Question Are these junk??

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
https://www.newegg.ca/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-rx-5700-challenger-d-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930021

It's about $334 USD all-in with shipping and taxes. I just sold my 1070 (for $285 CDN) in anticipation of the new cards releasing, but all I really need is to increase my lows in DCS from 37 to over 45. This card is pretty tempting at that price (if it comes in stock again). What concerns me is AMD's drivers (I use multi-monitor for my Cougar MFD's in DCS), the 2-8pin power requirement of this card, and the reviews I've seen for ASRock cards...not good. Anyone have any experience with this one?

I'd maybe look at this card, but it's $132 CDN more:

https://www.newegg.ca/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416p8gl/p/N82E16814202349?Item=N82E16814202349

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
As far as drivers go, they are pretty solid now. A year ago when Navi first came out, there was some issues. But mine has been fine, and that includes multi-monitor usage.

I think you would be better off waiting until at least after the 1st, to see if Navi prices go down after nVidia announces their new cards.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The Asrock challengers aren't the best cooled, but they can be fine if you reseat the TIM.

Reactions: killster1

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I've had a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT for a few months now. I use it with two monitors, and it has yet to give me any problems, I'm quite happy with it.

That ASRock Challenger model is a non-XT chip, meaning it has fewer stream processors (2304 vs 2560) and a lower locked max clock speed. And reviewers like Hardware Unboxed found the Challenger's heat sink to not be as well engineered as the Pulse, meaning it either has to run the fans louder or let the chip run hotter, which can use more power and shorten the card's usable lifespan. So the Pulse both has more raw performance and better build quality than the Challenger. Still, for $132 less, the Challenger may be a better deal, if you're willing to put up with the higher temps or noise.

Reactions: Fardringle

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I think I'll wait, that's the smart play. Those ASRock cards don't seem worth the hassle. It's only a week away but I'm impatient, which is odd for me :confused: I may take a chance on the Sapphire card if the price drops low enough.

$550 for 'old' tech with new stuff on the horizon seems like way too much. The last 8 reviews for that Sapphire card have been very mixed too. Half 5 stars and it's the greatest card ever, half it's total junk and AMD hasn't fixed their drivers yet. I know it's the drivers and not the card, but I don't want to deal with issues if I can avoid it.

MSI is really trying to get rid of the 2070 too...price dropped again today: https://www.newegg.ca/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-rtx-2070-ventus-gp/p/N82E16814137504?Item=N82E16814137504

A lot of the sale cards are going out of stock (unless that's a made up thing by Newegg to drive sales to other cards), which I don't really understand. Am I the only one thinking the deals just aren't good enough yet? I mean the 2070 Super price has barely budged.

It would be nice to know what the 3070/3060 (and whatever AMD will have in that performance range) will cost. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I've had a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT for a few months now. I use it with two monitors, and it has yet to give me any problems, I'm quite happy with it.

Did you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to install the drivers (DDU, lowering voltage, etc)? Did you have an AMD card before this one? I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but I'm maybe just getting lazy and like the plug-and-play of Nvidia cards. I just dropped in my old 1060 3GB card when I sold my 1070 and didn't even have to reinstall drivers. I also haven't owned an AMD/ATI card since my X1600 Pro.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Did you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to install the drivers (DDU, lowering voltage, etc)? Did you have an AMD card before this one? I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but I'm maybe just getting lazy and like the plug-and-play of Nvidia cards. I just dropped in my old 1060 3GB card when I sold my 1070 and didn't even have to reinstall drivers. I also haven't owned an AMD/ATI card since my X1600 Pro.

I didn't have to jump through any hoops, no. I basically built a new system which included the 5700 XT. I'm a longtime AMD user though, used a Radeon R9 290X for like 5 years, before that had a Radeon HD 7870, and before that was a Radeon HD 5770. I haven't used Nvidia since owning a 9800 GT. I've also set a couple family members up with RX 580s and a R7 260X.

