Are there is some high end graphics cards without coil whine?

ruthan

Apr 3, 2014
Hello,
i wonder is there are still some high end graphics card without coil whine? Its just product bad feature - physical limits or manufacturers are skimp on parts? Is some manufacturer better for it, or its on per item base.

Its shame that reviews usually ignoring it and as far as i dont know manufacturer which have no coil whine guarantee or something like that.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
my 2080ti FE's have no coil whine nor do my 1070FE's nor does my Radeon VII or Vega 64 LC

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just wait some time as your body ages and the ear loses the high frequency sensitivity. ;)

WHAT?
aah.gif

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Hello,
i wonder is there are still some high end graphics card without coil whine? Its just product bad feature - physical limits or manufacturers are skimp on parts? Is some manufacturer better for it, or its on per item base.

Its shame that reviews usually ignoring it and as far as i dont know manufacturer which have no coil whine guarantee or something like that.
Per item basis. Pretty much all the electronic chips, ic's, coils's and so on are supplied by the same manufacturers. The coils are pretty much made to pretty tight specs, but you put that much power through anything and chances are you can create that coil whine. It's more luck when you don't get it then bad luck when you do and more devices have it that people don't notice because of fans, ambient noise, and other reasons. There are some mitigating factors that they can put into play but we are talking about super highend boards that are basically LN2 ready. So like $150-200 more then the normal cards and I don't know if anybody does these any more. Even then there is still a chance for coil whine, just left, and coil whine isn't considered a defect.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I have a 1070ti that had coil whine. Turned out that it was actually a bad PSU. Once I replaced my HX750 (thanks Corsair warranty!) the whine was gone.

Point being - it could be brought on by a failure in another part.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I have a 1070ti that had coil whine. Turned out that it was actually a bad PSU. Once I replaced my HX750 (thanks Corsair warranty!) the whine was gone.

Point being - it could be brought on by a failure in another part.
That is a really good point these guys are really sensitive beasts, dirty power from the board or PSU could probably cause it as well.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Coil whine is interesting. For example, my GPU running < 60% load with ~100 FPS will coil like a mofo! Same GPU, same game, with less CPU bottleneck, GPU will load up to like 90% frames will drop to around 50-60, and my GPU's whine is quieter.

60 FPS with 50-60% load, no whine.

Don't get it.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
It's certainly possible to design a card so that it doesn't whine. There are a few obstacles though:

1. It's not something that is specified by inductor manufacturers, so you have to buy a bunch and test them yourself.
  2. Not enough customers care, so there is no incentive to do the above.

I have heard of no reports of coil whine from Radeon VII.
Mine produces a slight hissing buzz that I can hear if I take the side of the case off. It's louder under load, audible if I put my head close to the case even with the side on. It's quieter than the fans though, and much better than many other cards I've had.

It's hard to tell how much coil whine a card has from other people's reports because other people have very different sensitivities to noise (just look at the reviews for the Radeon VII, where some reviewers complain about the fan noise while some think it's quiet even at 3K RPM).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Mine produces a slight hissing buzz that I can hear if I take the side of the case off. It's louder under load, audible if I put my head close to the case even with the side on. It's quieter than the fans though, and much better than many other cards I've had.

Now I've heard one, so I know it's possible. Thanks!

It's hard to tell how much coil whine a card has from other people's reports because other people have very different sensitivities to noise (just look at the reviews for the Radeon VII, where some reviewers complain about the fan noise while some think it's quiet even at 3K RPM).

My PC sounds like an airport for model airplanes. Adding more fan noise to the mix makes no difference to me. Eh, sonny?!??

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
All my pc's are built with quietness in mind
I haven't experienced coil whine.
Past 3 high-end cards purchased.
EVGA GTX 570, (Early 2011) -Was in use up until January of this year.
EVGA GTX 780 SC (Late 2013?) Still in use
EVGA RTX2060 (this year) - Use it everyday)

Other card running in the household....no coil whine MSIHD7770 - Still in use.

Only noise I ever hear is fans.

I do have a monitor that whines on occasion. An old NEC.

RaV666

Jan 26, 2004
Coil whine MOSTLY shows when pushing very high FPS`s ,so the solution is to have higher gfx settings or locking down the fps to some lower number.
For example my vega 56 doesnt whine generally, but at around 90+ FPS it CAN.
As said earlier it also has some connection with psu ,but if psu makes your gfx whine, it doesnt mean its broken.Also, some people use a glue gun to "fix" the coil whine.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
All my pc's are built with quietness in mind
I haven't experienced coil whine.
Past 3 high-end cards purchased.
EVGA GTX 570, (Early 2011) -Was in use up until January of this year.
EVGA GTX 780 SC (Late 2013?) Still in use
EVGA RTX2060 (this year) - Use it everyday)

Other card running in the household....no coil whine MSIHD7770 - Still in use.

Only noise I ever hear is fans.

I do have a monitor that whines on occasion. An old NEC.
Keep in mind that devices that are making other noises tend to hide coil whine. Like the Xbox 360 power bricks. Most made tones of coilwhine. But they had an internal fan and where generally placed behind other things like the TV that were making noise. But I guess that's also something to keep in mind that the real issue is when the pitch in the whine becomes bad enough to hear it through the fans. I think you will find that most cards make some whine, but you only notice it when its really bad. I don't suggest double checking your devices though. Once you hear it you can't not hear it in the future.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I wear headphones and have a full tower with five 140mm fans, but I haven't heard any coil whine out of my EVGA 2080 Ti.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
My EVGA 2080 FTW3 Ultra has coil whine but its not too loud and I always wear headphones.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
I went through 3 different 2080 ti, and all had coil whine. My present MSI Ventus (regular edition) is clearly the best one. Certain things will trigger additional coil whine, but in most cases it's pretty much inaudible during gaming - even in more quiet parts of games. Asus Rog Strix was the worst one, it even had some coil whine when idle after gaming.

