Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
They seem to be perfectly correct in that this card doesn't make much sense compared to buying second-hand, unless you need the low form factor. And then it is not a very good value if you look at the historic prices.

This is quite important information if you want to figure out whether this card makes sense for your use case.

ETA Prime only tested this card for emulating old games, which is much more of a niche than the games that Hardware Unboxed tested.

Yet you are upset with Hardware Unboxed for not 'living in the real world.' It's frankly a little ridiculous.
Actually I'm not upset, but getting some laughs. They have painted themselves into a corner with their RX6500XT review and are twisting & turning to escape without losing face. Very funny writing.

By the way, if this is so bad, yet the best in class, then try thinking of their descriptors for the competitors to this card. Even funnier.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Actually I'm not upset, but getting some laughs. They have painted themselves into a corner with their RX6500XT review and are twisting & turning to escape without losing face. Very funny writing.

By the way, if this is so bad, yet the best in class, then try thinking of their descriptors for the competitors to this card. Even funnier.

Well nVidia didn't bother to release an Ampere competitor to the 6500 XT.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well nVidia didn't bother to release an Ampere competitor to the 6500 XT.

I wonder if we'll get an NVidia GeForce RTX 3040 at some point to replace the 1600 series cards.

I can't imagine that they'll ever make a replacement for the 1030, considering that modern integrated graphics can outperform it.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
- Just checking newegg, looks like the cheapest 3050 is $300 dollars, while the 6500 XT bottoms out at $199 and the 6400 at $159.

The 3050 is servicing a completely different market than the 6500XT and 6400 right now.
I was under the impression they both perform the same even with some of the shortfalls on the NVidia product, not to mention better stability with the NVidia product and RTX features not present on the AMD card and if they are, poor examples of them.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
...not to mention better stability with the NVidia product...

Based on what evidence? AMD has had very solid drivers going back quite some time. There was a time when GCN first came out that drivers took a bit of time to mature. But that was a decade ago. Not to mention nVidia's Linux drivers are certainly lacking.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Based on what evidence? AMD has had very solid drivers going back quite some time. There was a time when GCN first came out that drivers took a bit of time to mature. But that was a decade ago. Not to mention nVidia's Linux drivers are certainly lacking.
Seriously...this gets thrown around a lot in here. I havent heard any documented instances of driver instability with respect to AMD, and yet were like 6 months out from confirmed instances of simply firing up new world bricking 3090s.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Bricking was an AIB issue. AMD drivers are terrible for their video cards. NVidia has their fair share of problems, including a few decade old bugs, but the instances of NVidia having buggy drivers releases often is far less than AMD. Apart from value (cheaper price) and better raster performance today compared to launch and a long time after, what do AMD cards have to offer to consumers? I'm not anti-AMD here, but I don't see the point in spending money on their video cards when there's a better alternative, even if it costs more.

By all means keep living in a world where you think AMD driver stability is on equal footing to NVidia. People love to ignore the problems RDNA has. The only AMD products worth buying are their processors. It's fine. People are free to spend their money however they want, even on an overall inferior product.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
All the Micro Center stores are showing the EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra with 25+ in stock at MSRP. That's the top dog SKU with plenty for everyone that wants one. Quite the reversal in GPU availability over the past few months.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All the Micro Center stores are showing the EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra with 25+ in stock at MSRP. That's the top dog SKU with plenty for everyone that wants one. Quite the reversal in GPU availability over the past few months.
Oh, they have a $2200 Dollar video card for sale!
The reason those are in stock at MSRP is that no one wants one (at that price). I could have bought a great video card for less than that at the worst of the shortages if I wanted to spend that much on one component of my system. As it is my entire gaming system costs less than half that.
This is not a reasonable price for a video card.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Oh, they have a $2200 Dollar video card for sale!
The reason those are in stock at MSRP is that no one wants one (at that price). I could have bought a great video card for less than that at the worst of the shortages if I wanted to spend that much on one component of my system. As it is my entire gaming system costs less than half that.
This is not a reasonable price for a video card.

My local Micro Center has several 3080 10GB options right around the $900 mark. To me that's definite progress, since generally you can run 4k@60FPS+ with one of those, and not have much different of an experience as compared to running the same game on a 3090 Ti.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If we are to go back to end of 2020 / early 2021, the 3090 was being scalped for double MSRP at $3K. Not a single Micro Center had one in stock for many weeks. The 3090 Ti is the latest release. Scalpers have retreated back into their dark holes and availability is sky high by comparison.

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Obviously the cards with insane MSRP and huge margins are readily available, but those which most consumers wants are not.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Obviously the cards with insane MSRP and huge margins are readily available, but those which most consumers wants are not.
Keep in mind that the demand for 3060's is way higher than for 3090 Ti's, so satisfying the 3060 demand requires many more cards than satisfying the 3090 Ti demand.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
NiceHash quickMiner just came out with, apparently, a TRUE, LEGIT 100% LHR ETH UNLOCKER. If it doesn't crash on launch for you. NOT dual-mining.

OH yeah, officially, "The Merge" has been pushed back to Q3/Q4 2022 as an estimate. But they're not going to hard-fork to get rid of the currently-active "Difficulty Bomb".

Should be interesting for 3080-class card prices the next few months... I see that the 10GB models are down to $850, and the 12GB models down to $900 on Newegg. (3080 12GB is LHR V3, not sure if that's been cracked yet.)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Keep in mind that the demand for 3060's is way higher than for 3090 Ti's, so satisfying the 3060 demand requires many more cards than satisfying the 3090 Ti demand.

Obviously as the 3090Ti is priced the way it is, if 3060 had a MSRP of $1000 they would be readily available at MSRP.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
OH yeah, officially, "The Merge" has been pushed back to Q3/Q4 2022 as an estimate. But they're not going to hard-fork to get rid of the currently-active "Difficulty Bomb".

They've said that there is no need to decide yet whether to postpone the bomb and will make a decision later. I think that the chance is far greater than not that it's postponed, though.

They've actually presented a road map to the merge recently: https://tim.mirror.xyz/PWFVaHY3Mrx7srarMmuBWya0J5kioR1l2xaH3p5APDk

The test nets so far have not been without problems, but each time they've fixed the issues, so hopefully they get to a problem free one soon. Once they've got that, they'll move all old test nets to PoS. I would guestimate that 2 months is the minimum for this, if there are very few remaining issues.

Also, I've seen on the miner side that they are actually testing out the post-merge situation as well, which is interesting. If they are more rational than expected, there is less change of a panic.

Last edited: