Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Those prices are 3X over the Moonbogg msrp, which is the only msrp that matters.

I hear ya, man. Ultimatebob maximum MSRP for a new video card is $420.69. Why that price? Because:

1) I'm thrifty. Maybe even cheap!
2) I've read too many Elon Musk news stories, and now that silly price is stuck in my brain :)
3) I'm still convinced that mid-range GPU's will drop into that price range once Ethereum mining is thing of the past.

But, seriously, I'm not paying a penny more than that!

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Prices and availability for the 3080Ti at Westmont, IL Micro Center.
Very tempting, but I might wait for the RTX 4080 series, speculated for release Sept. 2022 5 months away.

View attachment 60042Pries

Most popular cards at my local Micro Center.

Capture.JPG

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Even when ETH moves to POS, plenty of profitable altcoins for GPU mining still out there. Current ETH miners will just move to them.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Even when ETH moves to POS, plenty of profitable altcoins for GPU mining still out there. Current ETH miners will just move to them.
I don't know about that. If they're that profitable, I have to wonder why ETH miners aren't jumping now. I don't see another coin becoming the next Bitcoin/ETH.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
What's stopping them from just making another stupid GPU mineable coin?
Lack of demand. It's the same reason why the US and the EU can turn on the money printers way more than Zimbabwe, without getting immense inflation.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Lack of demand. It's the same reason why the US and the EU can turn on the money printers way more than Zimbabwe, without getting immense inflation.

That's going rather well at the moment. Highest inflation rate in 37 years here.

I'm still surprised* the twits-in-charge couldn't figure out a such massive cash infusions*2 doing Corona wouldn't have consequences. Then there is the Ukraine war to top things off.

*Of course I'm not. There is a big blop of sarcasm coming down the wall.
*2 Might take a page of explanation. The alternative was probably worse, but everything has consequences.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
That's going rather well at the moment. Highest inflation rate in 37 years here.

It's still very low compared to what happened in Zimbabwe, even though Zimbabwe printed a lot less money in absolute numbers than the US and EU, as there is a lot more demand for euros and dollars, than for Zimbabwean money.

BTW, Covid caused supply problems and inflation has a strong tendency to happen for products where supply is below demand (hence the rapidly increasing housing prices even before Covid in many places) or else go to value stores (like stocks, which have never had worse ratios of value compared to the dividends, but also crypto). This is all dependent on a belief in the value of the money though. Once that goes, people no longer want to hold the currency in general and inflation impacts everything.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I hear ya, man. Ultimatebob maximum MSRP for a new video card is $420.69. Why that price? Because:

1) I'm thrifty. Maybe even cheap!
2) I've read too many Elon Musk news stories, and now that silly price is stuck in my brain :)
3) I'm still convinced that mid-range GPU's will drop into that price range once Ethereum mining is thing of the past.

But, seriously, I'm not paying a penny more than that!
Bought a eVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 at a Flea-Market for $200 August 2019, at that time already a 2 year old tech. Guy was closing his computer repair business.
It was a nice upgrade to my XFX R9 290X crossfire (used - $185 April 2015 and $125 - Dec 2016) which still with my i7-3930K; 32GB Sept. 2012 built.

20190804_105933.jpg

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Bought a eVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 at a Flea-Market for $200 August 2019, at that time already a 2 year old tech. Guy was closing his computer repair business.
It was a nice upgrade to my XFX R9 290X crossfire (used - $185 April 2015 and $125 - Dec 2016) which still with my i7-3930K; 32GB Sept. 2012 built.

View attachment 60086

- That is an absolutely killer deal. I thought I did OK with my $330 980Ti in 2016, but that absolutely puts it to shame.

Thing is, I basically won't be happy until I'm able to replicate my prior success to some extent.

Seeing people in here talking about what a good deal $1200 & $1500 graphics cards are is making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Elon, is that you?

I don't know... I guess that it's my way of sending the eBay scalpers a message, like "You must think I'm high if I'm going to pay that much for a used graphics card!"

And, YES, I'm actually serious about doing this. Here's another one I got "outbid" on :)

1650048888808.png

The secret is to set your max bid to $415.69, because eBay requires the person bidding against you to bid $5 higher. I'm hopeful that when the GPU shortage ends, this will actually be a winning bid!

For now, though, these usually sell in the $650 to $700 range, with the $700 models usually being the non-LHR ones.

