Are women guys?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Calling a group of males and/or females "guys" is fine, IMHO.

But a waitress should be treating her customers with respect, even informally. When the group was females only, she should refer to them as "gals" or better yet "ladies". Her tips depend on treating people as well or better than they expect, after all.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If the "guys" left the women at the table in a restaurant to go outside to looks at wheels, they certainly can't be counted as "men". They are boys. So "guys" would still apply to them.

With just the women at the table, it was slightly rude to refer to them as "guys". I likely would have used "folks".

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Are women guys? Nope...but when addressing a group of people, "you guys" can include the women in the group. No sense in saying "You guys and gals."

Ladies and Gentlemen please!
Louis_CK_oklahoma-comments.jpg

Why are men called gentlemen but women are not called gentlewomen? Is it because most women are crazy?

Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
If the "guys" left the women at the table in a restaurant to go outside to looks at wheels, they certainly can't be counted as "men". They are boys. So "guys" would still apply to them.

With just the women at the table, it was slightly rude to refer to them as "guys". I likely would have used "folks".

Ladies. Especially if they are old. Otherwise you are referring to these women as old folks, like they belong in an old folks home and then what's left of their wrinkly vags will be even more butthurt.

Wait how can a vag be butthurt...I don't even...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The only way to offset the imbalance is to fight confusion with confusion. Start addressing the group of three men as gals.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Folks... as in grandma and grandpa? :confused:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Maybe the waitress should start using something more gender-neutral like "Ya'll motherf---ers want an appetizer?" That way it's gender-neutral and sexual orientation-inclusive.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net

If all the men had left the table, the waitress could have said: "Would you ladies like to order an appetizer?"

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I seem to remember from foreign language classes that you use the masculine form of a word when talking about mixed genders (whether that refers to mixed genders of people or mixed genders of objects).

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
"you guys" = "you people"

wtf man.

What do you mean by "you people"?!!

The OP is pointing out what happens when women are allowed out of the house, out of the kitchen, allowed to have jobs, a vote, opinions that aren't told to them. They get all, "We're not guys!" Whatever!

Go make me a sammich bee-yotch!!

:p

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Unrelated. I call female friends "dude".

There's a girl at work that calls me dude occasionally. Now I am a male but I have never had a female call me dude before.

WTF! :biggrin:

I am used to it now, and she's a generation y baby. I am guessing that's normal speak for her age group.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I generally want to forcibly strike people who take offense at a group of assorted people being called 'you guys.' None of my female friends give two shits. Nor do they even give consideration to thinking about maybe giving two shits.

Perhaps some of your female friends take offense; they're just afraid you might "forcibly strike" them if they speak up?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
LOL, I use guys to refer to a group of people, men or women. Not sure what is there to be offended about. But we are always looking for reasons to be offended - maybe due to one reason or another.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
All joking aside, this is where "ya'll" comes in handy. The English language is missing a distinct word for second-person plural, and ya'll just seem to want to resist the obvious solution.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I generally want to forcibly strike people who take offense at a group of assorted people being called 'you guys.' None of my female friends give two shits. Nor do they even give consideration to thinking about maybe giving two shits.

This. I said 'guys' to a group of female runners this morning and they seemed fine with it. Never really gave it a second thought until now.

KT