Are You Concerned about the Fiscal Cliff?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are You Concerned about the Fiscal Cliff?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 30, 2006
Come on man, you can't really be trying to pass off this notion as a reality to anyone who is actually paying attention. Repub leaders have been stonewalling Obama since he won the first election and have openly said so. If anyone is not working together it is the right.

Back to my answer. Hell no I am not worried. If we go over the cliff maybe home prices will finally get back to where they were supposed to be all along. That means if my wife manages to survive the cuts in the government we should be in the market for a big, beautiful new house. ;)
Republicans are willing to offer $895B of tax revenue increases over 10 years...but Obama wants $1.6T now. Dems say they will cut spending by $400B (that comes later!) but want an additional $50B stimulus package.

Dems are obviously not seriously negotiating.

Dems seem to be increasing OK with our country going over the fiscal cliff. It that sparks another recession, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Republicans.

Last edited:

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Rep should just let the dems do whatever they want. when the economy's still in the trash in 4 years, obama will have no one to blame. cant blame bush in 2016.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Republicans are willing to offer $895B of tax revenue increases over 10 years...but Obama wants $1.6T now. Dems say they will cut spending by $400B (that comes later!) but want an additional $50B stimulus package.

Dems are obviously not seriously negotiating.

Dems seem to be increasing OK with our country going over the fiscal cliff. It that sparks another recession, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Republicans.

You are in the minority on this rant check this out.....

The poll also indicates that the GOP is not exactly bargaining from a position of strength. Fifty-three percent of the country has an unfavorable view of the Republican Party; only 42% want to see congressional Republican have more influence than the president over the direction the nation takes in the next two years. And seven in ten say the GOP has not done enough to cooperate with Obama.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sYGYDw&usg=AFQjCNFiWRs6l_genLw7WXE1XdLpuXU4ZQ

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

The poll also indicates that the GOP is not exactly bargaining from a position of strength. Fifty-three percent of the country has an unfavorable view of the Republican Party; only 42% want to see congressional Republican have more influence than the president over the direction the nation takes in the next two years. And seven in ten say the GOP has not done enough to cooperate with Obama.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sYGYDw&usg=AFQjCNFiWRs6l_genLw7WXE1XdLpuXU4ZQ

Not only that but Dems remember the last time they worked with the Repubs while they held the top office (Clinton), because they ended up talking Clinton into repealing Glass-Steagall...probably the stupidest thing our government has done since the Great Depression.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not only that but Dems remember the last time they worked with the Repubs while they held the top office (Clinton), because they ended up talking Clinton into repealing Glass-Steagall...probably the stupidest thing our government has done since the Great Depression.

Agreed The Repeal of Glass-Steagall was a Republican idea that Clinton jumped on board which ushered in TBTF and the biggest crash of our Financial System since the Great Depression. The Republicons have such GREAT ideas....o_O:rolleyes: I don't give Clinton a pass for being stupid enough to sign it into law either. In his defense he on record saying that signing this law was a "mistake"...a very costly mistake for Americans indeed.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006

It wasn't a rant. But, to spite my face, I am getting to the point that I hope Dems get exactly what they're asking for.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The people voted for mr tax and spend so tax the hell out of everyone.

That is what they voted for, so sock it to them.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Take away Air Force One from the president as part of the military cuts.

Then take away all the free health care from the President and Congress.

Term limits would be nice too.

ShreddedWheat

Apr 3, 2006
I'm not rich but middle of the road middle class living. I'm fine with paying slightly higher taxes....IF the govt makes cuts in areas of welfare (when there are for hire signs in most windows of businesses there are jobs available), cut down on food stamps, etc.... I'm fine with paying more taxes when the lazy get off their asses and start working and govt quit giving handouts to illegals!

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The people voted for mr tax and spend so tax the hell out of everyone.

That is what they voted for, so sock it to them.

The non Fox watching people have spoken.....I can see by your comments you are a Fox minion. ;)

Nov 30, 2006
None the less you are wrong.....
Do you actually think it's good faith negotiations to demand everything you want up-front ($1.6T tax increases and $50B additional stimulus spending) in exchange for the promise of $400B of undisclosed spending cuts sometime in the future?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do you actually think it's good faith negotiations to demand everything you want up-front ($1.6T tax increases and $50B additional stimulus spending) in exchange for the promise of $400B of undisclosed spending cuts sometime in the future?

