Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
If the 4080 rumors of being 60% faster than a 3090 are true, that card will cost over $2000. If it comes out this year, how can it not cost over 2k? The price increases have already started to scale linearly with the performance increases even before mining came into the picture. So, 60% faster than a 3090 means at least 60% more expensive too, so around $2400-ish for the crappy models. 4090 should be at least $3000, but probably closer to $5000 because it's a halo card. I honestly think gaming enthusiasts are fine with this since they seem to be paying those prices already. 3080Ti sold out instantly in the EVGA waiting line at $1500+, and that was mostly to gamers. So a bump to $2400 seems in order. If that sells out instantly too, which it will, then the RTX 5080 will probably get bumped to $3000. Keep paying and Nvidia will keep raising.

While possible, I think given all of the economic factors happening right now and likely to affect the future means they won't be able to get those prices.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
While possible, I think given all of the economic factors happening right now and likely to affect the future means they won't be able to get those prices.

Oh, you just wait for the 4000 series pricing. It's going to be absolutely hilarious. The price doesn't matter anymore though because the entire 4000 series generation is going to get botted and scalped to death anyway. The whole generation of GPUs over the entire lifecycle are going to get botted and scalped. Nearly every single one. You watch. Day one will will go from "coming soon" to "out of stock" in a single monitor frame, and 30 seconds later there will be thousands of scalped offers at 3X msrp all over the online markets, and it will stay that way until the 5000 series drops 2 years later. And gamers will buy those cards at 3X msrp without batting an eye. They won't even take time to blink, they will just make a fist and start slamming their keyboards until their credit card information goes through.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And gamers will buy those cards at 3X msrp without batting an eye. They won't even take time to blink, they will just make a fist and start slamming their keyboards until their credit card information goes through.
You forgot to add, "While screaming about miners@!#..."

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

OscaAndShintjee

Feb 22, 2022
Retail prices for most graphics cards where I live have dropped by 30-40% since January. Definitely an improvement, though the prices are far from acceptable even now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I fear that industry fears over neon shortages due to a certain recent invasion, may spark a rise in card prices again, unrelated to mining profitability (which btw, is in the dumps these days compared to the highs of 2021).

Here's a third-party Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT for $1999. Tell me the neon issue hasn't emboldened "opportunistic resellers".

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I fear that industry fears over neon shortages due to a certain recent invasion, may spark a rise in card prices again, unrelated to mining profitability (which btw, is in the dumps these days compared to the highs of 2021).

It's not only neon that's affected, so I don't think problems will be limited to just the semiconductor industry.

Everything is getting shockingly expensive right now. F.x. petrol (gasoline to North Americans) / diesel is right on the path to set a new price record here in Denmark. The previous record was back in '82 I think.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Oh, you just wait for the 4000 series pricing. It's going to be absolutely hilarious. The price doesn't matter anymore though because the entire 4000 series generation is going to get botted and scalped to death anyway. The whole generation of GPUs over the entire lifecycle are going to get botted and scalped. Nearly every single one. You watch. Day one will will go from "coming soon" to "out of stock" in a single monitor frame, and 30 seconds later there will be thousands of scalped offers at 3X msrp all over the online markets, and it will stay that way until the 5000 series drops 2 years later. And gamers will buy those cards at 3X msrp without batting an eye. They won't even take time to blink, they will just make a fist and start slamming their keyboards until their credit card information goes through.

Seriously or otherwise, I don't think the inflated market will hold. You'll have the fanatics who will do as you say but most won't. Burnout is real. Nvidia isn't as diversified yet to drop gamers unless they have miners.

At least thats the hope. That we can go back to inflated turing prices and griping about that as people justify it for RTX research costs and inflation (that seems quaint now that we have real inflation). Things are so in flux right now, its impossible to call for sure.

It's not only neon that's affected, so I don't think problems will be limited to just the semiconductor industry.

Everything is getting shockingly expensive right now. F.x. petrol (gasoline to North Americans) / diesel is right on the path to set a new price record here in Denmark. The previous record was back in '82 I think.

Gas went up in my town by 10-12 cents in a day this week. One station near me is $4.01/gal cash price. Credit is 10 cents more. Thats for 87 octane. I imagine by the summer it will be almost double what we paid here in early 2020.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Gas went up in my town by 10-12 cents in a day this week. One station near me is $4.01/gal cash price. Credit is 10 cents more. Thats for 87 octane. I imagine by the summer it will be almost double what we paid here in early 2020.

Here it's currently at 14.79DKK/L*, with predictions of (well) above 15DKK/L within next week. The previous record was in september '82 with a list price of 6.60DKK/L which adjusted for inflation is 15.68DKK/L...

*US$ 8.029/gal. Has to be said we have some fuel taxes, and VAT on top (and of course you have to pay VAT of the taxes. We are Denmark after all... :rolleyes: ). So it adds up.

Reactions: Ranulf

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Seriously or otherwise, I don't think the inflated market will hold. You'll have the fanatics who will do as you say but most won't. Burnout is real. Nvidia isn't as diversified yet to drop gamers unless they have miners.

Oh, they won't drop gamers. They will give us RTX 4030 for $600. The fanatics will buy everything else between $2000-$6000.

• Haha
Reactions: dvsv and Ranulf

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm so hopelessly bitter that I honestly just want the entire industry to burn to the ground at this point. From Roblox to abacus, the children would be better off. I want the RTX 4080 to cost $2500 and I want to see Jensen's face when he tries to sell us on it. I'd absolutely love it. I want to see people freak out and complain about the price, and then see the look on their face when they realize that their impulsive, garbage neurological structure is the reason for this hobby's demise. I want it all to burn. I want the RTX 4060 to gain much hype from the masses as their big hope of a great mid range upgrade, then have Jensen reveal the price: $799. I'd absolutely love it. Nothing would make me happier and more entertained than to see the logical conclusion of these constant price hikes finally come to fruition: perfect unaffordability for absolutely everyone.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I've been waiting for a $500 RTX 3070 for so long I've about got myself talked out of it. There are only really 2 games I want a card that good for, Alyx and The Lab. Spending $1500 on a system to play 2 games 🎮 sounds a bit silly.

My 1660ti MQ plays Alyx OK on low settings except for the 2 big Antlion scenes which bog down.

I think maybe I'll just stick with the 1070 that a friend is giving me, IDK.

Last edited:
Reactions: dvsv

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I'm so hopelessly bitter that I honestly just want the entire industry to burn to the ground at this point. From Roblox to abacus, the children would be better off. I want the RTX 4080 to cost $2500 and I want to see Jensen's face when he tries to sell us on it. I'd absolutely love it. I want to see people freak out and complain about the price, and then see the look on their face when they realize that their impulsive, garbage neurological structure is the reason for this hobby's demise. I want it all to burn. I want the RTX 4060 to gain much hype from the masses as their big hope of a great mid range upgrade, then have Jensen reveal the price: $799. I'd absolutely love it. Nothing would make me happier and more entertained than to see the logical conclusion of these constant price hikes finally come to fruition: perfect unaffordability for absolutely everyone.
I think you want to be a preacher and covertly practicing on us. In any case, don't get bogged down, preach to the moon and beyond.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

Here's a third-party Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT for $1999. Tell me the neon issue hasn't emboldened "opportunistic resellers".

I mean, you can get a 6900XT direct from Newegg for $1,499...

Jul 27, 2020
I've been waiting for a $500 RTX 3070 for so long I've about got myself talked out of it. There are only really 2 games I want a card that good for, Alyx and The Lab. Spending $1500 on a system to play 2 games 🎮 sounds a bit silly.

My 1660ti MQ plays Alyx OK on low settings except for the 2 big Antlion scenes which bog down.

I think maybe I'll just stick with the 1070 that a friend is giving me, IDK.
You sure you won't get a nice FPS boost in Alyx with a cheap i5-12400 upgrade?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I'm guessing that the sub $120 video card has been replaced by the onboard gpu/video on various processors, correct? Still, it doesn't seem like the cpu/gpu has the same effectiveness (video-wise) as some of the around 60 watt video cards out there.