recession now as we were this time last year??? Or do you have some magic economic news I haven't seen? Was there SUCH a MASSIVE recovery that happened that no one heard about that would explain the boycotts working even though AZ saw a 5% increase???

No.

Pretty much all you have are insults, and out of context statements.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
No, you posted excerpts out of context, when the BULK of the stories you posted pointed to the simple fact that, in the middle of an ONGOING recession, AZ Hotels saw a 5% increase.

Period.

All the spin is from your side. You spin even worse than the left-wing USA Today, who could at best muster "It's too soon to tell."

You keep spouting that last year was a record low. Are we, or are we not in the SAME recession now as we were this time last year??? Or do you have some magic economic news I haven't seen? Was there SUCH a MASSIVE recovery that happened that no one heard about that would explain the boycotts working even though AZ saw a 5% increase???

No.

Pretty much all you have are insults, and out of context statements.

OMG you are a idiot. Just because something went up 5% does not mean it is good, hell it may have gone up 25% or more if not for this law. Thats like someones 401k dropping 80% but goes up 5% next year, I guess they should retire now as it did go up as the market is back and nothing has changed.

That and early data shows AZ dropping in July.

"There is not enough July data out yet to get a good read, though occupancy and room rates fell in the first two full weeks of the month."

As I already posted...

"
First, the Valley was one of the hardest-hit hotel markets in the country during the recession, and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009."

"For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million."

So July is down and the largest Hotel has already lost 4-5million for bookings that do not have and fees to cancel.

But yea 2 months, that proves everything. :rolleyes:

correlation.png

Good thing you have your trust fund or you be asking if someone wants fries with that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Should have guessed, it being Fox Propaganda and all. What a self-Fail Thread this has turned into.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
OMG you are a idiot. Just because something went up 5% does not mean it is good, hell it may have gone up 25% or more if not for this law. Thats like someones 401k dropping 80% but goes up 5% next year, I guess they should retire now as it did go up as the market is back and nothing has changed.

That and early data shows AZ dropping in July.

"There is not enough July data out yet to get a good read, though occupancy and room rates fell in the first two full weeks of the month."

As I already posted...

"
First, the Valley was one of the hardest-hit hotel markets in the country during the recession, and this year's gains are off ultra-low numbers in 2009."

"For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million."

So July is down and the largest Hotel has already lost 4-5million for bookings that do not have and fees to cancel.

But yea 2 months, that proves everything. :rolleyes:

correlation.png

Good thing you have your trust fund or you be asking if someone wants fries with that.

You keep posting that cartoon. I don't think it means what you think it means.

As for the rest of your post, you keep acting like we've recovered from the recession. We haven't. We've gotten worse, if anything. So this data shows the boycott have little if any effect, which is what I said in my orginal post.

What trust fund? I ran my own business, sold out and retired. And FYI, for over a decade I asked "would you like chips and a drink with that?" Not fries.

Gee, from the same paper:

Despite the threat of widespread travel boycotts tied to the state's strict new immigration law, early results for hotels and resorts in metropolitan Phoenix show little evidence of any short-term impact.

Hotel occupancy was up 6.5 percent in May and 10.6 percent in June from a year earlier, outpacing national gains, according to Smith Travel Research. Average room rates were flat on an above-average increase in rooms. Revenue per available room, the most closely watched measure, rose 6.2 percent and 11 percent in May and June, respectively.

There is not enough July data out yet to get a good read, though occupancy and room rates fell in the first two full weeks of the month.

The improvement mainly marks a badly needed rebound, said Jan Freitag of Smith Travel Research.

The big unknown, he and others said: Would the gains be stronger without the immigration law, which was passed in late April and goes into effect Thursday?

That's because the biggest fallout has been from large associations canceling conventions or taking Arizona off their list of meeting sites in protest. Many associations have broad membership bases and emphasize diversity.

Such meetings are generally booked at least two years in advance and can't be canceled at the last minute without large penalties and the logistical nightmare of relocating.

Most of the groups had no choice but to come this summer and fall because the last-minute cancellation fees "would have probably put a lot of these associations in a very difficult situation," said Leo Percopo, general manager of the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

One national group, the League of Resident Theaters, singled out hefty fees as the reason it wasn't canceling a small May meeting at a Marriott resort in Tucson.

But in a letter to Gov. Jan Brewer, the group said it encouraged members to cancel plans to explore Tucson before or after the meeting and instead visit a neighboring state.

The 1,000-room Sheraton, opened two years ago by the city of Phoenix to attract large conventions, has seen just two groups cancel meetings booked for this year, with an estimated loss of nearly $1.6 million in revenue.

The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity moved its 5,000-attendee July convention to Bally's hotel in Las Vegas, and the National Minority Suppliers Development Council shifted its planned 7,000-attendee convention in October to Miami.

That is small change compared with the loss of business for future years that was tentatively booked and canceled after the law passed, Percopo said.

For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million. All had been on the verge of signing contracts.

"You're not going to start to see the impact, in my opinion, until the mid- to late first quarter of 2011," Percopo said.

He and other hoteliers are most worried about the lost business they can't quantify: groups that are striking Arizona off their list of meetings destinations in protest.

"The issue is that we're creating this hole in the future," said David Krietor, a deputy Phoenix city manager who oversees convention center issues.

The Sheraton and other large hotels should be booking big groups today for conventions to be held in 2013 and beyond and say the sales leads just aren't at the levels where they should be in a recovering economy.