So I'm pretty familiar with the AMD ecosystem. It's never given me a problems. I've never messed around with voltages on the cards, the most I've done has been one-click overclocking and upping the power limit (not the same as voltage) using the standard Radeon software to try to squeeze a few extra frames out. Driver installation has never had issues that I can remember, though when swapping cards around it's never been quite as simple as just taking one card out and putting another in without having to reinstall the drivers. If you're switching to AMD from Nvidia, using DDU to clean out everything Nvidia related first is probably advisable in any case.

If you're in the market for an upgrade though, right now the standard advice is to wait a little bit until Nvidia releases its next gen Ampere cards and AMD releases RDNA 2, which are right around the corner. To see what they bring to the table, how they effect prices, etc. Just worth considering.

Reactions: blckgrffn

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I didn't have to jump through any hoops, no. I basically built a new system which included the 5700 XT. I'm a longtime AMD user though, used a Radeon R9 290X for like 5 years, before that had a Radeon HD 7870, and before that was a Radeon HD 5770. I haven't used Nvidia since owning a 9800 GT. I've also set a couple family members up with RX 580s and a R7 260X.

So I'm pretty familiar with the AMD ecosystem. It's never given me a problems. I've never messed around with voltages on the cards, the most I've done has been one-click overclocking and upping the power limit (not the same as voltage) using the standard Radeon software to try to squeeze a few extra frames out. Driver installation has never had issues that I can remember, though when swapping cards around it's never been quite as simple as just taking one card out and putting another in without having to reinstall the drivers. If you're switching to AMD from Nvidia, using DDU to clean out everything Nvidia related first is probably advisable in any case.

If you're in the market for an upgrade though, right now the standard advice is to wait a little bit until Nvidia releases its next gen Ampere cards and AMD releases RDNA 2, which are right around the corner. To see what they bring to the table, how they effect prices, etc. Just worth considering.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am for sure going to wait (hopefully until November), I just want to be prepared in case the prices (and power requirements) are really outrageous and I see a good deal on a 5700XT (or 2070 Super, although that seems unlikely).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I didn't have to jump through any hoops, no. I basically built a new system which included the 5700 XT. I'm a longtime AMD user though, used a Radeon R9 290X for like 5 years, before that had a Radeon HD 7870, and before that was a Radeon HD 5770.

This was my path too. Pouring one out for my MSI 290x, it was a great card for so darn long... still powering my back up/cycling simulation rig with zero issues besides generating a ton of heat for the (now) relatively modest performnace.

I had a *lot* of issues with my 5700xt which were solved by two things - 1) drivers got a lot more mature around the start of 2020 (something that got better into 2020! make a list!) and 2) RMA'ing my first Powercolor 5700xt because the memory died (green checkerboarding). Since then it has been rock solid and bang for the buck has been really good.

I bought my 5700xt in November 2019 for $360 on eBay from Dell.
I feel like I timed that OK - spending anything near that for an RDNA v1 card now seems ill-advised.

I plan on moving my 5700xt into my sons PC and getting the same caliber of RDNA 2 card when the launch - hoping for less than $400 again. Given the critical lack of full DX 12 Ultimate support on RDNA v1 cards I feel like they are going to drop in value quite substantially once an alternative is available.

GL OP :)

Reactions: Red Hawk

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
This was my path too. Pouring one out for my MSI 290x, it was a great card for so darn long... still powering my back up/cycling simulation rig with zero issues besides generating a ton of heat for the (now) relatively modest performnace.

I had a *lot* of issues with my 5700xt which were solved by two things - 1) drivers got a lot more mature around the start of 2020 (something that got better into 2020! make a list!) and 2) RMA'ing my first Powercolor 5700xt because the memory died (green checkerboarding). Since then it has been rock solid and bang for the buck has been really good.

I bought my 5700xt in November 2019 for $360 on eBay from Dell.
I feel like I timed that OK - spending anything near that for an RDNA v1 card now seems ill-advised.

I plan on moving my 5700xt into my sons PC and getting the same caliber of RDNA 2 card when the launch - hoping for less than $400 again. Given the critical lack of full DX 12 Ultimate support on RDNA v1 cards I feel like they are going to drop in value quite substantially once an alternative is available.

