Are you skipping Avatar 2?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Our local mom & pop movie theater announced that they will not be showing Avatar 2, because Disney demanded 2/3 of the box office receipts. I remembered how LONG the first one was, and then saw that the new one is even longer. Despite being a huge science fiction fan, I just can't get up any interest to go see the movie.

Box Office

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
There is a new Avatar movie? I think I will skip it because what the director has said about the fans.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
NOT skipping it. Loved the first one. Husband and I are going this afternoon. 3D Dolby Atmos. 3hrs 12 min. Don't care what the director said. Don't care how hamfisted the story might be. Don't care how long it is or how much Disney demanded. Going anyway. You all can enjoy not seeing it while I enjoy seeing it. :D

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i saw the original, but forgot what happened like an hour after. not planning to see the 2nd or 3rd one.

maybe they're better in 3d, i only saw the 2d version.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't have any plans to see it. The first one wasn't particularly memorable - visually OK, but I spent most of it thinking that the politics of it were decidedly dodgy (which itself probably was a sign that the story wasn't particularly engaging)

In any case, I generally only end up seeing movies when some friend or family member suggests watching them (whether on TV or cinema). They're usually just a social event thing, not something I'd seek out. Even if they're on free-to-air TV I usually can't be bothered sitting through them. With a very few exceptions.

Reactions: Pohemi

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Watched in glorious 3D last Friday.

Enjoyed it, by sadly you'll hardly see a real person in a lot of scenes. Disappointed that there was no Sam Worthington as the real Jake Sully like in the 1st movie, just his Na'vi Avatar.

• Love
Reactions: allisolm

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't watch or subscribe to Disney or their subsidiaries.
I vehemently oppose them mostly because of their copyright abuse and the way they treat their workers.

And yes, I know it means no ESPN, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, ABC television, Fox, FX, national Geographic, and various other content/brands. If they put something on HBO or Criterion or Netflix I'll consider watching it even though I know they get something out of it/licensing from it.

Also, if family members take their kids to one of their parks I'll keep my mouth shut and wish them a fun happy magical vacation.

Anyhow, dont really plan to see Avatar 2 as I suspect it will be as bad as the 1st one.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The first one was one of the most overrated movies ever, judging by box office take and general buzz. Can't see dropping movie theater money for a sequel that's almost destined to be even worse.

Reactions: Pohemi and biostud

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Yes, but I haven't been to the movie theater for six years, (coincidentally the same amount of years I've had small children) and avatar would not be the movie to bring me back.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Probably not. Graphics were pretty amazing in the first one, otherwise, just okay.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm sure I'll see it eventually but I won't be going out of my way.

I did enjoy the first one but not anywhere near to the level of hype it generated.... frankly I'm FAR more tempted to go see Maverick on a big screen right now. (despite already having streamed it)

;)

Reactions: stargazr

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nope. Last movie I saw in theatre was Minions Rise of Gru with the kids.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The first one was good, I'll watch this one, but if it's super long I rather watch it at home so I can put it on pause for bathroom breaks.

I'm not that crazy about going to the cinema, like I don't mind it, sometimes my dad asks if he wants to go so I'll come, it makes an outing, but I don't go out of my way to go.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Our local mom & pop movie theater announced that they will not be showing Avatar 2, because Disney demanded 2/3 of the box office receipts. I remembered how LONG the first one was, and then saw that the new one is even longer. Despite being a huge science fiction fan, I just can't get up any interest to go see the movie.

Box Office

IIRC The Studio taking 2/3 isn't bad for a first run movie. Or so I thought. There must be more to it, like how many days they are required to show the movie.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is it in 3D? Is that a thing now or is it totally dead?
I found the first film a bit Meh, I'm kinda tempted to see this one if it's in 3D just in case it's the last 3D film.

I'm always slightly stunned when the list of the highest grossing films are shown and Avatar is up there. Then I look down the list and realise that the general public has no taste at all!

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
IIRC The Studio taking 2/3 isn't bad for a first run movie. Or so I thought. There must be more to it, like how many days they are required to show the movie.

Standard is 50-50 for the first week, then the percentage to the studio drops each week as an incentive for the theaters to keep it playing longer.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Just like I skipped the first one. I don't go see movies that are about shoving visual effects on screen.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Avatar is a movie I'd only see in 3D. The first one was gorgeous to watch, I'm glad I saw it in 3D, had no interest to see it since.

That was the best 3D experience ever. I went to one other 3D movie and it didn't compare at all.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I won't go to the theater to watch the new one but I'll save that money instead and buy a copy next year or following year once the blu-ray prices have settled down.