Feb 4, 2009
I don't know... I guess that it's my way of sending the eBay scalpers a message, like "You must think I'm high if I'm going to pay that much for a used graphics card!"

And, YES, I'm actually serious about doing this. Here's another one I got "outbid" on :)

View attachment 60102

The secret is to set your max bid to $415.69, because eBay requires the person bidding against you to bid $5 higher. I'm hopeful that when the GPU shortage ends, this will actually be a winning bid!

For now, though, these usually sell in the $650 to $700 range, with the $700 models usually being the non-LHR ones.

I respect how you are incorporating 420 & SIXTY NINE
Let's Hear It!!!

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
POS got delayed again. Shocker. /s

Prices have come down in the last 40 days but at this point you're better off waiting for the rtx4k series.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Prices have come down in the last 40 days but at this point you're better off waiting for the rtx4k series.
In theory, anyway. But who knows about the future availability of the RTX 4000 series.

Reactions: A///

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Maybe there will be a PoW coin that will become in demand? Isn't that basically how Ethereum got popular?
For any mineable coin to be worthy of its price it has to have a fundamental value.

ERGO, for example, doesn't. Lisk for example - doesn't. Dogecoin for example - doesn't, and its not mineable on GPUs.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
In theory, anyway. But who knows about the future availability of the RTX 4000 series.
That's what's curious. NVidia stated a while back they'll keep producing RTX 3000 series cards after the RTX 4000 series launches, but didn't go into depth as to which GPU die will be produced. And even then, I don't recall them stating whether it'll continue at Samsung or TSMC on an older node.

I'm not sure if they could launch a 3000 Super series now after their useless Ti models, but would they for money? You can bet they will.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Maybe there will be a PoW coin that will become in demand? Isn't that basically how Ethereum got popular?
No, Ethereum was an innovation over Bitcoin. Bitcoin is 'just' a decentralized ledger where changes to the ledger are approved by miners.

Ethereum added a standardized way to negotiate and store contracts, which is why things like NFTs and crypto game assets are typically stored on the Ethereum network or a network using the Ethereum technology. In general, Ethereum is way more interesting due to its ability to be more than just a decentralized currency, as it can also support things like decentralized ownership of digital assets (which can in turn be linked to real assets, so you could decentralize all kinds of markets).

These two innovative and old crypto coins are way more desirable (and thus more expensive & traded much more) than more recent coins, even those that innovated with things like Proof of Stake. So this idea that people can just make a new coin and it will be in high demand is inconsistent with what happened so far and is likely to happen in the future. Even a big company like Facebook completely failed when they tried to introduce a new crypto coin.

The only reason why a new PoW coin would become popular is if there are many people who really prefer Proof of Work, but who would that be other than miners? They won't be able to afford mining long if they can only sell the coins to other miners, as mining will then always be something that costs miners money, as the only way for them to make money as a group is for non-miners to buy these coins.

Or if there is some amazingly innovative coin that people want to have and thereby manages to gain the trust of so many people that it is seen as an investable coin by more than just a fringe, which so far is only true for Bitcoin and Ethereum.

So unless Proof of Stake Ethereum is a disaster that causes people to lose trust and to prefer a Proof of Work offshoot of the current network (basically, taking the transaction history of the old network, but not trusting transactions approved by the Stakers, but only by miners on the offshoot network), I just see the GPU mining market sinking like a certain ship of war. Of the two popular coins, one will be mined on ASICs and the other will the PoS.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
That's what's curious. NVidia stated a while back they'll keep producing RTX 3000 series cards after the RTX 4000 series launches, but didn't go into depth as to which GPU die will be produced. And even then, I don't recall them stating whether it'll continue at Samsung or TSMC on an older node.

I'm not sure if they could launch a 3000 Super series now after their useless Ti models, but would they for money? You can bet they will.
They didn't say that they would, but that they might.

Their stated reason is pretty much the same as for why they reintroduced the 2060 and 1050 Ti, so it makes sense for it to be the 3060. Also because it would be expensive to make the larger dies, so a 3070 is much harder to fit into the lineup without being more expensive than a faster 4060.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Most of the next gen cryptocurrencies like Solana are now Proof Of Stake. A think that the crypto bros are sick of being called "Planet incinerating Ponzi Grifters", and are trying to greenwash their new products.

So, yeah, I don't think that GPU mining is going to have a third resurgence after Ethereum migrates off of it. AMD and Nvidia will have to come up with a new excuse to jack up their prices :)