Are you ready for some BASEBALL!!!!?!?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phlashphire

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2000

<< The Metsies won't be the Rangers. We have quality starters and a good bullpen with Weathers and Benitez (and Franco and Guthrie and Chen/D'amico and Komiyama). >>

I'm still not sold on Benitez as 'the closer'... Is it just me or does it seem like when it realy counted, that's when he faultered. I was at that Braves game nearing the end of the season (where Mets needed to beat the braves for any chance at wildcard), the mets were up by 2 in the ninth, 2 outs... Benitez comes in and gives up 2 runs, and mets eventually lost... what a heartbreaker! There were numerous similar moments in the past. Although I'll definitely give him credit for amassing the amount of saves he had.

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
This thread is a breath of fresh air. I read every word. Can't wait until I can watch the action again.

Oh, well, back to work. Go Yankees, always interesting.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001

<< Who, who and who? >>

They are not superstars by any stretch of the imagination but very very solid roleplayers. Most avid followers of basesball should have heard of all three of these players.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Gosh, from the way some of you Spankee fans talk, you'd think that you didn't actually LOSE. Thankfully I have the World Series DVD and can watch Game 7, Inning 9, whenever my heart desires.

And before you write off any chances of a Diamondback repeat, please kindly remember that the team won the World Series without their third starter and their ace reliever, both of whom have look to return to full strength (Todd Stottlemyre and Matt Mantei). Erubiel Durazo looks to get regular PT this season, which will give another strong bat in the lineup in addition to Gonzo. And while the loss of Reggie Sanders will hurt, the loss of his inconsistency will not (33 HRs, .238BA). His replacement, Danny Bautista, is a much more consistent hitter. Oh, yeah, and the D-backs also strengthened their middle relief (through the addition of Mike Myers) and retained all of the free agents they wanted to (Sanders was not offered a contract.)

zod

Oct 10, 1999
badluck -

I've never noticed your sig before... Mizzou fan?

Xerox Man -

You got yourselves an OLD team, don't forget that. And you don't know what you're getting with Stott. Durazo rules.

Fausto1 -

Didn't see your reply earlier.
Astacio had a 5.49... in COORS! He had a 3.99 away from Coors, and even that is inflated from what he'll likely produce in a full season away from that place.

And after being sent down to the minors, Trachsel dumped a pitch and responded with a 2.76 ERA and 9-3 record in the second half.

Chen is still young (and the crown jewel of the Braves' system)... he's only 24.

D'Amico, when healthy had a 2.66 ERA... not that I am counting on him to be healthy.

And strikeouts have almost no effect on offensive output. Almost all the great hitters strike out a TON. The Brewers didn't score runs because they couldn't get on base. They didn't have a single guy that could consistently get on base at a high rate (Burnitz did the most...and thats sad).

I can't *wait* for the season to start...

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Gosh, from the way some of you Spankee fans talk, you'd think that you didn't actually LOSE. Thankfully I have the World Series DVD and can watch Game 7, Inning 9, whenever my heart desires.

And before you write off any chances of a Diamondback repeat, please kindly remember that the team won the World Series without their third starter and their ace reliever, both of whom have look to return to full strength (Todd Stottlemyre and Matt Mantei). Erubiel Durazo looks to get regular PT this season, which will give another strong bat in the lineup in addition to Gonzo. And while the loss of Reggie Sanders will hurt, the loss of his inconsistency will not (33 HRs, .238BA). His replacement, Danny Bautista, is a much more consistent hitter. Oh, yeah, and the D-backs also strengthened their middle relief (through the addition of Mike Myers) and retained all of the free agents they wanted to (Sanders was not offered a contract.)
>>

Please kindly remember that the "Spankees" also made significant offseason moves. The loss of Tino will hurt, but his replacement certainly will not (2001 leader in OBP [almost .500!] and SLG, top 8 in R, HR, RBI and AVG, and over 1.100 OPS 2 straight years!). While left and right field is still in question, the infield is solid as ever. The only thing the 'backs have is a 1-2 combo starting rotation and Luis Gonzalez. Todd Stottlemyre as a third starter is laughable as he would be a 5th starter at best on the Yankees. Oh, yeah, and the "Spankees" also stregthened their middle relief (through Karsay [8.5 K/9 innings, 3.32 K/BB ratio last year, 1.11 WHIP]).

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Zod: good points on those pitchers, I guess we'll just have to see how everyone settles in this year. I'll have to be convinced by Albie although the local press on him has been generally positive. Apparently Mazzone is taking his usual "throw one thing great, two things very well, and don't worry about the rest" approach with him. God knows if he can squeeze good pitching out of someone with as unremarkable a delivery as Millwood, he should be able to do good things with Albie. I'm personally hoping Marquis will have a 14+ wins season...I really like his approach on the mound. I really thought he pitched well last year for the most part although his record didn't reflect this thanks to our completely pathetic offense last year.:(

As for the strikeout thing, I'm kinda on the fence with that, I just thought it was an interesting article. Personally, I'd rather have guys put the ball in play 90% of the time (Sheff!) rather than crush it or miss it entirely. With the ball in play, you at least have a chance of moving base runners or getting a cheap single on an error. You'll recall that Furcal reached first on several occasions simply because his speed caused the fielder to rush the throw or bobble the ball doing the old "trying to throw to first before I've really caught it" routine.

