Are these cores or cache unlockalbe Phenom II X2 560 BE or Phenom II X4 840

BioSs

Oct 6, 2003
Building a cpu for my boss and budget around $300 w/BR burner, 1TB HD, 4GB rams 1GB vid ram card and 4 cores w/more then 2mb caches. Im going start on mobo and cpu first. I going pick up from MicroCenter mobo and cpu combo deal to budget around $300. Could these Phenom II X2 560 BE 4cords unlockable or Phenom II X4 840 has 6mb cache unlockable on this latest Phenom released?? Since last end of last yr mose of Phenom caches and cord unlock are slim. Is it true? I need o/cer expertise. thz

MicroCenter bumble link
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
The Phenom X4 840 does not and any on-die L3 cache (It's a rebranded Athlon X4) so there's nothing to unlock. You'd have to get either an X4 945 or try your chances with unlocking the dual-core.

Last edited:

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Early Athlon II X4 processors had a chance to unlock because they were in high demand and AMD had to disabled the L3 cache on Phenom II X4 to meet demand, newer models the odds of unlocked L3 cache are very slim if it's even possible anymore.

Phenom II X4 yields have improved over the last 2 years, so a greater number of Phenom II X2 processors are probably working X4 chips disabled to meet demand, but your still taking a big gamble as there are many failed unlocks out there to go along with all the successful unlocks.

Honestly relying on an unlock to get the performance you want/need is foolish, but it doesn't hurt unlocking a chip for extra performance. If all you need/want is a dual core, and you get a free upgrade to an X3/X4 that's cool. If you need/want a quad core, but the Phenom II X2 doesn't unlock, than your stuck with a dual core you don't want.

JFAMD

May 16, 2009
Many times the cores are turned off because there is a problem with them. Don't ever buy with the expectation that you can turn them on, you might be let down.

Buy what you need.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
My experience was 1/2 on unlocking X2 cores. I was able to get 4 cores from one, but the other did not work at all with 3 or 4 cores activated (both were done last year). I have not kept up on if more recent chips are better or worse, honestly. Like others have said, don't rely on being able to unclock. Get what you need, and appreciate the extra performance if you can get it.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
i had 2 athlon ii x3 cpu's where neither one unlocked the 4th core. 3 different mobos. i originally only wanted a dual core, but got the 3 core for the same price and figured i may as well try for another free upgrade.