Argh, calling Dell for restore cds!

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I called E-Machines last week for a friend to order restore cds. The option to order was right in the sfirst telephone menue and took about 10 minutes max. I called Dell today for mine. I first had to be transfered to tech support, talk with a woman for 10 minutes about my system issues, etc. I mean holy crap, just let me order the CDs! 18 minutes later I am still on the phone.

/rant

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
F11, Restore HD, done.

If, however, you deleted the restore partition, you deserve all the pain you get.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Raduque
F11, Restore HD, done.

If, however, you deleted the restore partition, you deserve all the pain you get.

Doesn't work for some reason on this system. The partition is intact, I just can't use it.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: dquan97
should've paid the $10...;)

Yeah. I order them for every system I ever order for anyone, but just never saw the option when I was placing my order.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: Raduque
F11, Restore HD, done.

Doesn't work for some reason on this system. The partition is intact, I just can't use it.

Try Ctrl+F11 at bootup. If its a laptop, remove the battery and use AC power only. Dell has a weird way to get into that partition for some reason.

And yes, trying to order restore CDs through Dell sucks.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
getting the CDs through the email dance was easier than by phone.
basically, it was:
-me ask for cds.
-they respond with "we're saving the environment; cutting down on materials; use restore partition; create your own..."
-me respond with "sure, but in case of full system crash and the hdd won't even come on, i can't restore the partition (and 'create your own OS disc fails halfway through process)."
-they respond "we will send some over"
-me received discs within 2 days(!)

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
I called E-Machines last week for a friend to order restore cds. The option to order was right in the sfirst telephone menue and took about 10 minutes max. I called Dell today for mine. I first had to be transfered to tech support, talk with a woman for 10 minutes about my system issues, etc. I mean holy crap, just let me order the CDs! 18 minutes later I am still on the phone.

/rant

Dude, you're getting pwned by Dell!