Are there enough jobs to absorb the thousands of international students who come here

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAisforlovers

Jun 24, 2009
Forget the anchor babies which is a problem in itself, but how about the thousands of international students mainly from China and India who come here every year? Majority of them come at the Master's graduate level because many Master's programs are cash cow programs for the universities. Most of the Master's programs are a joke letting so many students in as long as they just pay the tuition and they get some U.S. brand degree on their resume in return then they compete for all the U.S. jobs. I'm all for capitalism in that whoever allocates their resources the best should win but I just don't think other Americans can compete with them making them lose out on jobs or be forced to take underpaying positions. Are there enough jobs in the U.S. to absorb this increasing number of international students who come here every year? Is this trend making the U.S. better off or are there more negative implications?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
B/c they are a student doesn't mean they can just get a job here. They need to get a company to sponsor them thru a work visa and the US only issues a certain number of them. Most of them, end up going back home.

VAisforlovers

Jun 24, 2009
I am well aware of the required sponsorship, but I've seen this first hand and it appears pretty easy to get one as long as they don't have poor English skills. Many companies hire in large numbers ("incoming classes") and whether you are an international or not has 0 bearing. With the increasing number of international students each year, it seems that competition in the job market will only get worse especially since everyone is aiming for the same desirable roles at desirable companies.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
With a growing class of educated individuals, if the the rate at which those individuals are able to capitalize on ideas remains constant then the rate of job creation as a percent of the total population should remain constant.

The real problem is that hiring US citizens is simply to expensive for most industries causing the use of extralegal means and or loopholes in existing laws to hire outside individuals at significantly reduce compensation.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
From what I see in the news at today's colleges. The terms College student and Educated doesn't seem to apply much or belong in the same sentence.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
With a growing class of educated individuals, if the the rate at which those individuals are able to capitalize on ideas remains constant then the rate of job creation as a percent of the total population should remain constant.

The real problem is that hiring US citizens is simply to expensive for most industries causing the use of extralegal means and or loopholes in existing laws to hire outside individuals at significantly reduce compensation.

I was going to remark on a few things, but just reading your response says it all.

From what I see in the news at today's colleges. The terms College student and Educated doesn't seem to apply much or belong in the same sentence.

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I am well aware of the required sponsorship, but I've seen this first hand and it appears pretty easy to get one as long as they don't have poor English skills. Many companies hire in large numbers ("incoming classes") and whether you are an international or not has 0 bearing. With the increasing number of international students each year, it seems that competition in the job market will only get worse especially since everyone is aiming for the same desirable roles at desirable companies.

I'm pretty sure it definitely matters from a legal standpoint for a business whether or not the person they're hiring is a citizen of their country. You might be saying that so many students on visa eventually get citizenship if they graduate and wait long enough, which might be true, but then they aren't really international students anymore.

Big assumption. Even with Master's graduates, you're going to look at a lot of technicians and others that have minimal idea input. The people capitalizing on ideas are the ones hiring educated labor, and since capital is not finite, there are only so many people they can hire. This is why it's a joke to think a more educated workforce is automatically a more productive one. A person can graduate with a M.S. in biochemistry, handle a pipette, do some chromatography, etcetc, but those are still just merely manual skills if they're just taking orders. Get enough people doing it and it's literally no more valuable than operating a lawn mower or pool skimmer.

Last edited:

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
The student visas that college students from China receive will not allow them to legally work here in the States. I know that some may get hired “under the table” but how often is that really? International students are a net positive revenue source for this country. The college where I work actively recruits Chinese students because they are money makers for the university.

I have been personal friends with half a dozen Chinese college students (I made friends with them while trying to learn Mandarin at the university where I work), and only one of them have stayed in the USA to work after obtaining her degree (she received a master’s in business and stayed at the university to finish her doctoral degree and teach). But to do that she had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a visa that allowed her to work.

Chinese college students are not taking thousands of Jobs away from USAsians. Outsourcing to China is likely moving jobs out of the country, but International students are money makers for the USA. USA college degrees are one of the products that this country makes that much of the world desires and actively purchases. Please do not torpedo a valuable American made product with fear mongering.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Nope, there is a very limited amount of visas and tech companies for years have been fighting to have the number increased. International studies have to fight with the more experienced technical international workforce to get a visa and sponsorship.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This brain drain is great for America, IMO. I am in tech, so they do compete with me. But it's not a zero sum game.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The student visas that college students from China receive will not allow them to legally work here in the States. I know that some may get hired “under the table” but how often is that really? International students are a net positive revenue source for this country. The college where I work actively recruits Chinese students because they are money makers for the university.

Not often. If it does happen they tend to be stars in their field and have a revenue generating multiplier effect that easily make them worth it.

Aside from the financial aspect, student visas are incredible propaganda for the United States and its way of life. I have cousins who went to American universities and went back to Pakistan once their schooling was complete with great regret, and never fail to tell others their about what an incredible country the U.S. is and how much they enjoyed living there. There's really no downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.