Discussion Are you going to get the Vaccine Shot?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are you going to get the Vaccine Shot?

• Yes

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • I'm a crazy anti-vaxxer!!!!

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'll get it when I can, not sure what the scheduling is but I'm technically an essential worker at a medical company so maybe I'd be able to get it earlier. My gf is a pharmacist so I'm hoping she can get it right away, people are being complete assholes at her pharmacy (going in while they're covid positive and telling her after they get their shit). Her pharmacy is getting the vaccine this week so I guess we'll see.

Working as a sys/network admin I'm sure I will be at the end of the line. My wife is in health care, but not in a hospital setting so we will see what happens with her.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Working as a sys/network admin I'm sure I will be at the end of the line. My wife is in health care, but not in a hospital setting so we will see what happens with her.
Just tell them you are essential now cuz of Orion hack.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
All these people worried about side effects are strange to me. That wasn't even a consideration for me when I jumped into the trial. I was far more concerned that I was expected to be more exposed and that I had a 50% chance of getting saltwater instead of the vaccine.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Probably...but they just said on the tv news that MOST of us in the state won't be eligible for the vaccine until at least June...

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
All these people worried about side effects are strange to me. That wasn't even a consideration for me when I jumped into the trial. I was far more concerned that I was expected to be more exposed and that I had a 50% chance of getting saltwater instead of the vaccine.
Yeah from what I've heard only people with severe allergic reactions are the only people who really need to worry.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

People are probably just overreacting/dumb. They see ads all day long on TV for medications (Ask Your Doctor About...™) with a laundry list of side-effects, and they think this brand-spankin' new vaccine is the same thing.

Dec 10, 2005
People are probably just overreacting/dumb. They see ads all day long on TV for medications (Ask Your Doctor About...™) with a laundry list of side-effects, and they think this brand-spankin' new vaccine is the same thing.
Those "laundry list" of side effects are just the most common ones seen in clinical trials. It doesn't mean that they were severe, fatal, whatever. Plus, the FDA requires advertisements provide balance and essential information, which means including the information about safety. All pharmaceutical products are about balancing risk and benefit, even this vaccine. People are just ill-informed.

If there was no virus going around, there would be 0 benefit to this vaccine, and the risk/benefit would be highly skewed towards risk.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
All the effects found so far are temporary right? Like no chronic issues? If I end up with a sore arm for a few days or feeling sick for a few days or whatever then to me that's not a huge deal. I don't really have any allergies or other health issues so either way not too worried. I think by the time it comes to the point where I can take it I'll probably feel comfortable enough to do so.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
All the effects found so far are temporary right? Like no chronic issues? If I end up with a sore arm for a few days or feeling sick for a few days or whatever then to me that's not a huge deal. I don't really have any allergies or other health issues so either way not too worried. I think by the time it comes to the point where I can take it I'll probably feel comfortable enough to do so.

You may or may not grow a second head.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Anyone know if the immunocompromised are slated to "skip the line" too?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm trying to avoid getting covid so I'd take the vaccine as soon as they would give it to me. We were supposed to go to New Zealand over Christmas this year, so it has been delayed until next year. Hoping everything is back to "normal" by then. But I assume having the vaccination may be a travel requirement in the future anyway in lieu of quarantining.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They aren't even made with live vaccines, synthetic. What's to worry? As soon as I can I'm getting it. Life's a gamble, everything has its tradeoffs. I'll roll the dice on this one. I figure I'm maybe around 80 millionth stick in the usa.
Covid only has a 1% chance of killing me and probably a 5-10% of giving months long issues. Why would I take a vaccine that has 0.00001% chance of giving me some odd condition? What kind of trade off is that? I'll take my chances with the all natural solution to immunity.

/s

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
By the time it's available, I'll probably already have gotten it, if I haven't already(strange feelings last fall).

(Because I have to go to the store eventually.)

I was feeling really weird last fall and like the energy was totally sucked out of me. I probably should get an antibody test to see if those symptoms were caused by COVID.

Wanting to lay down for two weeks straight is not normal......I could function sitting at a computer...but my stamina for any physical activity was shorter than usual.

Most people would treat the vaccine as a license to be reckless. I would not since part of being responsible is not being part of the chain. 5% non-efficacy is not insignificant out of a population of millions, and COVID kills by sheer volume of cases, not by high percentages. The public sector only cares enough to make sure hospitals are not overwhelmed; once that infrastructural problem is fixed, a few more dead old and infirm is of insignificance to them.
I had the worst cold of my adult life at the end of February, stayed in my lungs for weeks. But I've had 16 antibody tests this year, all negative.

I believe 95% is about as good as any vaccine gets, Measles might be 97% but most are lower than that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Covid only has a 1% chance of killing me and probably a 5-10% of giving months long issues. Why would I take a vaccine that has 0.00001% chance of giving me some odd condition? What kind of trade off is that? I'll take my chances with the all natural solution to immunity.

/s
Trying to decode that and not doing well.

Covid may kill you but odds are better that it just fucks you up for life.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had the worst cold of my adult life at the end of February, stayed in my lungs for weeks. But I've had 16 antibody tests this year, all negative.