I notice a couple of things. Most of people here claiming they have no coil whine have less power-hungry cards like RTX 2060, as power consumption is definitely connected to coil whine. Also, I suspect that some people claiming no coil whine, have either noisy enviroments/computers or does not notice it. I seriously doubt any 2080 ti cards have absolutely no coil whine, but I could be wrong of course. I've also read posts from people going through 6-7 2080ti cards or whatever, and all had coil whine. Obviously, some cards are worse than others though.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I went through 3 different 2080 ti, and all had coil whine. My present MSI Ventus (regular edition) is clearly the best one. Certain things will trigger additional coil whine, but in most cases it's pretty much inaudible during gaming - even in more quiet parts of games. Asus Rog Strix was the worst one, it even had some coil whine when idle after gaming.

I notice a couple of things. Most of people here claiming they have no coil whine have less power-hungry cards like RTX 2060, as power consumption is definitely connected to coil whine. Also, I suspect that some people claiming no coil whine, have either noisy enviroments/computers or does not notice it. I seriously doubt any 2080 ti cards have absolutely no coil whine, but I could be wrong of course. I've also read posts from people going through 6-7 2080ti cards or whatever, and all had coil whine. Obviously, some cards are worse than others though.
Have you tried EVGA as many have suggested ? I have 5 2080TI's all running@96% or more 24/7, NO coil whine.

Reactions: Mac34 and ozzy702

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
Had a few high ends (8800GTS, 5970, 7970, 980Ti and 1080Ti now) and the only coil whine that I had was with a corsair HX1000W.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Have you tried EVGA as many have suggested ? I have 5 2080TI's all running@96% or more 24/7, NO coil whine.
Hi Mark. EVGA aren't sold by most venders in Norway, so I didn't think about buying an EVGA, though after checking I see some Norwegian online shops selling this brand. I just recently got into computers again after using only Macs for 15 years, so it was a bit of a learning curve getting into computers again (what components to get etc). Next time I will definitely consider EVGA, and I've also read good things about Zotac AMP cards.

Fortunately there is very little coil whine from my Ventus 2080 ti (regular edition, not OC), and I'm not sure I want to purchase another expensive card for *maybe* 150mhz sustained higher GPU clock in a best case scenario.

My Ventus overclocks quite well for a non-binned card with 112% power limit (sustained 1875-1890mhz in Crysis 3 maxed out at 80c), though probably a bit lower in games using RTX/RT. When overclocking the card at 270+/800+, I get about 12% performance improvement, so getting a high-end 2080ti could get me another 5-7% performance increase, but not necessarily. My previous Rog Strix 2080 ti OC was rather disappointing in terms of overclocking (and very noisy!). I almost bought a Gigabyte 2080 ti Waterforce, but that's a lot of money for only a few more fps.

Last edited:

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
My EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra does 2050mhz easily with 110% power limit and +75 core clock. I'm sure it could go further but I'm not one to push things to the absolute limit. I haven't played with memory OC since I doubt that's much of a bottleneck. From what I can tell, zero coil whine.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
My EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra does 2050mhz easily with 110% power limit and +75 core clock. I'm sure it could go further but I'm not one to push things to the absolute limit. I haven't played with memory OC since I doubt that's much of a bottleneck. From what I can tell, zero coil whine.
Resolution, temperature? Core clock depends on the game or demo also. Timespy here runs well into the 1900s, which is higher than in the more recent games I play. While Witcher 3 and Metro Exodus with RTX enabled hits a lower core clock point (1820-1890 at 80C). IMO I'd rather run the card a bit hotter (80C maxed out), and have a bit lower core frequencies, than a very noisy fan profile.

My guess is that the EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra runs at a default higher power limit, and it's stock power limit could very well be similar to the Ventus at 112%.
Though I wonder how much difference in performance those last 150mhz gives, if it's a linear curve or not. Again, the Rog Strix OC I had (112+) scored a few hundred points higher in Timespy, but actually had 1-2% lower fps vs Ventus in a few games I tested... I read so many positive things about that lacklustre card, too bad I didn't go for the EVGA instead.

Last edited:

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Which game or benchmark? What resolution? Sustained? Temperature? I notice some games demands less power from the card than others. Timespy here runs at a higher frequency than the most demanding games. I notice especially Witcher 3 (3440x1440) at very high settings (above maxed out vanilla incl. mods) runs at a lower frequency than Crysis 3 for instance, same goes for Metro Exodus with RTX enabled.

Having said that your EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra probably runs at a default higher power limit, and it's stock power limit could be higher than the Ventus at 112%.

Since getting the 2080TI I've mostly been playing BFV and Anthem. Anthem crushes it with sustained 100% usage and with afterburner running in the background it shows ~ 2050mhz and is usually 72C on the stock fan curve. This is on 1440p 144hz with maxed graphics settings.

I haven't paid attention to clock speeds and temps with Metro but with everything maxed it seems to play decently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac34

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Since getting the 2080TI I've mostly been playing BFV and Anthem. Anthem crushes it with sustained 100% usage and with afterburner running in the background it shows ~ 2050mhz and is usually 72F on the stock fan curve. This is on 1440p 144hz with maxed graphics settings.

I haven't paid attention to clock speeds and temps with Metro but with everything maxed it seems to play decently.
That's really good, seems like you got a great chip. My first Gainward 2080 ti card also was nowhere near that kind of high sustained clock rate. PS: 72F? You probably mean 72C.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
That's really good, seems like you got a great chip. My first Gainward 2080 ti card also was nowhere near that kind of high sustained clock rate. PS: 72F? You probably mean 72C.

oops, yep, 72C.