Are these stamps still good?

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
My roommate told me today that any first class stamps without a value on them will always be good for first class posted. I also saw on the news that you can buy "forever stamps" or something to that effect for 41c that will always be good for first class postage. Can anyone confirm?

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: DayLaPaul
My roommate told me today that any first class stamps without a value on them will always be good for first class posted. I also saw on the news that you can buy "forever stamps" or something to that effect for 41c that will always be good for first class postage. Can anyone confirm?

1. Your roomate doesn't know crap.

2. The forever stamp thing is real, it just came out.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: DVK916

and you are ALWAYS right!

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: potoba
Originally posted by: DVK916

and you are ALWAYS right!

In this case I am, you can even check wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-denominated_postage
The United States has issued non-denominated postage but to date it has differed from other countries' issues in that the stamps retain their original monetary value.

If it cost 41 cents to mail a postage, a stamp valued at 39 cents won't work.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
I have used 2002 flag stamps several times after the 2006 rate increase with no problems.

Probably due to postal worker practices rather than USPS policy though.

YMMV

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
the value of each of your stamps is 39 cents. so if you're gonna send out an envelope first-class (like a bill payment), just be sure to add a 2 cent stamp along with it.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I have used 2002 flag stamps several times after the 2006 rate increase with no problems.
Maybe you didn't, but are you sure the recipients didn't get a postage due letter?

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
Maybe you didn't, but are you sure the recipients didn't get a postage due letter?

The fact that the USPS would actually spend money (man power and resources to write and print the letter, plus 41 cents to mail it) to recover 3 cents is very very funny.

I swear the USPS is ran by rejected DMV employment applicants.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentJean

The fact that the USPS would actually spend money (man power and resources to write and print the letter, plus 41 cents to mail it) to recover 3 cents is very very funny.

It's not a lot of effort, the leave a tag in your box to pick it up at the post offce. There you will have to pay the difference in postage.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
There's such a thing as a postage due invoice?

That's more silly than IRS opening a tax audit file for $5 in overdue taxes.
Me gots to love the bureaucracy.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Parasitic

So if you had a business and you raised prices, would you let all of your customers pay at the old rates for as long as they wanted?

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard

So if you had a business and you raised prices, would you let all of your customers pay at the old rates for as long as they wanted?

That's not what I was saying.
I was just wondering if such a thing really existed.

Of course if it were up to me I'd just return the letters undelivered stamped "insufficient postage".

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Call the post office and ask. Most likely not, but you may be able to sneak them by, but why take the risk. Those stamps are like what, .32 or .39? Just add the extra postage and don't worry about it.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: AgentJean

What are you smoking? No one said anything about "The fact that the USPS would actually spend money (man power and resources to write and print the letter, plus 41 cents to mail it) to recover 3 cents is very very funny." The USPS would never do this. Rather, one of those little post-its they carry would be left at the recipient address indicating a postage due mail is at the post office, or the mailman would knock and ask at the time of delivery - they've done that to me, but a long time ago.

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
Dang! I mailed out a letter with that exact stamp on it last week. I have no idea if it got to the recipient.

Suppose I could call and find out.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: skrilla
Dang! I mailed out a letter with that exact stamp on it last week. I have no idea if it got to the recipient.

Suppose I could call and find out.
last week is fine. the rate increase started yesterday.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Well it's what you owed. If everyone short-changed then it would amount to tons of lost revenue...and actually why they do random audits.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003

Yes I'm sure on at least one occasion there was no postage due letter.