Like I said tho, gonna be a good year between the Mets/Braves. Nice to finally have a real rivalry down here other than college football.

Fausto

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Please kindly remember that the "Spankees" also made significant offseason moves. The loss of Tino will hurt, but his replacement certainly will not (2001 leader in OBP [almost .500!] and SLG, top 8 in R, HR, RBI and AVG, and over 1.100 OPS 2 straight years!). While left and right field is still in question, the infield is solid as ever. The only thing the 'backs have is a 1-2 combo starting rotation and Luis Gonzalez. Todd Stottlemyre as a third starter is laughable as he would be a 5th starter at best on the Yankees. Oh, yeah, and the "Spankees" also stregthened their middle relief (through Karsay [8.5 K/9 innings, 3.32 K/BB ratio last year, 1.11 WHIP]).

Yes, Giambi is a great player.

But championships are won with great pitching and great defense. While the D-backs pursued Wells, I'm not convinced that he's got anything left. And, FYI, Stottlemyre won't be the third the starter. He won't even be the fourth starter. Our starting rotation is Johnson, Schilling, Helling, Brian Anderson, and finally Stottlemyre.

I like how you ignore the fact that we won without our closer. ;) The Series wouldn't have even gone 7 games if Mantei had been playing rather than Kim.

frazzled

Dec 7, 1999
What a neat thread ....amazing how many Mets fans there are!

My boys (uh, both the 7 yr old AND the 42-yr old) are going crazy waiting for the Mets season to start. As a matter of fact, in 2 weeks my husband is pulling my son out of school :Q for 3 days so they can go down for spring training.

And this Sunday, Mom gets to drag herself over to Shea at some ungodly hour to get a bunch of tickets for my wild Mets fans. I don't mind, though. First of all, I like baseball myself (grew up going to Dodger Stadium) and secondly, the Mets are a real "family-oriented" team. Many of the players are real gentlemen. The look on my son's face when Mike Piazza came over to him during batting practice and said "Hey little man, toss me that ball and then told him he had a "strong arm" was a sight to behold. My boy *still* talks about meeting "Mike".

One of my favorite things about being a (transplanted) New Yorker. :D

Go Mets!

fraz

YankeePork

Jan 8, 2002
oh man I cant wait till the season starts again. I loved reading this thread. And now that my team has had a whole offseason with our new GM and diversified our staff, I like our chances.

GO DODGERS!!!

THINK BLUE!!!

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< But championships are won with great pitching and great defense. >>

Yup, both of which the Yankees have (Ventura 6 gold gloves, Mussina 5, Bernie 4, Jeter has none but without a doubt is a great defensive SS), add some great hitting to the equation and you have a pretty good team.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I find it amazing that Baseball just get's better where as Football has become mediocre at best. Ten years ago the talent in Baseball wasn't as good as it is today and the Teams definately weren't. On the other hand, the teams that were great ten years ago in the NFL are head and shoulders better than the top teams of today (the Rams, Patriots.. and gasp..Ravens??)

Jul 12, 2001

oh yeah...tom. the mets pitchers and catchers report...oh to be in Port St. Lucie again

oh i wish we still had this man at shortstop and not just on my wall -
Lets Go Mets

and as long as im at it i wish these guys were back in their prime- lets go mets

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I am definitely ready for some baseball. I was born/raised in Cincinnati (1965) and got to watch some great baseball growing up in the '70's in Cincy. There was always a fight each year I played ( even through high school and Legion ball) about who would get wear Roses number, Bench's and so on. My passion for the game has not waned as I have gotten older. I play as much as I can and am trying to get my boys more interested in it.
My hope this year is that Griffey Jr and Larkin can stay healthy and the pitching Gods smile on whatever rubber arms the Reds have in camp. My guess is it will be another long year for Reds fans.

Dave<----- Roots for the Reds and whoever the Braves are playing.

Play Ball!!

zod

Oct 10, 1999
[Jeter] has none but without a doubt is a great defensive SS

fuuuunnny. Pretty boy Derek Jeter is among the worst defensive shortstops in the league. He has no range. Don't let the highlight reel of him going in the hole and throwing someone out fool you.

This is actually the most civil baseball threads I've ever seen. It's certainly nice.

MrDingleDangle -- AWESOME pics... and give the Metsies a year and a half, we'll have another great shortstop... remember the name Jose Reyes!

Strikeouts aren't good of course... but putting the ball in play can result in lots of double plays if you aren't too fast. 'Course, Sheff doesn't have to worry about that...Man, if the Braves didn't get Sheff I'd be SO confident of the Mets chances this year... with Sheff it'll be a great race. The Dodgers could have gotten even more for Sheffield. The guy is one of the games' elite hitters.