Are there license plate covers that block cameras?

azoomee

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2002
I think so...dont they use some type of polarized film?

BUT...are you trying to do something illegal ;)?

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
theres a paint that you can spray on to reflect so much light that it turns your plate into a white blob in the photos...dunno if it really works.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
I'm not sure if they're license plate covers or something else that causes glare, but yes I read about something like this (probably on this forum).

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I have a laptop privacy screen that blocks you from viewing my screen along one axis except an almost perpendicular angle. I imagine you could use that and have it block anything elevated though I think it would make it unviewable for someone in a car behind you as well. Regardless, I have found that the cameras at traffic lights are not a problem if you just stop before it is red.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The license plate covers, if not explicitly illegal, are probably illegal in nearly every state because they make it impossible to be able to read the plate from the distance required by law.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Reel
I have found that the cameras at traffic lights are not a problem if you just stop before it is red.

A novel concept.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
MEH for all you who don't want to sneak by at lights that you arent sure of be my guest

but the last thing i want going through a foreign town is wondering if the yellow will turn over in 3 seconds or 5 and getting a ticket over it

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
They exist, and they work. A guy who works in my building has one. From directly behind his car, you can read it fine. If you go off to the side, you can't read all the plate. If you're right behind it looking down, you can't read it. Since the cameras are usually above and to the side of an intersection, it wouldn't be able to read it.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ballmode
MEH for all you who don't want to sneak by at lights that you arent sure of be my guest

but the last thing i want going through a foreign town is wondering if the yellow will turn over in 3 seconds or 5 and getting a ticket over it

In that case, just assume 5.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
They are very illegeal, and I don't know about here but in Britain their cameras are advanced enough to see through them and detect you have one so you get a double violation. The only way to get around it is to black it out enough that even a person couldn't see it, but then that would get you pulled over by the cops in a few moments.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Why dont you make a device so at the flip of a switch your plate goes up into the car and then flip it again to drop it back into view?

PinmasterJay

Jun 12, 2005
This reminds me of that Iroc Camaro guy talking about how he can get out of tickets on that radio show