GL OP :)

Maybe this is a dumb question, but will the RDNA 2 cards use the same 'fixed' drivers, or are we in for another sh*tshow from square one? Also, will that screw up the older RDNA v1 cards? I don't follow driver tech that closely...I just assume that the Nvidia drivers I've been downloading for over a decade now are the same for every desktop card still in use?

You spent about $495 CDN for your card, so yah, spending $550 now does seem pretty stupid. I'd say $450 or lower would be the price I may be tempted at. As I said, I don't play much for FPS games (other than a bit of Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm), and getting mins of 45+ FPS at 1440p in DCS World would tickle me :astonished:.

On DX 12, again, I don't follow it that closely, but it doesn't matter what game I try to enable it in, it doesn't work. I thought it may be some issue with my 1070, but the same applies for my old 1060 and my son's 1660 Super...the game will either crash with DX12 enabled, or stutter/pause so hard it's unplayable (The Div 2). Nothing changed either when I went from my i5 4670k to the 3600. I don't play the EA games (BF V, Battlefront 2, etc) but rather use them for testing sometimes, and DX 12 is a no-go in all of them too. Is this a Win 10 bug or hardware/driver related?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Maybe this is a dumb question, but will the RDNA 2 cards use the same 'fixed' drivers, or are we in for another sh*tshow from square one? Also, will that screw up the older RDNA v1 cards? I don't follow driver tech that closely...I just assume that the Nvidia drivers I've been downloading for over a decade now are the same for every desktop card still in use?

You spent about $495 CDN for your card, so yah, spending $550 now does seem pretty stupid. I'd say $450 or lower would be the price I may be tempted at. As I said, I don't play much for FPS games (other than a bit of Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm), and getting mins of 45+ FPS at 1440p in DCS World would tickle me :astonished:.

On DX 12, again, I don't follow it that closely, but it doesn't matter what game I try to enable it in, it doesn't work. I thought it may be some issue with my 1070, but the same applies for my old 1060 and my son's 1660 Super...the game will either crash with DX12 enabled, or stutter/pause so hard it's unplayable (The Div 2). Nothing changed either when I went from my i5 4670k to the 3600. I don't play the EA games (BF V, Battlefront 2, etc) but rather use them for testing sometimes, and DX 12 is a no-go in all of them too. Is this a Win 10 bug or hardware/driver related?

There's no "guarantee" that the RDNA 2 launch will be any smoother than RDNA 1. All I can say is that I've never had any issues with AMD graphics cards. I've seen tech Youtubers like GamersNexus and Jayztwocents talk about the problems they had with the drivers, but then there's Hardware Unboxed who say that they didn't have any issues with RDNA.

Bear in mind there's no guarantee for Nvidia, either. The launch of the RTX 2000 series was not smooth. There was a significant amount of reported hardware failures, and GamersNexus reported about that too.

Regarding DX12, I don't play The Division 2 so I can't really say if that's a driver or software issue. I have played Battlefront 2 though, and that game does run a lot worse for me in DX12 than DX11 (and the whole point of DX12 up until now has been that it's supposed to reduce overhead and run better than DX11). Checking online it seems like does seem like it's a software issue where the DX12 renderer for Battlefront 2 got borked by an update at some point, and the devs don't care enough to fix it. I've played other DX 12 games that run great though, like Deus Ex Mankind Divided and the recent Tomb Raider and Gears of War games, so it's not some kind of Windows 10 issue. Looking to the future though, DirectX 12 is going to be used for hardware ray tracing, but RDNA 1 doesn't support that. Turing does, but supposedly in a suboptimal way and Ampere and RDNA 2 are going to be a lot better at it. If you want to use that graphic feature in upcoming games it may be good to get one of the newer cards.