I believe that President Obama bent over backwards for those bastards to no avail and this statement is supported by the polling. I also believe the Democrats have the Republicans by the short hairs which is making me especially giddy today.

Nov 30, 2006
I believe that President Obama bent over backwards for those bastards to no avail and this statement is supported by the polling. I also believe the Democrats have the Republicans by the short hairs which is making me especially giddy today.
Just how has Obama "bent over backwards" on the fiscal cliff issue?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Please answer my question with specifics.

Your honestly not aware that the Republicans said they would walk away from any deal that had 10 parts cuts to 1 part revenue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzGZj32LYc

Here are the Grand bargain detail that I'm not going to waste my time rehashing recent history with you but you can read about it here....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/m...-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/obama-romney-clash-over-grand-bargain-proposals/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/politics-news/obama-and-boehner-debt-talks-the-grand-bargain.html

Obviously my Fellow Americans were following these negotiations much closer than you were hence the results of the polls....

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Your honestly not aware that the Republicans said they would walk away from any deal that had 10 parts cuts to 1 part revenue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzGZj32LYc

Here are the Grand bargain detail that I'm not going to waste my time rehashing recent history with you but you can read about it here....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/m...-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/obama-romney-clash-over-grand-bargain-proposals/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/politics-news/obama-and-boehner-debt-talks-the-grand-bargain.html

Obviously my Fellow Americans were following these negotiations much closer than you were hence the results of the polls....
I ask you for specifics regarding how Obama was "bending over backwards" in current negotiations. Is this question just too difficult for you to grasp?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I ask you for specifics regarding how Obama was "bending over backwards" in current negotiations. Is this question just too difficult for you to grasp?

You obviously haven't read a thing I posted....Color me surprised! Let me cut to the chase he put the Big three up for the Repuglicants to gut AND THEY STILL WALKED AWAY. That made ALL Liberals go Fetal but we soon recovered when the Repugs were to damn stupid to take the deal. ;)

Read the article Guber....

Nov 30, 2006
You obviously haven't read a thing I posted....Color me surprised! Let me cut to the chase he put the Big three up for the Repuglicants to gut AND THEY STILL WALKED AWAY. That made ALL Liberals go Fetal but we soon recovered when the Repugs were to damn stupid to take the deal. ;)

Read the article Guber....
I asked for specifics and you give me links to figure out your answer. That's horseshit and I'm done.

I personally don't think you're capable of rational discussion.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I asked for specifics and you give me links to figure out your answer. That's horseshit and I'm done.

I personally don't think you're capable of rational discussion.

I can't help that you can't wrap your Republican mind around reality...this seems to be a major problem in your party. I have illustrated thoroughly that the GOP are a joke when it comes to being honest brokers and as you could (probably) see from the polling data that i am correct in this assumption. Go home and spoon with your Ronnie Raygun doll and things will be better....

Last edited:

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Ayup, I'm not afraid to say that I'm in the 1%. Whatever. Raising LTCG to equal STCG doesn't bother me, but it will change investment strategies across the board, and that will make for a more volatile market.

Proposal:

STCG to match tax bracket
LTCG raised to a flat 30% for those making over $500k /yr, 18% for everyone else

It's easy, raises revenues, and it gives an incentive to stick with long term securities.

i could get behind that. . . though 500 could even be 400!

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
the (R)'s are being idiots on this one, giving back the top two brackets to a what, 3% increase on both? That's their sticking point? Although, the (D)'s want 3% NOW! whereas the matching proposed spending cuts would be a 3% reduction in spending increases over 10 years . . . hardly a fair trade if you're looking for parity . . .

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Just how has Obama "bent over backwards" on the fiscal cliff issue?

He doesn't know what he is talking about. Bob Woodward wrote a book about it. Actually, Reid and Boehner had reached a compromise, Obama nixed it. And contrary to what Obama claimed in the debates, it was his administration that came up with whole 'fiscal cliff' idea. Following Obama's erroneous claim in the debate, Woodward then wrote an article claiming Obama was wrong.

Fern