Question Are these good temps for my CPU?

Fleetwire

May 23, 2020
I have a i7-8700, Thermaltake UX200 ARGB cpu cooler with MX-4 thermal paste, Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, be quiet! Pure Base 500DX case, with 3 Pure Wings 140mm PWM High-Speed fans, one at the rear, two front intakes, and I left one of the stock fans (non-PWM) to run on the top.

My temps in Prime95 sit around 63-66C, after letting AIDA64 Stability Test run overnight I noticed that the CPU max temps reached 78C on some cores, but not any more above that. The CPU didn't throttle at all, always running at all cores 4.3 GHz, as it should. Every other piece of hardware performed as it should.

During gaming I have 55-65C, in GTA V as a point of reference, whereas before on the pre-built I had 72C+ in GTA V. In some games, the CPU load can be 50% yet the temps stay below 50C.

I also tried Minecraft Bedrock which liked to spike my CPU temps in the 70's when I changed render distance. I changed the render distance to the max on this build, with full antialiasing and particle render distance, and it remained between 60-65C.

I'm concerned if these temps are good or not because my cooler is sagging by about 2-3mm, however it looks like it makes contact with the IHS perfectly and the motherboard isn't bent. Are these temps okay and should I stop worrying and carry on with my new build?

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I think for an 8700 that's fine.

Though I'm curious about how your cooler could be sagging if it's making perfect contact with the IHS and the mobo isn't moving. Are you saying the cooler isn't perpendicular to the motherboard? Is the cooler itself when laid on a flat surface perpendicular to the flat surface? Seems a bit odd.

Fleetwire

May 23, 2020
I think for an 8700 that's fine.

Though I'm curious about how your cooler could be sagging if it's making perfect contact with the IHS and the mobo isn't moving. Are you saying the cooler isn't perpendicular to the motherboard? Is the cooler itself when laid on a flat surface perpendicular to the flat surface? Seems a bit odd.

I don't know what's up with it either, the mounting platform is screwed in properly and I'm using the appropriate slots for my socket. I can move the cooler up very slightly but only very slightly otherwise my motherboard starts flexing. The base plate of the cooler does not change at all if I push the cooler up. If I leave the cooler as it is now, my motherboard is perfectly straight. It's screwed in to all the standoffs, not too lose, not too tight.

Is it a problem if I leave it like this? I really don't want to go through taking it out again, reseating, wasting more thermal compound wipes and paste only to find it still sagging. My CPU temps are better than ever before it seems. Set my case fans on PCI Express heat sensor instead because my GPU needs the cooling more.

Some pics:
Base plate:

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I think you are overthinking it. The AMD backplate distributes the the weight of the cooler over a broad area of the motherboard and the pcb of a board is surprisingly strong and rigid.

Reactions: Fleetwire

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I don't know what's up with it either, the mounting platform is screwed in properly and I'm using the appropriate slots for my socket. I can move the cooler up very slightly but only very slightly otherwise my motherboard starts flexing. The base plate of the cooler does not change at all if I push the cooler up. If I leave the cooler as it is now, my motherboard is perfectly straight. It's screwed in to all the standoffs, not too lose, not too tight.

Is it a problem if I leave it like this? I really don't want to go through taking it out again, reseating, wasting more thermal compound wipes and paste only to find it still sagging. My CPU temps are better than ever before it seems. Set my case fans on PCI Express heat sensor instead because my GPU needs the cooling more.

Some pics:
Base plate:
I'd keep an eye on HWInfo while running a stress test from time to time, maybe make it part of your monthly routine. I may just be one of those "it is what it is" cases and it just works fine despite the cosmetic oddity.

Fleetwire

May 23, 2020
I'd keep an eye on HWInfo while running a stress test from time to time, maybe make it part of your monthly routine. I may just be one of those "it is what it is" cases and it just works fine despite the cosmetic oddity.
I ran a 7 hour stability test overnight and I never saw my CPU drop below 4.3 GHz in HWinfo and HWMonitor, max temp it ever reported was 78C. Apparently I looked it up and Thermaltake's mounting mechanism for this cooler isn't that great, this is supposed to happen. But it makes contact with the CPU just fine and has amazing temps so I don't see an issue. Already got used to it.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I have a i7-8700, Thermaltake UX200 ARGB cpu cooler with MX-4 thermal paste, Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, be quiet! Pure Base 500DX case, with 3 Pure Wings 140mm PWM High-Speed fans, one at the rear, two front intakes, and I left one of the stock fans (non-PWM) to run on the top.

My temps in Prime95 sit around 63-66C, after letting AIDA64 Stability Test run overnight I noticed that the CPU max temps reached 78C on some cores, but not any more above that. The CPU didn't throttle at all, always running at all cores 4.3 GHz, as it should. Every other piece of hardware performed as it should.

During gaming I have 55-65C, in GTA V as a point of reference, whereas before on the pre-built I had 72C+ in GTA V. In some games, the CPU load can be 50% yet the temps stay below 50C.

I also tried Minecraft Bedrock which liked to spike my CPU temps in the 70's when I changed render distance. I changed the render distance to the max on this build, with full antialiasing and particle render distance, and it remained between 60-65C.

I'm concerned if these temps are good or not because my cooler is sagging by about 2-3mm, however it looks like it makes contact with the IHS perfectly and the motherboard isn't bent. Are these temps okay and should I stop worrying and carry on with my new build?
Every product Thermaltake makes is a knock off of something somebody else makes but not nearly as good. Not trying to diss you so don't take it personally.