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
There's no "guarantee" that the RDNA 2 launch will be any smoother than RDNA 1. All I can say is that I've never had any issues with AMD graphics cards. I've seen tech Youtubers like GamersNexus and Jayztwocents talk about the problems they had with the drivers, but then there's Hardware Unboxed who say that they didn't have any issues with RDNA.

Bear in mind there's no guarantee for Nvidia, either. The launch of the RTX 2000 series was not smooth. There was a significant amount of reported hardware failures, and GamersNexus reported about that too.

Regarding DX12, I don't play The Division 2 so I can't really say if that's a driver or software issue. I have played Battlefront 2 though, and that game does run a lot worse for me in DX12 than DX11 (and the whole point of DX12 up until now has been that it's supposed to reduce overhead and run better than DX11). Checking online it seems like does seem like it's a software issue where the DX12 renderer for Battlefront 2 got borked by an update at some point, and the devs don't care enough to fix it. I've played other DX 12 games that run great though, like Deus Ex Mankind Divided and the recent Tomb Raider and Gears of War games, so it's not some kind of Windows 10 issue. Looking to the future though, DirectX 12 is going to be used for hardware ray tracing, but RDNA 1 doesn't support that. Turing does, but supposedly in a suboptimal way and Ampere and RDNA 2 are going to be a lot better at it. If you want to use that graphic feature in upcoming games it may be good to get one of the newer cards.

Yah, I've seen all those reviews you talk about and Hardware Unboxed has several 5700XT's running without issue. I don't know how else to explain the negative Newegg and Amazon reviews for the AMD cards though. Nvidia reviews don't ever refer to drivers, and very seldom is there a negative review for any of their cards. Also, going by my own 30+ years of experience, I've never had any issues with my cards or drivers (either brand). So I just don't get it.

I just don't bother trying to select DX 12 if it's an option anymore. Even if it works, I'm assuming my performance will actually be WORSE, not better as it should be.

I've watched a few of 'Moore's Law is Dead' videos (I have no idea if he's legit or not, but it's interesting), and his speculation (maybe lots of others too) is that Ampere will disappoint (because of the 8nm Samsung) and RDNA2 will have double the performance of the 5700XT, with better efficiency. Now I have to wait and see what shakes out.

Hopefully AMD can get them out before Xmas, AND I'll actually be able to buy one. I can usually sneak in a ridiculous purchase around Xmas without the wife getting too upset ;) This year I'm going to try for a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and a video card...:eek:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My opinion?

RDNA v1 was rush job so that they could get a solid lead on the console launch with dev kits based on that technology and to live fire test the drivers for that new GPU architecture. It didn't help that Vega was an evolutionary dead end. From what I have read in the meantime, there are is a lot hardware errata on RDNA v1 cards that supports this theory to some degree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The drivers for the first three months or so were *classic* AMD with fixes for some games and regressions in others. This reminded me mightily of back in the day with my 8500 then my 9500 Pro, then just a touch of it when I was running my 7950. A new arch, new problems.

Plenty of cards had issues with firmware not implementing the zero RPM fans in a sensible way (I returned a card that didn't turn the fans on until 100C and then turned them on full blast until 50C or so - so never ramped them down.) OR failed to properly seat the heatsink to the GPU OR failed to adequately cool the memory, the list went on and on and it was never clear to me whether AMD specs were wrong, AIB partners just crapped cards out without much QC or what. Launch quality was a mess, which is one reason why I have a blower 5700xt which I am quite fine with. It generates enough heat I am happy to have it out of the case.

I expect (hope?) that this is going to be like when the iterated on the 7950 generations and realistically the drivers were pretty darn stable for several years. Like when Hawaii came out that refined how Pitcarin (pulling from memory, hope that's right) worked and just did it with wider hardware the drivers didn't die. GCN, GCN+, GCN++, GCN+++ if Intel had been naming them, haha.

I see this as RDNA+. Erratum fixed, ray tracing hardware baked in, silicon tune for efficiency and scaling. But the basic architecture and how it works with drivers staying largely intact.