Percopo, who has taken three trips to Washington, D.C., in the past 90 days to salvage association business and woo new groups, said the Sheraton's leads are currently flat with last year. "If last year was strong I'd be OK with that, except that last year was not," he said.

Hayward said some meeting planners and vacationers have likely been waiting to see if the law survives legal challenges and goes into effect Thursday as scheduled.

He worries about a new wave of cancellations and protests from those opposed to the law because "now it's for real."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/a...na-immigration-law-tourism.html#ixzz0v16yS0wn

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Until 2012, however, market conditions will remain relatively soft. For 2010, PKF-HR is forecasting a 1.1 percent decline in RevPAR, the third consecutive year of falling RevPAR for the U.S. lodging industry.

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article44522.html

So hotel revenue is forcast to be down in 2010, yet AZ has seen an increase.

So far, it doesn't look like the boycott has had a material effect. Whether it will in the future is anybody's guess.

If the AZ law gets struck down by the courts will there still be a boycott?

Fern

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
You keep posting that cartoon. I don't think it means what you think it means.

As for the rest of your post, you keep acting like we've recovered from the recession. We haven't. We've gotten worse, if anything. So this data shows the boycott have little if any effect, which is what I said in my orginal post.

What trust fund? I ran my own business, sold out and retired. And FYI, for over a decade I asked "would you like chips and a drink with that?" Not fries.

Gee, from the same paper:

Despite the threat of widespread travel boycotts tied to the state's strict new immigration law, early results for hotels and resorts in metropolitan Phoenix show little evidence of any short-term impact.

Hotel occupancy was up 6.5 percent in May and 10.6 percent in June from a year earlier, outpacing national gains, according to Smith Travel Research. Average room rates were flat on an above-average increase in rooms. Revenue per available room, the most closely watched measure, rose 6.2 percent and 11 percent in May and June, respectively.

There is not enough July data out yet to get a good read, though occupancy and room rates fell in the first two full weeks of the month.

The improvement mainly marks a badly needed rebound, said Jan Freitag of Smith Travel Research.

The big unknown, he and others said: Would the gains be stronger without the immigration law, which was passed in late April and goes into effect Thursday?

That's because the biggest fallout has been from large associations canceling conventions or taking Arizona off their list of meeting sites in protest. Many associations have broad membership bases and emphasize diversity.

Such meetings are generally booked at least two years in advance and can't be canceled at the last minute without large penalties and the logistical nightmare of relocating.

Most of the groups had no choice but to come this summer and fall because the last-minute cancellation fees "would have probably put a lot of these associations in a very difficult situation," said Leo Percopo, general manager of the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

One national group, the League of Resident Theaters, singled out hefty fees as the reason it wasn't canceling a small May meeting at a Marriott resort in Tucson.

But in a letter to Gov. Jan Brewer, the group said it encouraged members to cancel plans to explore Tucson before or after the meeting and instead visit a neighboring state.

The 1,000-room Sheraton, opened two years ago by the city of Phoenix to attract large conventions, has seen just two groups cancel meetings booked for this year, with an estimated loss of nearly $1.6 million in revenue.

The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity moved its 5,000-attendee July convention to Bally's hotel in Las Vegas, and the National Minority Suppliers Development Council shifted its planned 7,000-attendee convention in October to Miami.

That is small change compared with the loss of business for future years that was tentatively booked and canceled after the law passed, Percopo said.

For 2011, the Sheraton's lost business currently stands at just under $2.5 million, he said. From 2012-14, the total is between $4 million and $5 million. All had been on the verge of signing contracts.

"You're not going to start to see the impact, in my opinion, until the mid- to late first quarter of 2011," Percopo said.

He and other hoteliers are most worried about the lost business they can't quantify: groups that are striking Arizona off their list of meetings destinations in protest.

"The issue is that we're creating this hole in the future," said David Krietor, a deputy Phoenix city manager who oversees convention center issues.

The Sheraton and other large hotels should be booking big groups today for conventions to be held in 2013 and beyond and say the sales leads just aren't at the levels where they should be in a recovering economy.

Percopo, who has taken three trips to Washington, D.C., in the past 90 days to salvage association business and woo new groups, said the Sheraton's leads are currently flat with last year. "If last year was strong I'd be OK with that, except that last year was not," he said.

Hayward said some meeting planners and vacationers have likely been waiting to see if the law survives legal challenges and goes into effect Thursday as scheduled.

He worries about a new wave of cancellations and protests from those opposed to the law because "now it's for real."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/a...na-immigration-law-tourism.html#ixzz0v16yS0wn

I guess you missed those parts and only read the headline and slant.

Fail once, fail all the time; Amused's new slogan. :awe:

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article44522.html

So hotel revenue is forcast to be down in 2010, yet AZ has seen an increase.

So far, it doesn't look like the boycott has had a material effect. Whether it will in the future is anybody's guess.

If the AZ law gets struck down by the courts will there still be a boycott?

Fern

In your link...

"The cities forecast to experience the greatest RevPAR declines in 2010 are Baltimore, Phoenix, Austin, Washington DC, and Houston."

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You guys crack me up.

I said "little to no effect" and you claim I'm the one spinning and call fail on me???

Seriously?

You guys have to spin the shit out of it to claim AZ is hurting because of the boycott. You're the ones having to turn an increase in the midst of a recession into a "bad thing."

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You guys crack me up.

I said "little to no effect" and you claim I'm the one spinning and call fail on me???

Seriously?

You guys have to spin the shit out of it to claim AZ is hurting because of the boycott. You're the ones having to turn an increase in the midst of a recession into a "bad thing."

Hiding behind "Thriving" is Fail.