Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A bunch of people may also realize that other things people need are also underpriced because some people are more able to shield themselves against price increases than others. So suppose the price of bread triples. The rich will just shrug or at worst, grumble about it but the lower/middle class will get crushed because spending more on bread will not let them tend to their other expenses.

Yes. If the rich then buy up all the bread that the bakers are able to produce, then bread was underpriced and the poor must live without bread. That is capitalism. Note I didn't say it was good, just that is how it works.

Gaming is not just a privilege for the rich. A gamer didn't need that much money before to start gaming. A $500 gaming PC with a low end GPU was still an optjon. Now that $500 pc includes only an anemic iGPU, leaving poor gamers to lower settings all the way down and suffer graphical ugliness akin to DirectX 8/9 era.

Gaming has always been a privilege for the rich. You are just so warped in you view of the world that you think spending $500 for a toy is something poor people can do.

PlanetLockdownFilm

Mar 2, 2022
That's where competition comes in. More sellers enter the market. Some sellers, in order to move units more quickly, start reducing the prices while keeping them above the cost price. Unless all the sellers are in collusion, a price war will start, leading to best prices for the consumers. But what's happening now, is that the few sellers(scalpers) are quickly taking up whatever stock becomes available. The manufacturers/distributors don't care who the stock goes to as long as the units keep moving.

One guy told me that the scalpers have contacts at the major stores. As soon as product enters the warehouse, they get a call to come and pick it up even before the product hits the shelves.
What you're saying is also true. But for instance at a seller I'm currently following there's been stock for quite a while for quite a few models, and there's been some moderate price drops but not much. And I think AMD announced they are increasing the msrp in the near future by 10%. I know that basic economic theory says there's an intersection point between supply and demand, but I think the market can also shift if a particular thing is perceived as more or less valuable, regardless of supply and demand. It may sound a bit counter intuitive, but i think it can happen. Basically my assumption is that unless demand goes down significantly, prices will eventually drop but they will be above the initial level for a long time. Of course, I don't want to be right.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes. If the rich then buy up all the bread that the bakers are able to produce, then bread was underpriced and the poor must live without bread. That is capitalism. Note I didn't say it was good, just that is how it works.
This is happening now with the housing and especially the rental market. "Big money" is moving in, to acquire as many rental units from individual landlords as possible, in order to collectively raise rental rates.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
The solution then is to tax the rich after a certain level to such a degree that it becomes unattractive to amass wealth/property/assets. But of course this isn't going to happen if we keep electing the rich to run our governments.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have to ask after reading a lot of comments.....where do you get your numbers from ?
"99% of everyone who would normally be a gamer turned into a scalper"....just interested where this number came from ?

Do you honestly expect me to spend millions of dollars, hundreds of hours of recruitment, and thousands of man hours conducting literal statistical investigations just to have "good data" for a random comment that took 10 seconds to make during a discussion about gaming cards on an internet forum? The answer is 99% because it's true. Those who don't agree will be labeled scalping sympathizers.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Do you honestly expect me to spend millions of dollars, hundreds of hours of recruitment, and thousands of man hours conducting literal statistical investigations just to have "good data" for a random comment that took 10 seconds to make during a discussion about gaming cards on an internet forum? The answer is 99% because it's true. Those who don't agree will be labeled scalping sympathizers.

because it is true.

Ok, thank you.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
because it is true.

Ok, thank you.

Some other facts you may be interested in:

RTX 4080 will cost $2000 and be completely unavailable for purchase unless buying off ebay for $5000.
RTX 4090 will have an msrp of $5000 and be touted a professional geforce card. You will buy 5 of them from ebay at $8500 each for mining.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was thinking, maybe the up/down votes should only be for violating community decency standards or guidelines, not just as an affirmation of whether one agrees with the post or not.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I was thinking, maybe the up/down votes should only be for violating community decency standards or guidelines, not just as an affirmation of whether one agrees with the post or not.
What down vote? I see Like, Love, HaHa, and Wow. :)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If the 4080 rumors of being 60% faster than a 3090 are true, that card will cost over $2000. If it comes out this year, how can it not cost over 2k? The price increases have already started to scale linearly with the performance increases even before mining came into the picture. So, 60% faster than a 3090 means at least 60% more expensive too, so around $2400-ish for the crappy models. 4090 should be at least $3000, but probably closer to $5000 because it's a halo card. I honestly think gaming enthusiasts are fine with this since they seem to be paying those prices already. 3080Ti sold out instantly in the EVGA waiting line at $1500+, and that was mostly to gamers. So a bump to $2400 seems in order. If that sells out instantly too, which it will, then the RTX 5080 will probably get bumped to $3000. Keep paying and Nvidia will keep raising.

Reactions: dvsv

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hey guys, please remember to stay on topic, remain civil, and keep politics out of the GPU section.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If the 4080 rumors of being 60% faster than a 3090 are true, that card will cost over $2000. If it comes out this year, how can it not cost over 2k? The price increases have already started to scale linearly with the performance increases even before mining came into the picture. So, 60% faster than a 3090 means at least 60% more expensive too, so around $2400-ish for the crappy models. 4090 should be at least $3000, but probably closer to $5000 because it's a halo card. I honestly think gaming enthusiasts are fine with this since they seem to be paying those prices already. 3080Ti sold out instantly in the EVGA waiting line at $1500+, and that was mostly to gamers. So a bump to $2400 seems in order. If that sells out instantly too, which it will, then the RTX 5080 will probably get bumped to $3000. Keep paying and Nvidia will keep raising.
It really depended on generation. Yes, some generations such as 20xx series just pushed the price up linearly with performance, however 3070 was trading blows with 2080ti and had much smaller MSRP. Again it's all about supply and demand. We'll see, but I'm optimistic if ETH does go PoS.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
The solution then is to tax the rich after a certain level to such a degree that it becomes unattractive to amass wealth/property/assets. But of course this isn't going to happen if we keep electing the rich to run our governments.
You cannot punish somebody for having enough competence to achieve success.

Help people to grow from the bottom up, instead of wilting the top to the bottom.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have a theory about why Nvidia has consistently increased prices of high-end GPUs to the $1200+ range; it's because SLI is dead and they know enthusiasts still have $1200+ to spend on a GPU solution. They also know a few of the top buyers were buying 3 or 4 GPUs for SLI, so they pushed $1500 and soon it will be over $2000 and $3000. Right around that $3000 mark is where a quad SLI user would be spending, so they will soon get to enjoy spending money just like the good old days. Except now they only get one GPU, but one is better than nothing.
The fact is, GPU enthusiasts have always been spending around $1000-$1500 on GPUs since GeForce 6, because that's when Nvidia customers started buying two instead of one. They found a way to creep prices up and up to get that SLI money back every GPU cycle from those buyers. Imagine telling people back then that they would be spending the same or more as they do on SLI but on a single GPU instead. They would have laughed at you.