ALSO, and I think this is a big deal, X Box Series X is some sort of Windows based console. Reading about how they are delivering drivers for it, it sounds like they deliver firmware and drivers all in one package but given that W10 and the Series X are going to be using software to make RDNA 2 GPUs work with DX12U we can hope that AMD is taking driving stability very seriously, a bad launch for the Series X that comes down that kind of issue could be a huge, epic, terrible disaster.

Again, that's why I think they wanted RNDA based cards in the wild for a minimum of a year to shake the software out. If I was a firmware/driver developer for AMD and watching the high stakes roll out of the Series X and the PS5 I would have serious anxiety issues :D

I use DX12 only with Borderlands 3 and it works pretty well. Rebuilding the shaders every so often is a burden, and the game has it's own bugs but I guess... I just want to see ray tracing at usable frame rates at 2k resolutions. My current favorite feature is HDR and I hope nearly all games implement this going forward. It pops! I don't think that is even DX12 dependent.

TL;DR - I feel confident that RDNA v2 cards will be largely stable when released and should be a great long term value given their shared feature set with what is likely to be 100M shipped consoles. Whatever Ampere brings to the table, if it isn't closely aligned with the consoles it may be underutilized.

So there you have it. Multiple paragraphs of opinion from someone who has definitely fought the good fight on the AMD driver front.

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you are looking for a 5700(XT) the premier choice is the Powercolor Red Devil from what I hear. Very well built, great cooler and power delivery. Probably the best Navi card out there. I am happy with mine as a hold over till next gen, when I will probably put it in another PC. Only thing is it is one of the the longest cards I have had, at 300mm. For comparison, my Aourus Xtreme 1080Ti which I am looking to sell is 290mm, and the Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 is 272m. Older cards I had like the Fury Nitro and 290 Tri X are 305mm and 307mm.

Only thing about the Red Devil is that the Powercolor software is supposedly not as good as Sapphire Trixx, and can be problematic so I hear. This is relevant if RGB control is important, and note Trixx can also be used to OC/tune card settings.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
If you are looking for a 5700(XT) the premier choice is the Powercolor Red Devil from what I hear. Very well built, great cooler and power delivery. Probably the best Navi card out there. I am happy with mine as a hold over till next gen, when I will probably put it in another PC. Only thing is it is one of the the longest cards I have had, at 300mm. For comparison, my Aourus Xtreme 1080Ti which I am looking to sell is 290mm, and the Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 is 272m. Older cards I had like the Fury Nitro and 290 Tri X are 305mm and 307mm.

Only thing about the Red Devil is that the Powercolor software is supposedly not as good as Sapphire Trixx, and can be problematic so I hear. This is relevant if RGB control is important, and note Trixx can also be used to OC/tune card settings.

That one I believe was neck and neck with the Sapphire card when Hardware Unboxed did their reviews. Has about the same 50/50 good and bad reviews on Newegg: https://www.newegg.ca/powercolor-ra...dhe-oc/p/N82E16814131752?Item=N82E16814131752

Does it really require a minimum 700w power supply? I'd be happy now too if I had a 5700XT or 2070, but I'm now on a 3GB 1060, so the newer ones will be a huge upgrade.

The price too is at least $125 more than I'm willing to pay for 'old' tech at this juncture though. I've read (likely pure speculation) that the 3060 will be equivalent in performance to the 2080 Super for about $400, so I think that's what I'm aiming for. I hope I can be patient enough to wait on AMD however...

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
That one I believe was neck and neck with the Sapphire card when Hardware Unboxed did their reviews. Has about the same 50/50 good and bad reviews on Newegg: https://www.newegg.ca/powercolor-ra...dhe-oc/p/N82E16814131752?Item=N82E16814131752

Does it really require a minimum 700w power supply? I'd be happy now too if I had a 5700XT or 2070, but I'm now on a 3GB 1060, so the newer ones will be a huge upgrade.

The price too is at least $125 more than I'm willing to pay for 'old' tech at this juncture though. I've read (likely pure speculation) that the 3060 will be equivalent in performance to the 2080 Super for about $400, so I think that's what I'm aiming for. I hope I can be patient enough to wait on AMD however...
Heads up, I bought my Red Devil 5700XT on Amazon, was much cheaper, about $125 so. That Newegg link is to a 3rd party seller who is overcharging.

