Are there special install procedures for X2-based systems

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I have all my components (X2 4400+, DFI NF4 Ultra-D MB), but haven't been able to find the time to do my actual build. I'm shooting for next weekend.

Are there special drivers (or anything else) I need to be cognizant of?

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
Yes. Once you install everything and update all the drivers, BIOS, etc., go to AMD's website and download the new X2 drivers. :)

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: shira
I have all my components (X2 4400+, DFI NF4 Ultra-D MB), but haven't been able to find the time to do my actual build. I'm shooting for next weekend.

Are there special drivers (or anything else) I need to be cognizant of?

1. Make sure you have downloaded the latest bios for your mobo
2. Any driver (if they didn't include it on your mobo disk) for the X2 can be found Here

Enjoy, and remember that many of the rest here will be quite jealous (so don't gloat too much!)!

;)

Edit: Curses...beaten by a Bona Fide Poster! :)

plion

Aug 7, 2005
how important is this driver? I didn't know there was one until now? I have an x2 3800 and i see two twos in task manager do i still need the driver?

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: plion
how important is this driver? I didn't know there was one until now? I have an x2 3800 and i see two twos in task manager do i still need the driver?

What it lists is:

"Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1"

It's not necessary to run, but some errors have been reported by a few people when the play certain games. You can either adjust the affinity or use the driver. It is included in most motherboard disks now I believe...

Edit: Mark mentions in another thread...
"Actually I DID have the problem with WC3 in win2k, but winlauncher fixed it. The X2 driver only works for XP"

Are you using W2k?

plion

Aug 7, 2005
I see, btw for affinity what would be the settings I want for a game like bf2? which cpu should I use, I'm guessing both are equal?