Area 51

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Danman
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Printer Bandit
Bob Lazar had Majestic 12 (38 levels above top secret) clearance. Check out the picture of his badge and scan of his W2 on his wikipedia page.

You are joking right. There is no level above TS, i know i have TS clearance and work for the Gov in DC.

Oh and heres what the FBI did when they thought soemone was runnign around with TS papers that were marked Majestic 12...

Majestic12

That just sounds silly. "38 levels above top secret" :laugh:

And Marlin what's a top secret security badge/card look like ...:camera:'s please - and could you go into Area 51?

Haha, there isn't a uniform TS badge. Basically, there's a system that keeps track of everyone's clearance and where they are assigned to. Like Marlin said, there isn't anything over TS. There's compartments that you can be assigned if you have the need to know, but that's it.

Actually there is.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Bob Lazar had Majestic 12 (38 levels above top secret) clearance. Check out the picture of his badge and scan of his W2 on his wikipedia page.

You are joking right. There is no level above TS, i know i have TS clearance and work for the Gov in DC.

Oh and heres what the FBI did when they thought soemone was runnign around with TS papers that were marked Majestic 12...

Majestic12

And Marlin what's a top secret security badge/card look like ...:camera:'s please - and could you go into Area 51?

Haha, there isn't a uniform TS badge. Basically, there's a system that keeps track of everyone's clearance and where they are assigned to. Like Marlin said, there isn't anything over TS. There's compartments that you can be assigned if you have the need to know, but that's it.

Actually there is.

Within the DoD and DIA span, I have never heard, seen, or was told that there was anything over TS. There's SAPs if that's what you are referring to.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway
Originally posted by: Safeway

Majestic12

Just like any other. There are numbers on it. Mine has a large S3 which is TS. S2 secret and so forth. Just walk near any gov office and look at their badge. All look the same and we now have a little chip on it with our info.
And no I can't go anywhere. Just because you have TS does not mean everything is for your eyes. And if its not for your eyes and/or has anything to do with your job DS will be all over you. I can;t just walk into C.Rices office and sit at her desk when she is out. I could not even get that far.
Tv/Movies make it sound like having TS means you can do, see, and go anywhere in the Gov. But that is not the case. Gettign TS is a pain I can tell you that. And if you lose your clearance you lose your job. So having it can be a hegative as we have got rid of people by getting their clerance revoked.

Then why are you talking so openly about your clearance? Isn't that a good way to lose your clearance, and thus, your job?

I still want pics of badge

Yea, not sure I believe someone talking so openly about TS clearance. One of my family members recently went from SWAT to Secret Service, and he hardly talks to family about it. I highly doubt a TS clearance government employee would rave about it on AnandTech.

This is all public, unclassified knowledge. You can infer several things from the statements that are made here, but we aren't providing anyone with classified information.

BTW, I currently have a TS/SCI clearance. Also, I haven't seen Marlin's badge before, we had different colors to specify clearance level. I believe different locations/directorates do it differently.

Correct its public info. Want to know more about me just do a FOIA on me as i am a Gov employee and its open. I am not undercover, covert, etc... heck call state dept. and give them my name and they will tell you where I work and my phone number.

Or like i said beofre just look at peoples badges when they walk out the door at state or any other agency. Mind you I put mine away as soon as I walk out but most don;t.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Then why are you talking so openly about your clearance? Isn't that a good way to lose your clearance, and thus, your job?

Yea, not sure I believe someone talking so openly about TS clearance. I highly doubt a TS clearance government employee would rave about it on AnandTech.

Having a secret clearance doesn't actually mean it's a secret. :) And you really don't have to be some special spook doing hush-hush stuff to need one. My husband had a TS clearance for many years in the Army because he was a communications officer and dealt with encrypted communications, codes o' the day and the like. My son has a TS clearance. They aren't required to lower their voices and do :shifty eyes; every time they mention it. The only time I ever knew it to impact our lives was when we wanted to drive to Berlin through East Germany (before the reunification). He wasn't allowed (by the Army) to go through by automobile because of his clearance. He had to fly.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
last information i seen, was that the projects there were being transferred to a different location. Alot of rumors but most of them do point toward the area having been used as a test site for experimental equipment. Same person who told me the projects were winding down, also hinted that a new base would be established, with facilities that would more closely mimic the demands of the current military objectives and requirements (physical constraints on type of eqiupment used, conditions of the usage, ect).

but you could also go to the gate and just ask. but it's recommended to have a friend nearby with bail money, and a lawyer on retainer that can immediately assist you after you are arrested.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: allisolm

Yea, not sure I believe someone talking so openly about TS clearance. I highly doubt a TS clearance government employee would rave about it on AnandTech.

Having a secret clearance doesn't actually mean it's a secret. :) And you really don't have to be some special spook doing hush-hush stuff to need one. My husband had a TS clearance for many years in the Army because he was a communications officer and dealt with encrypted communications, codes o' the day and the like. My son has a TS clearance. They aren't required to lower their voices and do :shifty eyes; every time they mention it. The only time I ever knew it to impact our lives was when we wanted to drive to Berlin through East Germany (before the reunification). He wasn't allowed (by the Army) to go through by automobile because of his clearance. He had to fly.

Well that's no fun. If I have top secret clearance I better be doin some top secret shit with ":shifty eyes;" and lowering of voices involved.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Well that's no fun. If I have top secret clearance I better be doin some top secret shit with ":shifty eyes;" and lowering of voices involved.

:laugh:
How true! Once upon a time a long time ago I had a confidential clearance and I thought I was hot stuff - one step away from superspook. Then I found out that the cleaning team had the same clearance.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Initially, starting in the 1950s, Area 51 was for Skunkworks test flights. U2, SR-71, Stealth, etc. Since the '80s though, it's been a toxic waste dump. They were burning for a while, but some civilian employees got some bizarre cancers, at which point the DoD hired Lazar to get on Vegas TV and tell stories about aliens.