As for the PSU, you don't need a 700W, that is a general figure, but it has to do with how not all PSUs are equal even if rated at a given power output. Depending on the rest of the system, a good 550-650W PSU should be fine, you might even be ok with less depending if it's really good quality and the rest of your system doesn't draw too much power. The card itself should draw only about 220W with the performance BIOS when at load. Most CPUs don't draw near that much, and most basic systems with maybe a few fans, 1 HDD and an SSD are not going to be adding much more power consumption.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Heads up, I bought my Red Devil 5700XT on Amazon, was much cheaper, about $125 so. That Newegg link is to a 3rd party seller who is overcharging.

As for the PSU, you don't need a 700W, that is a general figure, but it has to do with how not all PSUs are equal even if rated at a given power output. Depending on the rest of the system, a good 550-650W PSU should be fine, you might even be ok with less depending if it's really good quality and the rest of your system doesn't draw too much power. The card itself should draw only about 220W with the performance BIOS when at load. Most CPUs don't draw near that much, and most basic systems with maybe a few fans, 1 HDD and an SSD are not going to be adding much more power consumption.

Says 'Sold By: Newegg'. It looks like it is coming from the US Newegg. I already checked Amazon (I have a few in my wishlist). It's the same price on there, but they also charge PST, which will cost me $34 more than the Newegg price (which only charges GST). Yah, I thought that 700W seems kind of high. Most reviews I see don't even have total system power draw over 500W, even with a 2080ti.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ah haha I missed that that was CAD, not USD. Must be with the newegg.ca.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
.the game will either crash with DX12 enabled, or stutter/pause so hard it's unplayable (The Div 2).

I have heard of many people having problems with Div1 and especially Div2 with Nvidia cards in DX12. You might try running the game in DX11. I've played them mostly in DX11 on Win7 machines and had no issues with AMD cards. Still haven't tried it in Win10 with DX12 or DX11 on Nvidia yet.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I have heard of many people having problems with Div1 and especially Div2 with Nvidia cards in DX12. You might try running the game in DX11. I've played them mostly in DX11 on Win7 machines and had no issues with AMD cards. Still haven't tried it in Win10 with DX12 or DX11 on Nvidia yet.

Thanks. I do just play it in DX11 and it runs fine. I just always think I'm missing out on some cool new features with DX 12, but as I understand it, it's just *supposed* to increase performance.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
DX12 can be hit or miss depending on developer implementation. However, the Mantle and Vulkan games I know of have all been top notch as far as optimizing performance.

Reactions: Ranulf

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I'm just floored by what's going on right now...or what 'seems' to be going on. Cards are being announced in less than a week, old cards (5700/XT, 2070/Super) are actually going UP in price, and several are selling out. Or they knock $10 off and the card sells out.

Who ARE these people that are buying cards at (often higher than) full price right now?! Also buying used cards for almost full price? Is Coronavirus infecting people's brains or something?

Maybe it's the same phenomenon we're seeing around here in lake country where people are buying new trucks, boats and campers like they've stopped making them or something...he says as he checks Kijiji every day for a new boat :flushed:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm just floored by what's going on right now...or what 'seems' to be going on. Cards are being announced in less than a week, old cards (5700/XT, 2070/Super) are actually going UP in price, and several are selling out. Or they knock $10 off and the card sells out.

Who ARE these people that are buying cards at (often higher than) full price right now?! Also buying used cards for almost full price? Is Coronavirus infecting people's brains or something?

Maybe it's the same phenomenon we're seeing around here in lake country where people are buying new trucks, boats and campers like they've stopped making them or something...he says as he checks Kijiji every day for a new boat :flushed:
Mining's making a comeback.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Could that just be Nvidia trying to hype mining to sell more cards? I don't know anything about mining, but this guy seems to think that's nonsense (15:40):

Last edited: