Are you skipping Avatar 2?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
That's exactly why I plan to pass. I hated the story in the first one, but the 3D was the best!! I need a story to grab me in this new one. It's over 3 hours!

I would be more tempted to watch it in 3D, but it would be about $12 instead of the $5 I'm used to at our local Mom & Pop movie theater. I also don't like the fact that longer movies like this are no longer shown with an official intermission in the middle any more. My wife and I both firmly believe that if they gave people an 8-10 minute break in the middle, they would sell more popcorn & snacks.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Nah. I don't watch anything older than 1990. :triumph:

j/k I didn't watch the first, so I doubt that I'll watch the second one.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
CGI never made a movie for me, and Avatar 1's plot/characters were pretty pedestrian IMO. The idea of watching Avatar 2 in any form is a question of "just how bored am I going to be". The only thing that's making me think otherwise is that a comic book author I follow rates it highly (which also makes me think that just because I like their work doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with them on everything, and maybe they just really dig the artwork).

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The visuals were great on the first one but the writing was ham fisted at best. I'm not going out of my way to see it in the theater.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I’ll probably rent it from Redbox with a promotional offer ($2-3).

Then I’ll get baked with wifey, tune out the dialog, and pretend the first film never existed.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
The visuals were great on the first one but the writing was ham fisted at best. I'm not going out of my way to see it in the theater.

I do think these are basically the only movies worth watching in 3D. I remember the first one being pretty cool to see in 3D. Problem is that 3D movie should really be about an hour and a half. As I don't want to wear those glasses longer than that.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
The older I get the more I hate other people and the less I want to spend time trapped in a movie theatre with them.

Just go and sit in the front row, then set your phone's screen to its brightest setting, hold it up and play a game - that's how you let folks know you are enjoying the movie.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When the ships started arriving at Pandora again an idea did occur to me for something we could see in subsequent movies:

If you're the Na'Vi (or related sympathetic party) absent some sort of durable agreement the only way to stop the humans from coming and wrecking your culture/biosphere and murdering you is to make it impossible for more to come in the first place. Given the now expressed goal of taking over Pandora due to Earth's ecological collapse the first seems unlikely. This would involve comandeering one or more of the Venture Star class starships in orbit and sending it on a return course to earth without instructions to decelerate. You'd also have to disable the colony's superluminal communications to prevent them from warning Earth. What happens when a massive ship still carrying a substantial payload of antimatter impacts the earth at 3/4ths the speed of light? Likely not good things.

Reactions: Captante