Question are video card prices headed down yet?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
For about a year and a half, I kept hearing that video card prices were high due to the pandemic. Now that folks have their shots, folks are going out to concerts & such again,
have prices started edging back down any meaningful amount?

Reactions: Nosware

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
For about a year and a half, I kept hearing that video card prices were high due to the pandemic. Now that folks have their shots, folks are going out to concerts & such again,
Graphics card pricing is not expected to go down any time soon:

The graph indicates we will continue to see price increases for the foreseeable future.

• Love
Reactions: dvsv and killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
the problem is crypto not the corona virus ! :)

card prices will be down in April for previous models.

Reactions: Nosware and dvsv

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL...NO.

You're best bet, is to either physically camp out at a Microcenter, or virtually at Newegg, when a new model card drops. They are often MSRP-ish.

For example, I picked up 3x Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 and an MSI Mech RX 6600 recently, for under $500 ea.

Although, it is pretty sad that we are considering a higher-end low-end (1080P High/Ultra) GPU for $500 to be any kind of deal.

Newegg had Asus Phoenix GTX1050 ti 4GB cards for $195 the other day.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Lol no.

Remember that this period of "inflated" prices is going to have long reaching ramifications: manufacturers know people will pay beaucoup bucks for their hardware so don't expect future prices to come down much, and even used hardware is basically going to sell for "MSRP" since it was purchased for double or more the price and the seller is going to want to recoup the cost.

There is also a huge market out there looking for cards, so they will keep old gen hardware and used market prices inflated what we would "expect" to pay for a long time.

Set your future hardware price expectations accordingly, it's going to suck for a long time.

Reactions: SMU_Pony and meanoc

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Set your future hardware price expectations accordingly, it's going to suck for a long time.
Yeah, I have my doubts that GPU pricing is ever going to go back to the "old normal" any time soon, or even in my lifetime (I'm in my late 40s).

Best find the deals that you can.

A lot of people are saying that prices are going to crash, come Apr-May of 2022 (the scheduled ETH "Merge", aka turning off PoW/mining), but I have my doubts about that too. They said that about EIP-1559 too, and things haven't changed dramatically. I think that other coins are going to be mineable, and barring any drastic regulations, miners wishing to expand their farms will snatch up cheaper used cards once miners with higher electric rates start to sell off, and thus keep prices even on the used market fairly high, I agree, "at least (old) MSRP". Things won't be like the last crash we had.

Ultimately, it's your choice, OP, but if the question were one of:
1) Don't buy a GPU, until prices drop to "old MSRP", or
2) Buy a GPU at inflated MSRP from a retailer, or even an ebay scalper, and mine with it for six months to defer the cost partially or even in some cases completely,
I know which option that I would choose. Why wait? Life it too short for waiting, or in general terms, "Austerity".

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Check back after Ragnarok, until then expect miner+scalper+distributor inflation to run amok.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
All miners should be imprisoned!
So what you're saying is, you're a danger to yourself and others?

Exactly why do you think, that a LEGAL activity, which is making a profit should cause someone to be imprisoned over it?

Should we imprison Florists, too, because they cut down flowers and "destroy the wildlife"?

Some people think crypto is a religion; I offer an alternative, that anti-crypto is a cult of destruction.

Oh, and go move to N. Korea, there you can live out your fascist ideations more fully.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not only imprisoned. They should give back the energy they have consumed, by cycling all day with the wheels connected to a bicycle dynamo, while being whipped and thrown salt, fat and lemon juice on their wounds. Worthless golums.
You DO realize, that there's an order-of-magnitude difference in the energy-consumption between Ethereum mining, and Bitcoin mining, and also, that computer chip that you're using to post this, used quite a bit of energy and water to manufacture. Maybe you should be getting on that bike as well...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Also, besides mining, you DO realize that "the big people" actually use PCs professionally, to make money with, that they aren't "just" gaming toys, no matter how big the RGB accessory market gets, right?

You whiney gamers, crying about miners buying up "your" precious GPUs, are like petulant children that want a lollypop. When you can grow up and learn to provide your own "lollypops" (GPUs), then perhaps you'll understand.

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
You DO realize, that there's an order-of-magnitude difference in the energy-consumption between Ethereum mining, and Bitcoin mining, and also, that computer chip that you're using to post this, used quite a bit of energy and water to manufacture. Maybe you should be getting on that bike as well...

I wrote this message from a PC that is actually used to do some REAL WORK, ie monitoring and supplying medical devices, that people with BROKEN BONES are being operated with, to get well.

Yeah I'd say that this kind of work, is much more important than producing imaginary harry potter money out of....the ether. There's a reason it's called ETHERium and BITcoin. Even the names are stupid.

Also even regarding gaming, yeah mental venting is much more important than some of you freaking idiots, making your fat wallets even fatter with imaginary money, at the expense of others' enjoyment. To hell with you.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Agreed. I thought he was meming but seems he was genuinely angry at miners. The idea that you could give large numbers of people the chance to make money for little work and have none of those people choose do it is absurd. I wonder if he screams IRL at miners buying video cards in shops and sends angry letters to AMD and NVIDIA.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I just saw an ASUS TUF 3080Ti on the Newegg shuffle for $2239. That should answer the question

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
I've bought things with crypto. The seller hand-made rare custom parts and only accepted check or crypto. I don't have checks so crypto it was. I guess I am partially to blame for GPU prices. Sorry everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

right_to_know

Nov 19, 2015
Should we imprison Florists, too, because they cut down flowers and "destroy the wildlife"?

Cryptos more like strip mining everywhere so people can't grow flowers any more and everywhere is poisoned by pollution.

Who knows what all that computing power is really being used for.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You aint seen nothing yet........the sky is the limit and then outer space.....

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I guess I'll stick with the very basic video cards for around 60 bucks for now.....
LOL where do you find a basic video card for $60 right now? Even Quadro p400 with 2GB of RAM is $80.

That said, 5700G is very well rounded APU with GPU strong enough for 1080p at low/mid settings. I can totally see next gen APU from AMD with RDNA, vcache, and DDR5 ram finally being strong enough to handle pretty much any game at 1080p. This could be where basic gamers are heading.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Ah, sorry, I bought several Radeon RX550 video cards, low profile, 2GB of Ram, for $80 each just before all of this madness started. They were used system pulls, so I have been out of it for a couple of years. Other than that, I've only built systems with video built into the processor.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Man, a lot of anger here. I recommend everyone tone it down a notch.

Reactions: gdansk

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Crypto miners still buying graphics cards! Talking another 18 months plus now till trend is gone.