I believe 95% is about as good as any vaccine gets, Measles might be 97% but most are lower than that.
My cousin did too, but he died in February in NYC. He had told his sister it was the worst cold of his life. When he died, she flew from S.F. to NYC to unravel his affairs. They were an NYC family. She asked NYC to test him post mortem for covid but they refused, saying it wasn't there yet. She insisted, they wouldn't budge. It's since been shown that it was there, as early as late January.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Trying to decode that and not doing well.

Covid may kill you but odds are better that it just fucks you up for life.
You miss the /s? In short, people that worry about the "side effects" of these vaccines vs getting covid are fucking morons. I could see something like the Lime Disease vaccine that had low effectiveness, was expensive, short lived, and not that many people get Lime Disease.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I saw on the news a couple days ago that employers could require employees to get the vaccine unless the employees are exempt in case of religious or health (bad reaction/etc.).

I will take my time for the vaccine while I continue with my mask, hand cleaning, social distance, and other prevention measures that I have been doing since March/April.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You miss the /s? In short, people that worry about the "side effects" of these vaccines vs getting covid are fucking morons. I could see something like the Lime Disease vaccine that had low effectiveness, was expensive, short lived, and not that many people get Lime Disease.

Think that one could give you arthritis too, which is pretty serious and life altering, and permanent. It's too bad though, a vaccine for that would be great if it was not dangerous. Lyme disease is no joke and easy to get if you like being in the bush.

I can see why people worry about the covid one as it's just so new, so any long term effects are not fully known yet. Then again covid itself has pretty serious chance of giving you long term effects too and those are actually confirmed.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I didn't miss the /s, but by the time I spotted that I was just brain salad. I get where you're coming from now. I haven't given the side effects a 2nd thought. I'm gimme gimme gimme the vaccine. My doctor didn't answer my question. Eh, I'll get it when I get it, but will probably send him an email specifically asking about when I might get vaccinated and speak of nothing else, so he can't ignore the question. I popped it to him ~6 weeks ago but also asked about something else. Meantime, I'm not antsy, I'm not imploding SIP. In fact, I have more projects than I can address before I AM vaccinated.

I have no trouble fighting off any ideas that covid is no big deal. I watch an hour of news every night on network OTA TV. TBH, when I saw video of the draconian measures the Chinese dropped on Wuhan not long after the pandemic started breaking out (big men in hazmat suits thrashing people, locking them in their apartments, violent scenes!) I knew we were in for it. That was way before there was any known case in the USA, and maybe anywhere but China.

I still have to pinch myself sometimes, this year seems like a science fiction movie sometimes. I can't remember having that feeling before this year.

Speaking of Lyme Disease, I sometimes wonder if I might have/get it. It would be playing golf... my home course has ticks in the weeds and my hit-the-fairway % isn't the best. If I'm feeling particularly worn out and tired, I sometimes wonder, they say it's hard to diagnose. Didn't know they had a vaccine for it.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I didn't miss the /s, but by the time I spotted that I was just brain salad. I get where you're coming from now. I haven't given the side effects a 2nd thought. I'm gimme gimme gimme the vaccine. My doctor didn't answer my question. Eh, I'll get it when I get it, but will probably send him an email specifically asking about when I might get vaccinated and speak of nothing else, so he can't ignore the question. I popped it to him ~6 weeks ago but also asked about something else. Meantime, I'm not antsy, I'm not imploding SIP. In fact, I have more projects than I can address before I AM vaccinated.

I have no trouble fighting off any ideas that covid is no big deal. I watch an hour of news every night on network OTA TV. TBH, when I saw video of the draconian measures the Chinese dropped on Wuhan not long after the pandemic started breaking out (big men in hazmat suits thrashing people, locking them in their apartments, violent scenes!) I knew we were in for it. That was way before there was any known case in the USA, and maybe anywhere but China.

Speaking of Lime Disease, I sometimes wonder if I might have/get it. It would be playing golf... my home course has ticks in the weeds and my hit-the-fairway % isn't the best. If I'm feeling particularly worn out and tired, I sometimes wonder, they say it's hard to diagnose. Didn't know they had a vaccine for it.
I am pretty sure the Lyme vaccine has been with drawn, due to lack of demand and I believe it has some pretty significant (documented) side effects. Due the side effects, I think it was only really offered to very high risk people.

I have a feeling your doctor probably doesn't really know when you might be able to get it. The states are deciding, and a lot of them just recently decided about phase 1, outside of a framework, I doubt much has been laid out for the later phases, yet.

Reactions: Muse

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

/s
If there are 300 million Americans, using your stats would mean 3 million people will die of Covid...that's the entire population of the state of Nevada.

The death rate is lower now because of hospitalization. Covid has a very high hospital treatment rate. Right now the hospitals are overwhelmed and you may not be able to receive treatment.

There will be no "natural immunity" as antibodies eventually go away and the virus will eventually mutate. It's the reason you can get a cold or the flu every year. You may need to get Covid vaccinations EVERY year.

There hasn't been a "bad" vaccine produced in 50+ years. We've gotten really good at gene editing, how receptors work, and antibody responses. The people that have issues with this vaccine are the same ones that would have issues with any vaccine-those with food allergies (esp. eggs), and those with skin allergies (prone to wound irritation).

In short, you're taking 1000's of times more risk of harm getting into a car than you are getting a vaccine, and you don't think anything about getting into a car. Get the vaccine, if not for yourself, then for the medical workers and older people around you. Take care of them- they need your help.

Reactions: snoopy7548 and Muse