Are there any way to keep roaches away?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
My dorm appears to have a cockroach problem. They've scurrying under my door and into my room here and there. I don't think my dorm's management is going to do anything about it because its not that bad. This place seems to be managed very poorly (poor maintenance, lack of A/C or heat for a while, etc).

Anyway, is there some way I can keep roaches away from my room? Maybe some kind of spray I can put around the entrances to keep them away.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
There is this electronic device you can buy at Home Depot that works. It's supersonic and drives them away.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: EGGO
There is this electronic device you can buy at Home Depot that works. It's supersonic and drives them away.

Do those actually work?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
have no food. when you stop cooking and start eating out, the roaches will move to the next door and feast on your neighbors food,

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The dorm mgmt has to do something. Complain to them.

In the meantime, I would buy cockroach poison traps and put them in the hallway.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
In a dorm, it'll be tough. I bought this orange goo in a big tube that worked pretty well years ago.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Pepsei
have no food. when you stop cooking and start eating out, the roaches will move to the next door and feast on your neighbors food,

This should work. Keep your place spotless, wipe up any food crumbs you leave behind.

...Or get a gecko.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
put down roach bait
boric acid

What exactly does boric acid do? I've bathed roaches in the stuff and it seems to do nothing at all to them. :(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
seal the door and take away any possible food sources.

I've gotten into the habit of keeping any food that's not canned either in the fridge or on the highest shelf possible. I also try out my sink/shower so there's no freestanding water sources around

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: amdhunter
put down roach bait
boric acid

What exactly does boric acid do? I've bathed roaches in the stuff and it seems to do nothing at all to them. :(

I've heard they eat it and it makes them basically melt into nothing. I don't believe it until I see it.

Roaches are difficult to deal with, and I don't for a second believe in those things you plug in your outlet that drive all bugs off with some supersonic pitch, sounds too easy.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
[George W Bush]A nukular blasts cannot even kill teh evil terrorist cockroaches.[/George W Bush]

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: amdhunter
put down roach bait
boric acid

I've heard they eat it and it makes them basically melt into nothing. I don't believe it until I see it.

Roaches are difficult to deal with, and I don't for a second believe in those things you plug in your outlet that drive all bugs off with some supersonic pitch, sounds too easy.

Their stomach drags through it and it slowly eats away at it. Slowly enough that they usually get back to the nest before they die, the other roaches eat them, ingest the boric acid, it eats through THEM pretty slowly, etc.

It works but it's a pain in the ass to use properly. Just clean up your room and don't bring food in there again for a few weeks. They'll move on to greasier pastures.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Move to Northern California. I've literally never seen a cockroach. :)

Seriously, lay down some death-strength insecticide.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Boric acid worked for me. My landlord gave me a big bottle of it and I put it under the fridge and behind the oven. In about a week, it went from infestation to once in a while sightings.

moonbit

Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
I also try out my sink/shower so there's no freestanding water sources around

Yeah, get rid of water. Sometimes, that's all they're after.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: EGGO

Those devises are phony. They don't work. The sound they emit is supposed to sound like a dragonfly in flight. Problem is, few insects have ears, count cockroaches among those that don't. They can sense vibrations, they have sensors in their feet, but those ultrasonic devices don't set the ground or walls to vibrating, so cockroaches will not detect them. These phony pest repellants are illegal to sell in California.