Question Are these temps safe?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I was hoping to replace my current PC with a new one, but that may not happen. So I've been looking to upgrade my current system for as little as possible. Here are the specs from my 2009 PC:

i7-920 @2.66GHz with Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler
6GB DDR3-1333 (3x2GB)
MSI x58 Pro
GTX 1060 6GB
120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Boot drive)
WD 1TB HDD for Photos
WD 750GB HDD for Games

I have a lead on some additional RAM and decided to try overclocking this system. I used a hardware monitor to see what my system was doing under certain tasks like playing games, browsing the internet, editing photos, etc. I noticed that my northbridge temp on my motherboard was quite high, 86C while gaming, and my CPU was at 61C. After some research it seems that the northbridge temp was an issue on this particular mobo. The consensus was to remove the stock heatsink and clean the stock thermal pad, add some new thermal paste and reinstall the heatsink. Temps should go down 20-30C. I wasn't quite that lucky, but my temps dropped to 71C playing games. I then tried overclocking. I was able to get my i7-920 to 3.8GHz at 1.16V and decided to stop there. The northbridge temp was now 79C and CPU was 72C while gaming. I know these temps are under the rated max, but are these temps safe? I don't know how much longer I'll use this system before building another one, but the performance increase after overclocking is pretty noticeable while playing games.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
^ CPU temps are fine, but you may want to get a cheap Xeon upgrade for your CPU, as I mentioned in your other thread. Something like an X5660 6 core for your board will likely OC to 4.2GHz+, AND run cooler with the 32nm process. Check to make sure it is supported in your board, may need a bios update.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Your CPU temps are perfectly OK/safe, though the northbridge could use a better cooling.

Thanks, I might redo the thermal paste application again and see if helps.

^ CPU temps are fine, but you may want to get a cheap Xeon upgrade for your CPU, as I mentioned in your other thread. Something like an X5660 6 core for your board will likely OC to 4.2GHz+, AND run cooler with the 32nm process. Check to make sure it is supported in your board, may need a bios update.
I did some digging and found this which only shows the W3520 as a compatible Xeon although someone commented about 2 others working.

Is there somewhere else to check?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@aigomorla , @Burpo , care to offer some assistance finding a newer 6-core X58-platform CPU for OP? Thanks.

OP, I've tagged this thread, and hopefully the notable experts (have I left anyone out) on X58-platform should hopefully show up and offer some advice. They are experts on upgrading to 32nm 6-core Xeon CPUs on X58 boards. (I've never owned an X58 board myself, so I can only offer limited expertise, of what I've read on here.)

Reactions: Burpo

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
OP stated they might be upgrading soon...

Props for sticking with the legacy chipset though. Those 920 chips always run hot on air... don't have a lot of experience with that particular board.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i do not recommend these to you guys at all anymore unless:

1. its something "FUN" you want.
2. science experiment for kids.
3. overclocking learning experiment for kids.

Even then unless you have the parts in a closet, i still would not suggest these to you.

Reason is, you will end up paying for it hardcore because of the x58 motherboard.

Your much better off going up 1 or 2 to x79 or x99.
Finding a Chinese 3rd party board maker like this:

This way you get:

1. A more efficient CPU.
You can take it to the tip of its iceberg haswell.

2. nVME!

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Yes, temps are safe, but do yourself a favor and add more cores/threads with a 32nm Westmere EP hex core. They're 95 watt instead of 130 & are cheap enough now, and although that board has a small Northbridge heatsink, it will still overclock well.

The Westmere EP Xeons are more efficient (EP= Efficient Performance) and will drop right in, no bios update needed. Spend $8 and a bit of your time to unleash 50% more processing power ;)

There's some setting screenshots of a similar Xeon & board, in this thread that will help :)

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes, temps are safe, but do yourself a favor and add more cores/threads with a 32nm Westmere EP hex core. They're cheap enough now, and although that board has a small Northbridge heatsink, it will still overclock well.

The Westmere EP Xeons are more efficient (EP= Efficient Performance) and will drop right in, no bios update needed. Spend $8 and a bit of your time to unleash 50% more processing power ;)

And if you also want for speed, for about $20-30 get x5675's

Reactions: Burpo

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone. A couple of updates.

1. I checked the thermal paste application and it appeared to have coverage over the entire chip. So doesn't appear that thermal paste was the issue anymore. I will look into a cooler for it.

2. A very nice member here sent me a 24GB RAM kit! My old 6GB kit has been replaced!

3. I'll think about the Xeon upgrade and keep my eye out for a deal on one.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Definitely replace the stock cooler with a Hyper 212 clone - should be doable for $15 and will drop the temps substantially.
The Hyper 212 is a CPU cooler, correct? I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight already. Don't know if the temps on the CPU would go down much more with a 212.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, though I suppose its possible there could be something wrong with your Xigmatek, though probably not. In which case it would likely have similar performance to the 212.

Again, getting a 32nm hexcore Xeon is the best option for a few $ dozen, and will run cooler than the current chip at the same time. Should work fine with the Xigmatek.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
The Hyper 212 is a CPU cooler, correct? I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight already. Don't know if the temps on the CPU would go down much more with a 212.

I wasn't a big fan of the Xigmatek DK I have on my 2500k system but I doubt you'd get much improvement going to a 212 type cooler. It has been awhile since I checked temps on that system as it mostly sits unused. I'm pretty sure I swapped out its fan fairly quickly though for a noctua.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Ahh, my bad - I thought you were using a stock cooler. Definitely pass then on the 212 as it'll be just a wash with the Xig, more or less.