Are you interested in the iPhone 5SE?

Cakefish

Oct 10, 2014
www.facebook.com
I'm really interested in the rumours of the upcoming iPhone 5SE. I bought an 128GB iPad Air 2 last year and have since been really annoyed that none of the apps on the tablet sync with those on my Android phone, resulting in duplicated notifications - extremely annoying! So I'm now looking to go iOS after years of being a loyal Android fan.

The size of the phone and cost are both more suitable for my needs than the iPhone 6S. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of 16GB iOS devices so I'd be looking at 64GB minimum. I just really hope that it'll come with 2GB RAM and not a measly 1GB.

Anyone else interested in the 5SE? :)

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
The size of the phone and cost are both more suitable for my needs than the iPhone 6S.

I'm more interested in the discount for iPhone 5s (all new below)

Virgin Mobile and Boost, iPhone 5S 16/32GB for $150
Straighttalk, iPhone 5S 16GB for $199
Sprint postpaid, iPhone 5S 16GB for $300

(straighttalk+sprint hard to unlock. boost+virgin used to be easy to unlock, but harder now)

I got a virgin mobile 16GB for $150, spent $35 for ebay unlcok, waiting for them to unlock it.

going to do some iOS development

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I'm really interested in the rumours of the upcoming iPhone 5SE. I bought an 128GB iPad Air 2 last year and have since been really annoyed that none of the apps on the tablet sync with those on my Android phone, resulting in duplicated notifications - extremely annoying! So I'm now looking to go iOS after years of being a loyal Android fan.

The size of the phone and cost are both more suitable for my needs than the iPhone 6S. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of 16GB iOS devices so I'd be looking at 64GB minimum. I just really hope that it'll come with 2GB RAM and not a measly 1GB.

Anyone else interested in the 5SE? :)

If you're looking to eliminate duplicate notifications... it's gotten better, but it's not a solved problem yet. You want lots of fun? Have an iPad, iPhone, AppleWatch, and MacBook all in the same room. Depending on which device is 'active', anywhere from 1-4 of the devices will fire the notification.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
I'm personally not interested in it, but I'm happy that Apple is bringing back the small form factor phone. I used to love smaller phones, but ever since using my Nexus 6P, I've gotten used to larger phones. If I had to move back to an iPhone, I'd pick up the 6S Plus.

Cakefish

Oct 10, 2014
www.facebook.com
If you're looking to eliminate duplicate notifications... it's gotten better, but it's not a solved problem yet. You want lots of fun? Have an iPad, iPhone, AppleWatch, and MacBook all in the same room. Depending on which device is 'active', anywhere from 1-4 of the devices will fire the notification.
I mean syncing notifications between my Android phone and the iPad. So if I check out the Facebook notification on my phone for example, it'll still be there on my iPad (red app badge icon and highlighted in the notification shade) as if I've never seen it before. Same with emails, Steam, YouTube, messaging apps etc.

I have to open every single app to dismiss the notifications I've already seen and acted upon on my phone and vice versa.

The only way to solve this issue is to get an iPhone so it can actually talk to the iPad properly.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I do not think the 5SE will sell well, and by well I mean compared to the regular and + models.

Cakefish

Oct 10, 2014
www.facebook.com
I do not think the 5SE will sell well, and by well I mean compared to the regular and + models.
Nah probably not. But I'm glad Apple are making it a reality.

I want to go iPhone* and prefer the size of the 5S because it allows me to use it one-handed while maintaining a tight grip on the phone. With the 6S and other larger phones I have to loosen my grip to reach the top corner of the screen with one hand. I'm definitely not getting the 5S though as it's over two years old.

A9 SOC, 2GB RAM, 64GB storage available (128GB even better), decent camera, decent battery life. That's all I'm asking for in the 5SE. Can't wait for 15th March! I need this phone now :)

*for better syncing between phone and tablet and for the decent frequency of OS updates that Apple provides.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Knowing Apple I think we can expect to see certain features left out of the 5SE. Something like it's not going to have as much storage as the regular and +. This is their 5C 2.0. I just don't think people like the idea of a "value" iPhone.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I would have been if they had released it 5 months ago. I held out getting a new device until Apple had their usual fall iPhone event, but gave up hope of them releasing a 4" device again and my aging Motorola was in serious need of replacement.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nope, not interested at all in going back to 4" battery life. Even 4.7" is pretty bad, the plus is the only phone with decent battery life.

And also if it does come true, Apple is insane for calling it 5se. Not only is that a mouth full, it's a mouth full of "old". Call it iPhone 6 Mini, as the 6 is still associated with current gen models.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Until Apple manages to build the touch ID sensor/home button into the actual display so they can reduce the size of the device I don't think I would be interested in any iPhones.

-KeithP

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If it's 1GB of RAM it's dead to me. My wife's 5s is starting to get a bit long in the tooth between battery life and some screen issues. But she doesn't want the size of the 6s. 1 gig of RAM is a deal breaker and frankly, insulting at this point in time.

Cakefish

Oct 10, 2014
www.facebook.com
I agree, 1GB RAM would be deal breaker. Seeing as the iPad mini 4 has 2GB, I find it hard to believe they would release a 1GB iOS device in 2016.

I don't care what it's called. 5SE, 6C, something else entirely. It's all the same to me. A name's just a name, it's the specifications that actually matter :)

I like the idea of a value iPhone as long as the corners are cut in the most superfluous features only. I don't need 3D Touch but I do need an A9 SOC, 2GB RAM and at least 64GB storage.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I won't be surprised if it ships with an A8 instead of an A9, but I suspect Apple is otherwise going to fulfill most wish lists. This is a device that will likely have to stick around for a while, so it needs enough memory, storage and baseline features (such as NFC for Apple Pay) to stay relevant.

And I do think it might sell well, but more likely in China, India and other countries where the unlocked price is more of an issue.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Absolutely, yes. I still am on my iPhone 5S. Not a fan of big phones.