Argh...can someone please help me understand what good Bush has done?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
<<And no - I rolled my eyes at what I said in quotations(a ficticious quote ) not something that you think I said you said>>

Boy CAD, that sure shows a lot of character.
rolleye.gif
<--- rolling my eyes at CAD's lack of character.

Does the fact that the letter concerned attacking Iraq have any bearing on whether or not the quoted statement is relevant?

And just for the record, is it your belief that Bush never tried to link Iraq and 9/11 nor did he try to get the public to think there was? Not asking what you know to be true, just what your opinion is.

What? the part that preceded the eyeroll was entirely made up. Does the shoe fit for you? I guess so - but it was not a direct quote of anything you said - it was an entirely made up(and sarcastic;)) quote. Time for you to untwist your panties Gaard:p

Yeah, the letter was in regards to Iraq - so? Did you miss the part about "acting pursuant to the Constitution and Public Law 107-243"? I wonder what that has to say? Hmm...I think that is the Joint Resolution to authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq. But yeah...I guess it was all just a ruse to trick/blind people into believing that we were going to war against Iraq because of 9/11.
But for your "record", I don't think it matters - because it is all about one's perception of the situation. People will take things differently no matter how or what someone says. Did Bush try to do something in my opinion? dunno, but I know for me, supporting it(the war) had nothing to do with 9/11 - it had to do with Iraq/Kuwait in 1990 and the failing of Iraq to make good on the promises stemming from it. That is my opinion...for the record.

Just for the record - do you think Smoking Joe was trying to link Al Qaeda with Saddam?

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
No. (Of course, I believe you are the biggest stickler for needing an entire transcript...'context' and everything) If you look at the quote, however, he says the victory in Iraq is to stop Al Qaeda, Saddam Hussein and every other enemy of freedom and modernity from turning the beginning of the 21st century.... What a loon!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
No. (Of course, I believe you are the biggest stickler for needing an entire transcript...'context' and everything) If you look at the quote, however, he says the victory in Iraq is to stop Al Qaeda, Saddam Hussein and every other enemy of freedom and modernity from turning the beginning of the 21st century.... What a loon!

Good, but I have one more;) Can you honestly say that if Bush, etc had stated such a thing -that they would be given a pass? I think not, we'd have people ranting and raving about it - no?

And yes I know the context - it's my point! Just because they are in the same sentense or even paragraph doesn't mean that they are purposely trying to link them.:)

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Yet if he (Lieberman) had been guilty of doing it time and time again, it'd be different.

Yes, if Bush had said it, I'm pretty sure some people would've had a problem with it. He has, after all, been guilty of doing it lots and lots of other times.

<<Did Bush try to do something in my opinion? dunno>>
But do you think he did? If you truly have no idea, then should you have a problem with those he think he did?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Rockhound
All BS aside, but didn't Bill Clinton say in 1998 exactly what Bush has been saying all along? You can hammer Bush all you want, but Billy Boy said just as much 5 years ago, so be fair and nail him as well.

Hell that ain't news... hillary is NOW as pro war as they come. It's all to get the money from these big corps to keep them in office and secure employment after. I guess thank god we don't have a draft so you don't have to pay for the profits with your blood just wish we could withhold tax money they are bilking us for.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: X-Man
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: X-Man
The war in Iraq, given the justifications (WMD) that have, thus far, turned out to be false, I hesitate to bring up anything around that.

If you read David Kay's report, Iraq had the means and ingredients to produce biological and chemical weapons. If you have a history of using bombs to blow up people and the police search your house and find components to make bombs, but no bombs, it's still a crime.

You better hope the police don't search your house then, at least if you believe both points you just made. You keep bringing up this same garbage arguement, there is a difference between having the ability and having the end product. In some parts of the world anthrax can be found in peoples backyards, but that doesn't mean they are weaponizing it.

I do?

Hmm, I may have confused you with someone else who made the exact same arguement in anothr thread within the last week. :(

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Originally posted by: Czar
well one thing I belive he did right, though I doubt it was done intentionaly, more of a side effect, he increased spending to get the country out of a recession, though usualy the best way is to strengthen the civil infastructure he did instead strengthen the military and intelegence gathering.

There is still no net new job creation, which means no real growth. He's barely mitigated our decline. Why the hell do you think the euro hit $1.20 yesterday? It wasn't because of sane fiscal policy.

hi

Stocks Jump, S&P 500 Hits 18-Month High
Factories Hum, Construction Booms
Manufacturers Hit 20-Year Record Pace

idiot much?

and those are just todays headlines.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
well one thing I belive he did right, though I doubt it was done intentionaly, more of a side effect, he increased spending to get the country out of a recession, though usualy the best way is to strengthen the civil infastructure he did instead strengthen the military and intelegence gathering.

There is still no net new job creation, which means no real growth. He's barely mitigated our decline. Why the hell do you think the euro hit $1.20 yesterday? It wasn't because of sane fiscal policy.

hi

idiot much?

So what, Bush isn't responsible for it!

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

hi

idiot much?

who is?

Amber law.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

hi

idiot much?

He's responsible for part of it. Just goes to show what you know.
rolleye.gif

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: dirtboy

hi

idiot much?

He's responsible for part of it. Just goes to show what you know.
rolleye.gif

Sorry, my bad, its the residual effects of Clinton's tax hikes.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo

hi

idiot much?

who is?

Amber law.
American Business and American Consumers!

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
he reduced the federal income tax rates (i know most of you kids don't pay any taxes, but you'll appreciate this alot more when you do)

he has turned around an economy which had tanked aftrer the internet bubble burst.

he has ousted a despot in Iraq, probably prevented Iran from getting nuclear weapons in the process, ousted a oppressive goverment in Afganistan, and actually has a plan that might turn the entire middle east into a stable democratic region for the first time in history.

he has brought honor and dignity back to the Presidency.

now all you kids can flame me..

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo

hi

idiot much?

who is?

Amber law.
American Business and American Consumers!

yep, in response to his economic stimulus package

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Before we invaded Afghanistan, opium production was under 200 metric tons per year. Now it's over 3500 metric tons per year. More coke is good, right?