Are there liberal political conspiracy theory websites?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
There are plenty of right wing websites full of Hillary conspiracy theories, always "breaking" news about how the lately scandal is going to sink her campaign. They are all completely delusional, and I'm wondering if there are similar sites with a liberal skew? I know there are some very biased liberal outlets but any that are so egregiously false?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
There are plenty of right wing websites full of Hillary conspiracy theories, always "breaking" news about how the lately scandal is going to sink her campaign. They are all completely delusional, and I'm wondering if there are similar sites with a liberal skew? I know there are some very biased liberal outlets but any that are so egregiously false?

There probably is, and I know some left-wing sites will read too much into stories. However, I'd say there are considerably fewer.

Part of it is just the nature of what the far right / alt-right looks like. Those groups love to demonize anyone who falls outside of the "norm" (non-Christians, non-whites, LGBT people, feminists), and that means clinging to elaborate theories that explain why those other demographics shouldn't get rights and respect. Some people just can't cope with a changing society very well, and have to find a mental hook to justify their resistance to that change.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There probably is, and I know some left-wing sites will read too much into stories. However, I'd say there are considerably fewer.

Part of it is just the nature of what the far right / alt-right looks like. Those groups love to demonize anyone who falls outside of the "norm" (non-Christians, non-whites, LGBT people, feminists), and that means clinging to elaborate theories that explain why those other demographics shouldn't get rights and respect. Some people just can't cope with a changing society very well, and have to find a mental hook to justify their resistance to that change.

Maybe it's a matter of having an attitude where what is theirs (or what was once theirs) is being taken away against their will by "others" that don't look, behave and talk like them. And when that "threat" is exploited for certain political advantage via overly-hyped hate and fear propaganda, well, just look at what happened when the GOP did it to their constituents. A lot of folks were presented with every mental hook conceivable whether they asked for it or not by the GOP, and it's something that Trump took off with in grand fashion.

The GOP's biggest fear is that their working class constituents would face their own concerns with open minded pragmatism rather than the close minded, irrational mindset the GOP has imbued them with over the decades they've run this propaganda campaign of theirs.

Hell's bells, the GOP have managed to have their working class constituents vote against their own best interests for decades running in order to keep them from threatening the wealthy elite of whom are the sole owners and operators of the GOP.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
That should be pretty easy to verify.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/news/gmos

I definitely see some craziness in the opinion pieces at least. I'm noticing a trend too where they became less anti-GMO over time, with fear-mongering appearing in their articles more around 2013 and earlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/chipotle-gmo_n_3460402.html?utm_hp_ref=gmos
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/proposition-37-gmo-labeling_n_2090112.html?utm_hp_ref=gmos
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/conagra-lawsuit_n_936157.html?utm_hp_ref=gmos

Not to mention the comment boxes which clearly show the lean of the audience they serve.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Salon? The Nation? Mother Jones?

ETA: How do you define "Liberal Conspiracy?"

"Wage Gap"
"White Supremacy"
"Rape Culture"

That's how.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

"Wage Gap"
"White Supremacy"
"Rape Culture"

That's how.

Those aren't liberal conspiracy sites (though they usually do suck eggs) but thanks for playing... please insert coin and try again!

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I thought the whole 9/11 was an inside job thing was a liberal conspiracy theory. No?

Might want to check with Martin Sheen too.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005

I'm not familiar with the nation but the other two can get a bit sloppy, but more so in their commentary on things.

I'm sure there are, but I don' know of any. By the law of averages, there almost has to be.

It's really strange, you'd think that would be true, but it doesn't seem like it? Not nearly as many, at least. I'm gonna have to dig a bit later today, I'm so curious to see what they might say

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I thought the whole 9/11 was an inside job thing was a liberal conspiracy theory. No?

Might want to check with Martin Sheen too.

Was that a liberal conspiracy? Seems like those type of conspiracy theories aren't affiliated with a party, more so with real mental illness or ignorance

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Was that a liberal conspiracy? Seems like those type of conspiracy theories aren't affiliated with a party, more so with real mental illness or ignorance
oh maybe. i dunno. i just assumed that since bush was pres at the time that it was a liberal conspiracy theory.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Easy

Wage Gap - real
Obama Kenyan Muslim - conspiracy

I enjoy how he calls rape culture a liberal conspiracy after Cosby, Ailes, and Trump.

How many (alleged) women did they harass combined?

Hell the EEOC sees several thousand cases of alleged sexual harassment a year and those are just the ones reported. (Interestingly about 15-20% are reported by men).

No painmans list looks like real things he'd rather not think about as he gives it up to the Donald.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
ok let's stay on topic please! you can debate that stuff elsewhere if you don't mind