Are they any decent "free" web/html/wysiwyg editors?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I haven't done a website in ages. Probably since before CSS was invented. I honestly don't want to go down that old school road of notepad + figuring out what the hell I'm doing for a website these days.

I think the last "product" I used was Dreamweaver. I doubt I still have a copy of it, and if I do it's probably as dated as my HTML knowledge.

So I'm wondering what people use to build web pages these days, preferably in the wysiwyg variety, preferably with some modicum of niceties like CSS and whatnot, but preferably with the price tag of free or cheap. Because, well, I'm not looking to do a full fledged web presence or something. Just a few pages.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Sunny, did you try kompozer? Thoughts/first impressions if you have?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Are you wanting a HTML editor to "manually" make webpages? If so, I use MS Expression web.

HOWEVER, when your goal is to make sharp, professional web sites, rather than (unnecessarily!) having to learn HTML etc....absolutely nothing beats Wordpress. (Mind you, self-hosted wordpress sites from wordpress.org..although Wordpress also offers an online builder where they host the sites on wordpress.COM, this is also not bad if you don't want to self-host)

Forget webs, lycos, weebly etc...this is kindergarten crap. It looks unprofessional, lacks features like scheduling etc..it's just bad.

Today there is no reason having to learn HTML or messing with a HTML editor for manually making websites since you can make EVERYTHING with wordpress, it's free, there are countless themes and plugins...it's by far the best way to make a site whether you want to make a "blog" or commercial site, landing page or whatever. That being said, as a web developer it certainly helps if you CAN code HTML or if you want to tweak CSS/HTML..then use MS Expression web...but its really not essential. In the time you would use MS Expression web to code some half-ass page "manually" I would make you an entire site with Wordpress, some clicks to add a contact page, "about me", front page etc. WITHIN MINUTES. It's well worth learning it.

Last edited: