Question Are these speed results good for a new 10gb network?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Just got a TP-Link AXE-300. Both ends are Marvell AQC107 based ethernet adapters. Very short cat7 cable runs between the server, router, and client.

Are these speeds good/fair/poor/acceptable?

Screenshot 2023-03-18 145355.png

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, the overhead on 1gbps is 40mbps. Theoretically you should be able to eek out 9.6gbps. How often will you actually max out the link between them?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I think it also depends on what CPUs and drives are on both ends.

==

Review by Dong

TP-Link-AXE300-Mult-Gig-Performance.png

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
So I saw a video on iperf3 and it was suggested that if your router has a multicore processor you should run that number of streams. My router has a quad core processor so I added -P 4 at the end of the command and got a sum of around 9.5Gbits

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Not many systems can push a gigabyte per second through the network. What storage system do you have on both end?

The test was between my XPS 17 laptop and my main system/server. Both have 2TB 970 evo pluses.

My gaming system doubles as the house server. It has 2 2 TB Evo Pluses and 2 WD Gold 10TB HDDs for media server duty and storage.

I store full size 4K movies/shows for Plex in my home theater/Shield Pro (that is fed by a gigabit port to a gigabit switch in the theater). Yeah, I know 10GBis overkill for my storage drives and Shield but I want to have head room for other things to be going on at the same time. Soon I'll be upgrading to 5Gbit/5Gbit fiber so I was upgrading my network and went 10G over 2.5G because, well, it's awesome!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The test was between my XPS 17 laptop and my main system/server. Both have 2TB 970 evo pluses.

My gaming system doubles as the house server. It has 2 2 TB Evo Pluses and 2 WD Gold 10TB HDDs for media server duty and storage.

I store full size 4K movies/shows for Plex in my home theater/Shield Pro (that is fed by a gigabit port to a gigabit switch in the theater). Yeah, I know 10GBis overkill for my storage drives and Shield but I want to have head room for other things to be going on at the same time. Soon I'll be upgrading to 5Gbit/5Gbit fiber so I was upgrading my network and went 10G over 2.5G because, well, it's awesome!

I would have expected a 19" rack with trays of SSD DAS connected to a server through InfiniBand lol.
I am not all that concerned about transfer speed. I am A-OK with gigabit since most of my transfers are done within the server so I just move files and disconnect from RDP.

my server is ancient but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Max bitrate for a UHD BRD is 144mbps so 10gbps is way overkill.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I would have expected a 19" rack with trays of SSD DAS connected to a server through InfiniBand lol.
I am not all that concerned about transfer speed. I am A-OK with gigabit since most of my transfers are done within the server so I just move files and disconnect from RDP.

my server is ancient but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Max bitrate for a UHD BRD is 144mbps so 10gbps is way overkill.

Well, like I said I'm upgrading to 5Gbit fiber so I needed a network that could take advantage of that.

After that it just was fun seeing what it could do. :)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
5Gbit/5Gbit fiber so I was upgrading my network and went 10G over 2.5G because, well, it's awesome!
I simply size my network based on the storage speed.

I have a Raid 10 running and the disks hit ~450MB/s which is more than a 2.5 but less than a 5gbps threshold.

Sure, 10GE would cover things but, the expense for that on a laptop is a bit high as you need a TB 10GE dongle and those run about $300 where a 5GE dongle is only $70. I threw a quad port 5GE NIC into the server for $200 and bonded 2 ports to the ISP for redundancy and use the other 2 for AP / misc and the on board 2.5 as a spare.

The real question here is why you need 5GE ISP/WAN speeds. If it's just to have it, that's one thing but, it's a pricey upgrade for surfing the web and having a high sped test number. It does make quick work though of downloads for media. I used to have gig and found though that most hosts didn't even come close to providing enough bandwidth to utilize the full potential and typically only hit ~500-600mbps. On the rare occasion software update servers would be able to push data at line speed. In the end I switched to 5G FWA and cut the bill in half. Sure, it's a bit slower but, it works fine.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well, like I said I'm upgrading to 5Gbit fiber so I needed a network that could take advantage of that.

After that it just was fun seeing what it could do. :)

Just because your internet service is 5gbps doesn't mean the other end you are connecting is going to push that much. Other than popular torrent of course.

Reactions: Tech Junky

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Just because your internet service is 5gbps doesn't mean the other end you are connecting is going to push that much. Other than popular torrent of course.

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that kind of usage but yeah... that. Lot's of that.

I have 1Gbit down/40Mbit up currently, and it's often maxed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that kind of usage but yeah... that. Lot's of that.

I have 1Gbit down/40Mbit up currently, and it's often maxed.

I am not in that kind of hurry. I am fine with 270/20

Pretty sure every download service from every big company is now torrent based.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I am more interested in higher upload speed for serving up Plex.

Yep, which is why I'll be switching to symmetrical fiber as soon as they get it in my building. This asymmetrical cable is very reliable and always gives the speeds it advertises, but the low upload speed just sucks.

Reactions: bigboxes